Elliptial vs. Treadmill

Options
I find that using the elliptial is somewhat easier for me (not that it's easy at all). I still sweat and i feel like i had a good workout. I usually do between 3-5 miles on the elliptial around 5 days a week. Is this less beneficial than using the treadmill though? I just dont like the treadmill much but i cant help but think that I'm cheating or something, even though i still feel like I'm working hard.

Replies

• KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really like the elliptical. When I monitor my heart rate, I can control it better and keep it higher on the elliptical.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I notice I tend to move faster on the elliptical than on the treadmill... but I think this is bc I used my arms as well and it's a different movement. I try to do both.. I actually prefer the treadmill bc it is harder to me and I like to feel challenged to reach my goal sometimes... but I think overall they're both beneficial.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goal is. The elliptical is great cardio exercise with low impact. If you want to be a runner then the treadmill is the better option but both are good and the best one is the one that you'll actually do!
  • jpwic
    jpwic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hehe I know it's not one of the options, but I love the AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer)! It's like doing both at once!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. I can WALK outside besides if your not running or walking uphill at a good
    pace on the treadmill you won't burn a lot of calories.
  • Want2BRunner
    Want2BRunner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I feel that after a few mile run on the treadmill I've gotten an excellent workout. (dripping sweat) With the elliptical and the Arc machine I don't feel the "Burn" as much but the calories burned are about the same. When I walk into the gym I find myself leaning towards the harder workout. If I don't then I come home and end up doing more cardio. UGH! I just don't know
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on your joints and such. That's what I use. I think running on the treadmill or outside probably does more for you, but it can be brutal on your knees.
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    I feel elliptical is a little easier too when the incline is higher and I go faster then I do and even burn more calories on it then I do on treadmill, But since I'm not dripping in sweat I don't feel like I did a good job when I actually burned more, elliptical sure is weird. But I try to do a little of both because sometimes I feel more satisfied with treadmill.
  • gbellsatx
    gbellsatx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You ust keep doing what make you get to the gym!! Maybe do some intervals from time to time to change things up but just keep going!!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You most definitely get a better burn and workout on the treadmill. I use both so I use all my muscles, but I say by far the Treadmill is the best way to go. You want to add some resistance training to the mix too, not just cardio.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories doing the treadmill at 15 incline at a slower pace than I burn on the elliptical at a faster pace in the same amount of time. So I say the treadmill lol
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I don't use machines anymore but when I did I'd do both. Why the heck not? The gym is boring and sometimes you need a change of scenery and I could never decide which was better anyway. This used to be my everyday gym workout and I'd burn about 500 calories:

dynamic stretching
    5 minute treadmill warm up: walking fast, incline 1
    20-30 minute elliptical jam: at the hardest level you can, or range (intervals)
    10 minute mile on the treadmill with an incline of at least 1
    5 minute treadmill cool down: walking, reducing pace
    static stretching
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I do both. I generally use the elliptical to warm up before I do weights. I use the treadmill after doing weights to loosen up the legs, back, and arms. If the weather is rainy, sloppy, and/or cold, the gym is about the only option I have for exercise. There is a lake nearby that is 1 1/4 miles around, and when the weather is nice, I'm out there. I also have an elliptical at home.

I used to think that I would be bored using equipment at the gym, but I use that time as a sort of meditation. The time flies.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I like to mix them up, personally, but I definitely work more on the elliptical than the treadmill - too much running really sores out my ankles!

If you are working hard enough, either one is plenty adequate, I would say.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My knees bother me when I use the elliptical, so treadmill it is :)
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Elliptical all the way for me. Easier on the joints and a better way to monitor your heartrate, burns more calories and gives me an overall better workout!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hehe I know it's not one of the options, but I love the AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer)! It's like doing both at once!

Oh no...I just googled it, and if it's the machine I'm thinking of at the gym I absolutely HATE it. I have zero co-ordination and I get muddled up within seconds on that thing hahaha. I last about 20 seconds and that's it.
  • sharibee66
    sharibee66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill as the elliptical is hard on my knees also. I find the hill and mountain climbs are a good workout. I do still have a shot on the elliptical but 5 minutes is all I can manage.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical because it's easier on the joints. For some reason, my hips tend to hurt when I do the treadmill. Plus, it just seems like I can work much harder and burn a lot more calories on the elliptical without it being so hard on my body.
  • bachoat
    Options
    I LOVE AMT !!!!