"Don't lose anymore weight"

Options

Replies

• Pixie90
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from! friends and family say it to me.. but I'm not at the size I want to be yet. I don't hate my body anymore, but I'm not 100% happy either.. Also it's not just about losing weight I want to feel healthy!!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What could be happening is that you are eating on plan as you report, it's just that the plan contains more calories than you need to lose weight. To lose weight you must consume fewer calories than you burn no matter how much exercise you do.

what in the world does this have to do with the original post?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Given your age and that you hate your body they are probably just concerned about your potential for an eating disorder. I'm pretty sure if you talk to your doctor about HOW you are losing weight he will see that it's a healthy thing and be less dramatic. You should still be able to lose some and stay in a healthy range, but if they haven't seen you in a while and the change came as a shock to them they are probably just worried about your methods, especially if they have seen you struggle for several years in the past. In general I just ignore people who say things like that, or give them the standard "I'm sorry you feel that way" response. I consider weight a personal decision, but a lot of people don't have that boundary.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I get so tired of the people who always try to police everyone else's bodies. Yes, EVEN doctors. Just because they are a doctor does not mean they necessarily know what is right for you. I say, as long as you are healthy and going about weight loss in a constructive way and have a goal within healthy range for your height/age, then do what you want with YOUR body. :flowerforyou:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well dear, I know where you are coming from. I had a host of people telling me that crap a few months ago. I even had a few people suggest I gain a few pounds. It was very upsetting to me because I looked in the mirror and did not see the fitness model body that I so desperately want to have. I would read on the forums about other people hearing the same thing and would read all the comments like, screw them, its your body, do what you want, and so on, so I decided that haters gonna hate and I would stay on my path.

Last month I went to get a keratin treatment and we took before and after shots for my stylists facebook page. I was HORRIFIED at what I saw in those pictures. I saw a girl that looked like death. I was to thin, not only did I not need to lose anymore weight, I needed to gain it. Simple fact of the matter is, the mental aspect of me not feeling perfect (or those darn fitness model pics) kept me very sick in the head thinking that I had to look a certain way to be happy. Not true.

I took a month off of logging from here and gained some weight, as a matter of fact, I gained a little bit more than necessary and I am going to enjoy working out to firm and tone.

Here is a fact, if you do not believe in your doctor or the things he tells you, change doctors. The people on this site do not earn a PHD from posting countless posts on their opinion on how others should live.

Be healthy. Eat healthy and exercise. Do not deny yourself. You have a long life ahead of you and if you do it right, it will be a good one.

Congratulations on your weight loss. That is a big freaking deal. You rock!

If you ever need someone to talk to about body image, feel free to contact me. If you look at my pictures you will see what I look like, and know that I was still not happy with my body in those pics. That was a Lesa brain problem, not a Lesa body problem.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get so tired of the people who always try to police everyone else's bodies. Yes, EVEN doctors. Just because they are a doctor does not mean they necessarily know what is right for you. I say, as long as you are healthy and going about weight loss in a constructive way and have a goal within healthy range for your height/age, then do what you want with YOUR body. :flowerforyou:

Not saying Dr.'s are always correct, but the assumption that "only you know what's right for you" is incredibly flawed. If we intuitively knew what was right for our bodies, we wouldn't develop eating disorders. I have seen on this site and in life many women who are obsessed with losing more weight who are already underweight. We do not have the best opinions on our own bodies and health. If you are concerned that your doctor may be incorrect, address this issue with him or her, don't just ignore the advice because you think you know better.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've totally gotten that from people - saying I'm wasting away to nothing - which is totally NOT the case in any way shape or form - but they're all used to seeing me at a much higher weight. As long as you stay within a healthy weight range there is not problem with losing more weight. Just make sure you're incorporating lots of strength training/toning in the process. I wish I had done much more of that with my initial weight loss - I think then my body would be much closer to what I want it to look like if I had done more with weights earlier on. But either way - congrats on your loss - and unless you get under a healthy weight just keep pushing towards your goals! :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Doctors are just people. And doctor's secretaries are just people. The ultimate "compliment" these days to people who are successful at losing weight is "don't lose anymore weight." Unless he gave you a medical reason to not lose anymore, just take it for what it probably was, your doctor's feeble and rote attempt at a compliment. My guess it was something like "you look great! you don't need to lose anymore....." or "wow, what a transformation...Don't lose anymore weight, okay?" I think it's just a thing.

That, and have you seen the number of overweight doctors? I've had doctors be 50+ pounds overweight before. My OB was a good 50 pounds overweight and giving me weight gain/loss advice during my last pregnancy. When I went in for a medical situation a few months later, he'd lost all that weight and was not so much on the "don't lose anymore" bandwagon anymore. Apparently, HIS doctor told him he had HBP and his cholesterol was out of control. They're just people.
  • iSurvive
    Options
    I think you should seek out a new doctor. You obviously don't trust the medical advice of this one.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Unless you are heading for seriously underweight, no issue on keep on losing til you are happy.
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who advised to ignore them. Listen to yourself. I didn't follow this advise during my first weight loss journey. I listed to people telling me I'd lost enough and needed to eat and I ended up gaining all my weight back plus more. Now I am listening to ME. You have to be happy with yourself.
  • lornaloo3
    Options
    I'm still over 200 pounds, so when someone asks me how much further I plan on going I tell them I'm only about halfway, at which point they get totally horrified. I've been told I'm 'big boned' and I am 'not meant to be as thin as my sister' and that I'll 'look weird' if I lose more weight...

Some people want you to stay big because it makes them being big more valid. Some people are petty. You should talk to your doctor and make sure there isn't a valid medical reason why you shouldn't lose more -- then explain to him that you still want to lose a bit more, but that you're willing to do another check up in ten pounds or so.

There is also something to be said for body dismorphia here. I barely see the changes in my body and I'm down 55 pounds. Other people tell me how different I look. If you think you may have body dismorphia then now's a good time to find a therapist to talk to about it.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When the comment "Don't lose anymore weight" comes from someone who has no knowledge of your lifestyle -- then that comment has less authority.

If your doctor discussed your diet, your lifestyle, your fitness plans, your hobbies, your goals -- then the comment should carry more authority.
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Might be because it is quite shocking to see someone drop a lot of weight (because, well, most people don't do that).

For Dr. / Secretary, the reason for being so adamant might be that they are worried you are changing in a way that would be hurtful for your health (eating disorder, for example).

For friends / acquaintances, the reason for nagging might be because they are chubby themselves, and seeing you get fit is making them feel poorly about themselves.

These are just guesses, but honestly, I think it is an overreaction from everyone really - if you explain that you aren't doing anything fishy, no-one should end up worried..
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I agree with Johloz- your doctor is not an *kitten*, he/she must have said that for a reason. Did you ask why?
    23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your body. Your choice. Just smile politely and keep on keepin' on! :happy:
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would call the doctors office. Ask the nurse to look up your stats on the chart, and ask her/him what is the healthy weight range for you. I believe some people are just trying to be nice when they say don't lose anymore. I wish I would hear the words instead your hard work is really paying off....
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It used to offend me too, because I thought people were lying to me. They told me 20lbs ago I didn't need to lose more, I showed them! I really hate when people ask me how much more I want to lose and freak out! But the way I see it, if you are looking to get to a realistic weight for your height and body frame, then screw em.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would call the doctors office. Ask the nurse to look up your stats on the chart, and ask her/him what is the healthy weight range for you. I believe some people are just trying to be nice when they say don't lose anymore. I wish I would hear the words instead your hard work is really paying off....

Definitely follow up with the doctor. This is a doctor that knows you very well, (as well as the rest of your family it appears). She may have spotted signs that your body is under stress from your new lifestyle. She may worry about the rate of your weight loss, or your psychological state.

Most likely, she just needs reassurance that your weightloss was done thoughtfully and soundly, but it could be that she sees something that you don't. Our self-image is often grossly distorted.
  • kenziestx
    Options
    If you don't like how you LOOK, why are you hung up on a number on the SCALE? Don't worry about what the scale says, throw it away. Focus on strength training gaining definition and muscle. You will probably weight more, but you will like how look better.

^THIS!!!! ^^^^ SERIOUSLY, stop weighing in. Measure yourself, do the 30 Day Shred and re-measure yourself. I guarantee you will be smaller and have more definition. You will prob weigh the same give or take 1-2 lbs but you will be in a smaller size pant and probably like the way you look much more without relying on what the scale says.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!