Have you noticed a change with age?

Options
2»

Replies

• coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is aging.....it happens to all of us (if you are fortunate).

This.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I wasted most of my 20's being a 350 pound oaf. In that regard I'm in better shape, stronger, and have better stamina than I did when I was in my early and mid-20's.

I'm not working out as much as I did in High School, cause frankly I don't have the time. However, I have a pretty aggressive workout plan and the one place I see age showing up is it takes me longer to recover from everything. A few Saturday's ago I was out till 3am. When I was younger I could sleep for 4 hours and be good to go. This time, I had to take a nap Sunday afternoon, and I didn't feel like I was back up to 100% till Tuesday. Stuff like that.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! I am only 23 and I feel like I have aged a lot in the past 3 years. My body has changed, my abilities have changed....just gotta keep on working at it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'll be 26 at the beginning of March. I have noticed that I just don't have the same pep I had back when I was 19-20 in terms of exercise. I don't seem to have the energy to keep up with the workouts that I used to do--upwards of 2-3 hrs/day while in school full time and working a job or two. I could go non-stop from 6am to 12am! That being said, I have found that it's easier to maintain my weight these days even with less strenuous workouts.

Has anyone else noticed a change as they've aged? I still look fairly young for 26, but I can definitely tell I'm looking older. My bf is 30 and I recently saw some pics from when he was 25, and he has definitely aged since then (very well I might add!).
    Man, if I was 26 again, I'd be rocking the weights! Slowly my strength has diminished and recovery takes more time. But damn, I'm still better at 48 then lots of 20 year olds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and feel amazing... better than ever. But I can't stay up late like I used to. :blushing:
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Of course! But I didn't really notice it until recently, I turned 40 last month.

The weight loss (-80lbs) has really helped me feel more energetic and youthful than I ever did in my 20's or 30's! As others have said,I can't tie one on like I used to, and I do love my sleep now. There are some small lines that weren't there before, but there ain't a damn thing wrong with laugh lines.

Now the forehead lines from raising my eyebrows at people's WTF moments... those are another story!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    On the other hand, if you're 26 you should never, ever, ever be allowed to speak of "aging"! Please, just smile, shush and be nice! When you hit 30 you can say something, but for the sake of the rest of us, keep it brief!

LOL, this^^ ! Except I'd say wait until you're at least 35. :)

I'm 39, 40 in March, and yes, aging sucks. Technically, I am in better shape now than I was in my 20's, but that's not because I was overweight, then; I was just partying. I'm in probably the best shape of my life now, but frankly, that's because I work HARDER for it. When I was 26, if I wanted to lose 5lbs, all I had to do was take time away from my bar-hopping to work out maybe 2-3x a week and BAM. Now I work out every.blessed.day. If you take care of yourself you can be in great shape, lifting, running marathons into your 70's. But the key is that the older you get, the more conscious effort you'll probably have to put into it. :)
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    At 53 my energy level is still pretty high. The weight doesn't come off as easy, that's for sure. I have to work really hard and eat very little. I am still peri-menopause, so I am fighting that, but will not use it as an excuse. It has taken me 5 months to lose 19lbs. But I am happy with it. It's better than gaining. Oh to be in my 20's again, boy would I treat my body better.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I can do everything I did 20 years ago...BETTER (but less often). I think men experience a peak in late teens, that is followed by a marked "aging" or actually maturity. Women's aging is more steady. Think "tortoise and the hare".
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I guess there should be two comparisons.

1. Difference between when I was younger (and heavier) vs now (older and lighter):

There are obvious benefits to being older and in shape vs younger and out of shape. I dont think this was the question you were asking.

2. Difference between when I was younger (and in shape) vs now (older and in shape):

I think this is the question you want answered. For myself, the main differences between when I was in my mid 20s, in shape and 165 lbs vs now, 43, in shape and 170 lbs are the following:

My joints make a slight popping/cracking noise when doing shoulder exercises. Due to lower testosterone levels (or slower metabolism probably due to lower testosterone), it takes a longer to recover from exercising. During my 20s, I could exercise, party and drink with friends until the early morning hours (3-4am), get 2-3 hours sleep and be good to go the next day. Today, I get tired beginning at 10:30-11:00, I need at least 61/2 hrs sleep or I cannot function the next day. During my 20s, if I needed to lose 5-10 lbs, it could be achieved in a month or so with very little effort. At 43, it requires a lot more effort.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The only differnece I feel is that back when I was in my late teens, and early 20's I could go out all night, and then go to the gym, lift a ton, and run a couple of miles and feel perfectly fine doing it. Now if I go out for a friends birthday or something and stay up drinking, I can do about a half mile running, and about two sets lifting before I want to die haha. If it is normal situations, I actaully have more energy, now just can't lift as much though, because of the weight loss.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Change with age,yes! But, I am 47 and much better shape than in my 20's..All due to proper food,ex and Lifting weights!

If I could tell anyone in 20's advice..LIFT heavy,eat right..and stay out of the sun w/out sunscreen;-)
  • Leesburgfor
    Options
    Looks like I'm the oldest...58yo. I'm LOL about some of the complaints. Unfortunately it gets harder especially for us females. But I keep moving! I may ache a little more but I feel great.
    I lost 48 lbs 3years ago and my weight has been creeping up. I find maintenance harder so I'm back to what worked before, low cal and exercise!! There is no shortcut. I'm disabled and have days when I feel like I've been hit by a truck plus BP meds can make me feel like I'm walking in mud. i maintain my 1200 cal and get back to gym as soon as I can. It called perseverance.
    Age doesn't matter it my attitude . I take it One Day at a Time.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it just reinforces the fact that it's not a contest. We need to work out at our own level regardless.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Yep at 39 I could eat more and excess weight went to my hips. At 44 I gain more easily and excess weight goes to my waist. Oh and I have age related calcific tendonitis . I'm falling apart:). But having a calorie deficit actually works,now and always
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Our bodies very UNFAIRLY decied to switch off hormones that change how we look and feel.

I say we revolt.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I guess there should be two comparisons.

1. Difference between when I was younger (and heavier) vs now (older and lighter):

There are obvious benefits to being older and in shape vs younger and out of shape. I dont think this was the question you were asking.

2. Difference between when I was younger (and in shape) vs now (older and in shape):

I think this is the question you want answered. For myself, the main differences between when I was in my mid 20s, in shape and 165 lbs vs now, 43, in shape and 170 lbs are the following:

My joints make a slight popping/cracking noise when doing shoulder exercises. Due to lower testosterone levels (or slower metabolism probably due to lower testosterone), it takes a longer to recover from exercising. During my 20s, I could exercise, party and drink with friends until the early morning hours (3-4am), get 2-3 hours sleep and be good to go the next day. Today, I get tired beginning at 10:30-11:00, I need at least 61/2 hrs sleep or I cannot function the next day. During my 20s, if I needed to lose 5-10 lbs, it could be achieved in a month or so with very little effort. At 43, it requires a lot more effort.

Good point! I am still in shape IMO and I was back then, but these days I have slightly less general endurance but am more weight stable. I also need more sleep. Naps!! :P
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, but in short the answer is yes. I'm 29 and the biggest difference I noticed is right when I turned 28. In my case, I hate driving lond distances now, need a bit more time to recoiver, when I wake up I start to feel some of those joints that have been pounded on over the years due to my military career. But, on the other side, I feel as though I'm close to my peak in fitness. My endurance has gone way up, I can push my body a lot harder and longer than my younger peers, and I need less sleep, maybe I just got used to it since I have a family now. But yeah, I feel your pain. However, at 26 you shouldnt be noticing a whole lot of difference from when you were 19, if anything, you should be improving.

Well I was hard on my body for those 7 years. I definitely peaked last year in terms of performance and body composition.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was always thin when I was younger and could eat whatever I wanted. Now that I'm older - not so much. And I don't remember needing sleep when I was younger. But I went to see a band last Sunday night, didn't get to bed until 2:30, got up at 6:30 for Monday for work and was so tired I wanted to cry. Plus I looked like an extra from The Walking Dead.

Other than that, I'm just refusing to age. Mind over matter. I have a very active imagination so I can pretend this is working.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. To be honest, I've felt exhausted for as long as I can remember. The biggest change is how I'm able to handle it.