Alternative to salad dressing

Options

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Try Thai sweet chilli sauce. Makes a fantastic dressing if you don't mind a bit of heat.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A lower sodium alternative--and one that I like a bit more than plain olive oil and vinegar--is to mix a touch of Dijon mustard in with the olive oil and vinegar and make it into more of a French vinaigrette.

^^^This!

To make a creamy honey dijon use plain, nonfat Chobani, balsamic vinegar (garlic wine vinegar works well....experiment with different varieties), dijon musturd, crushed garlic and a touch of honey.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I enjoy lemon or lime juice they add a brightness to the lettuce..and help cleanse the palate.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I make most of my dressings from scratch, the salt is added to premade dressings to keep them from spoiling during transport and shelf life, the same dressings made from scratch will be much healthier. They will usually only last a week or two, but you can make as much or as little as you need in that time period.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i like to use homemade salsa in place of dressing
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Tahini is good on salads, too.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, italian seasoning, pepper, and lemon juice on my salads.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you want to try to get away from salad dressings, you can grill onions, peppers and mushrooms and put them on top of the salads (season them however you want when you are grilling/sauteing them). The 'juice' from them can really add a lot of flavor to your salad.

Vinegar and oil are good. There are a lot of flavored vinegars out there besides balsamic if you don't enjoy the balsamic. I found a blueberry one that was incredible.

Salsa is really good on salads too. If you want a creamy dressing, you can take salsa and mix in just a little of sour cream and you start to get a really decent creamy dressing too.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said - I've done my own with olive oil and vinegar (though I use rice wine), if I'm at home I just add both then mix the salad; if I take it to work, it's mixed in a container first. Then I add spices (salt, pepper, garlic & onion powders, oregano, thyme) to taste. I've also done avocado and/or cottage cheese. I've also started adding coconut oil to whatever protein I'm adding to my salad - heat, mix, eat, don't need any other dressing.

I might have to try the dijion mustard idea, though - thanks, Hambone! :)
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    How are you cooking your tuna and chicken? If you are having chicken breast, for ex, and putting it in the oven with even just 1/2-1tsp of evoo then the juices from the chicken would be enough for you and you won't need any dressing.
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never liked the taste of any salad dressing... But I have found that if you squeeze lemon wedges over your salad it makes it not so dry & bland.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, italian seasoning, pepper, and lemon juice on my salads.

YUM!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, red pepper flake and mashed avocado.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, but not as much as most recipes call for. Any kind of vinegar I have on hand, which can be rice wine vinegar, red wine, seasoned rice, regular, apple cider vinegar, a bit of balsamic, whatever. I add herbs like parsley, oregano, basal and some garlic or garlic powder, paprika, a pinch of salt, pepper and if I'm in the mood for something sweeter I'll add a little sugar, honey or lemon. I also add different varieties of mustard like spicy mustard, dijon, honey mustard and Walmart has a low sodium/no sodium (not sure) southwest spicy mustard that I use since I have to cut back on sodium too. I usually keep it in the frig overnight if I can wait that long to use it. Shake it like crazy before you use it. I put it on tomatoes, cukes, whole grain pasta and of course, salads.
    There are a million recipes out there. Look some up, get a large sized canning jar, mix up your healthier ingredients and voila! Fresh and healthy dressing! It also tastes a LOT better.
    If you dont want to add oil due to the fat calories, there are recipes that call for cooking the dressing with a bit of cornstarch to thicken it and disperse the flavors the same way oil does.
    Also you can used dried herbs instead of fresh and they sell them at Sams club or costco in huge, cheap containers. It's like a dollar more than the little bottles you find in the supermarket.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I like to mix balsamic vinegar and fat free italian. OR, (my favorite) put a blob on guacamole on the salad and use salsa.
  • bthewes2
    Options
    In the past, I have used cottage cheese. It is actually quite nice plus you get calcium and protien.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    extra virgin olive oit (tiny bit) and balsamic with oregano- acts like a greek dressing. I also LOVE a good Balsamic glaze, its heavily reduced so you only need a little and has a sweeter taste than your basic vinegar. Plus you don't need any oil with that stuff. I put it on everything!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Just saying...

Salads tend to be high in fiber, which can help lower cholesterol levels... but this can only be done if the fiber is ingested along with fats.

So, a regular, non-fat-free salad dressing is actually healthier and better for the body. More calories yeah. But, if the salad is ate along with a meal that contains fats, then its perfectly reasonable for a non-fat dressing.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use a teaspoon or 2 of medium spicy salsa! It adds flavor w/out any fat at all!
    Another alternative is a 1/2 teaspoon of cocnut oil with pinch of garlic salt and pepper.
    You could also go sweet with a few raisins, cut up, small pieces of tangerine/orange, and shopped walnut!
    Experiment! I eat a salad almost every day!:smile: