Will it ever be enough?

Options
does anyone have a person in their life that they feel like is always tearing them down when it comes to their weight loss effort??

long story short I live at home with my parents. I'm 31 years old.. a grown woman. I moved back home bc of financial reasons. I feel like I'm 16 again with my father. We get along 75% of the time.. but the other 25% WATCH OUT. we butt heads like there is no tomorrow.
I didn't work out tonight. I ate within my calorie goal. I had a lazy day. oh well.. its not the end of the world. I worked out the past 4 days.. and helped a friend move into a new house. I'm sorry but I can relax one day a week and should not get crap for it.
He basically told me I'm going to be fat forever if I keep the mindset that I have.
thanks DAD. your so supportive and know just what to say to keep me motivated.

Honestly though, does anyone have a friend or family member, that no matter what they do to better themselves.. it's not good enough?
I used to be on weight watchers.. and the girls would say. Mind Your Own Weight Loss Journey. I tell my dad to mind his own.. and all hell breaks lose.
:( I just don't known how to deal with him at this point. I'm moving out of the parents hopefully for good in February/March but until then any words of wisdom. Thanks!

Replies

• gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i appreciate the the responses :ohwell: :/
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    maybe i posted in the wrong forum.

chit chat maybe.... thought it was too serious of a topic for there.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    :wink: I'll respond

I am 36 and regress every time I am with my parents. I am a bit better if my husband is with me. Try to just walk away, smile sweetly, no sarcasm, no attitude. Just show him how great you are becoming. No need to argue it. Good luck :drinker:
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Sucks about your Dad. I would just brush it off your shoulders like a boss. Don't let anything discourage you from getting to your goal. Go at your pace. F everyone else. GO HAM!

My brother is supportive of me but, he is just naturally in good shape and always wants to go out to eat and when I decline he gets kinda mad but, whatever.

GO HAMMMMMMMMMm
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Same type of problem, only it is my mom. I'm 55, you'd think that it would cease to matter after this many years. Nope still hurts. Thankfully i have a husband and friends who are very supportive. It is just sad that I avoid visiting my mom because of this issue.
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your dad talks to you like that because he feels he can. And because you're back at home its easy to degenerate into patterns of behaviour that you learnt when you were younger. So he talks to you like you're 16 and you probably start responding in the same way. Before you know where you are you're both back into saying hurtful things at each other.

Try to ignore what he says and don't rise to the bait.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'd just mention to him then next time he rides you that if you don't have a break then your body doesn't get a chance to recuperate. And that's a very bad thing as it can lead to injuries. Give him a kiss on the cheek and tell him a kind word goes further then criticism does. But thanks for loving you the way he does.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just stopped talking to my dad. It makes things so much better.
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sure, while I was on my weight loss journey I had people doubt that I could do it or tell me flat out that I couldn't do it. I just had to develop a mindset that I can't please everyone so I am going to please myself. And look at it this way, your dad or whoever is probably going to have something to say when you do meet your goal. So just do what you want to do for you and stop engaging him. The next time he says something just shrug your shoulders or so ok and move on.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's called negative reinforcement. Prove him wrong and just keep doing what you're doing if it is working for you.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, my parents do not talk to me like that. They support me 100% in a very positive way. I have a saying in my group of friends. "Drama? Change the channel." I would definitely limit my contact with this person if I was in your shoes, and definitely get out of the house as soon as possible.