Weights virgin

Options
Hi Guys, I've been going to the gym for a good while and think I've got the cardio side down but although I use the resistance machines to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing.

Oh and I also use kettlebells regularly.

I want to tone up all over and also get a bit more' junk in ma trunk'. Can anyone recommend any good sites or books that start from basics as I really don't want to go to the expense of a personal trainer?

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women

Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

:smile:
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Arnold schwarzenegger's The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, looks like I got some reading to do :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, I've been going to the gym for a good while and think I've got the cardio side down but although I use the resistance machines to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing.

Oh and I also use kettlebells regularly.

I want to tone up all over and also get a bit more' junk in ma trunk'. Can anyone recommend any good sites or books that start from basics as I really don't want to go to the expense of a personal trainer?

I would say to start lifting heavy--squats and deadlifts.

It would not hurt to get a trainer for just a few sessions, if you can swing it. That way someone can show you proper form and set up a program for YOUR goals.

I cannot afford a trainer right now, but the trainer who works the floor at the gym is a sweet kid, and has been helping me quite a bit. He checked my squat form when I first started, showed me how to deadlift the other day. When I had issues with the cable machine, he showed me some alternate exercises with the dumbbells.

the books already recommended are popular...I am actually waiting for a copy of NROLFW to be returned to the library next week.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I found NROLFW to be kinda annoying because I had no idea what weight I should be using....

SO I wanted to also give you this link:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

This tells you what is considered "Novice" to "advanced" on some important lifts (and how to do the lifts) so you have an idea of where you're at. Of course if you are just starting, err on the side of lighter weights. Once you get the hang of form, etc, you want to figure out your One Rep Max. Here's a calculator for that:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Once you know your ORM you can start working on building strenght. I have been lifting for a year. I started totally on my own and just did squats, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, and rows. I started out doing three sets of 12 (3x12) and slowly going up in my weights. A personal trainer told me to figure out my ORM and do 3x5 of 50% ORM as a warm up and then 3x5 at 75-80% ORM as a work set. I did that for a while and after a year, I'm lifting at advanced levels on a lot of my lifts. Now I'm switching to a new program called 3/5/1 and am hitting new Personal Records!!!!

Here's a link for the 3/5/1 program:

www.strstd.com

This is a lot of info, but print it out and in a year read it :) You'll be glad then that you have the 3/5/1 program! It's not a beginner program tho. First make sure form is good because if you aren't doing it right, you are either wasting your time, or injuring yourself, or both.

Good luck!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Actually its 5/3/1

I recommend you read the e-book for it.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Actually its 5/3/1

I recommend you read the e-book for it.

haha. Thanks for catching the typo.

I have done it for two sessions and am already hitting new PRs. I effing love it.