Ladies who went from squishy stomachs to six packs...

Can you please share your ab workout, and some before and after pics for inspiration?
Seems like this is the last place I see results. Especially the lower abs. I use the ab machines at the gym, do many many planks, and use the roman chair. Would love some new ideas to change things up a bit.

Thanks!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Are your abbs there but just covered in fat? You need to have a low body fat% to see them?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Are you Abbas there just covered in fat? You need to have a loe body fat% to see them?

This.

On a side note... most people can do "ab work" (crunches and the like) until they are blue in the face with little to no results. Get your diet honed in, be patient, do heavy squats and heavy deadlifts, and be patient.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    May seem strange, but the most effective thing for my abs has been more squats.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    If you could control with what you eat will enable you to have a six packs. It is not a secret. Everyone knows it but they didn't like it, so they went for something else and it never works.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    I have my other half on this diet or very close and she's achieved this look:

Meal 1: 120g lean steak with 30g nuts
    Meal 2: 100g chicken/turkey breast and veg
    Meal 3: lean steak, some green vegetables with a small handful of nuts
    Pre-Workout Meal: protein shake
    Meal 4: another protein shake, 15g of Glutamine
    Meal 5: 150g white fish and 100g vegetables

abzilla.jpg
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I have my other half on this diet or very close and she's achieved this look:

Meal 1: 120g lean steak with 30g nuts
    Meal 2: 100g chicken/turkey breast and veg
    Meal 3: lean steak, some green vegetables with a small handful of nuts
    Pre-Workout Meal: protein shake
    Meal 4: another protein shake, 15g of Glutamine
    Meal 5: 150g white fish and 100g vegetables

abzilla.jpg

Yup--abs are made in the kitchen.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    If you could control with what you eat will enable you to have a six packs. It is not a secret. Everyone knows it but they didn't like it, so they went for something else and it never works.

Whats the saying? "Abs are baked in the kitchen"
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen :)

Taken from an article "Regardless, the advice is the same across the board: a controlled diet high in whole grains (>5grams fiber per serving), lean protein (<5 grams per serving), fruits and vegetables and other non-processed foods that create a calorie deficit will get you to your goal more quickly. "
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member

Wow I need an education! Didn't know squats were good for the abs!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I'm just bumping because I want to see before and afters... I'm a bit squishy myself at the moment.
  • Matt_Wild
    I personally favour protein over carbs due the fact it takes more to make energy from protein (25-30% wasted) against carbs (6-8% wasted) and generally people find protein easier on the appetite and less hunger and appetite control needed.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    The 30 day shred dvd by Jillian Michaels & a clean diet 80% of the time really toned up my tummy! Running and squatting do more for me than crunches, but I add in crunches anyway.

When I eat poorly, I lose a lot of progress...I really do believe that how your tummy looks is MOSTLY down to what you eat. Right now I'm a bit squishy again because I indulged a lot over the past couple of months! But after a few days back to clean eating, I've lost inches.
  • Matt_Wild

Its perfect - think about it - when you have a large weight above you, the pivot point becomes the centre of your torso - your abs!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Bump
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    ALSO. It depends on the look you want. You could eat the meals everyone else is suggesting. My addition would be to increase your water and fiber intake as well. It really helps. I have a 6 pack on a good day and 4 every other time. I don't have them now because i'm a sad college student and it's finals. Mostly the finals issue. But regardless. Like EVERYONE else is saying. They're made in the kitchen.

Some exercises that I think you should include sans just "ab" work are STABILITY exercises. Or compound exercises where you're engaging your core but not directly working it.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    i have really good core strength- despite having a large belly, i can feel my muscles under it!!! i have it due to all my sports!! hoping once i lose weight and tone it will be shown off- though i dont fancy a six pack.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member

that is the beauty of complex movement. you use your entire body, you work your entire body.

so eat lean and work ALL the muscles. at least, that's my plan.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    I personally favour protein over carbs due the fact it takes more to make energy from protein (25-30% wasted) against carbs (6-8% wasted) and generally people find protein easier on the appetite and less hunger and appetite control needed.

It isn't good for anyone to eat only protein, though, unless they were consuming over half their calories in fruit and veg...all the research I've done over the past four years points towards long term health problems, degenerative diseases, digestive issues etc etc...if done over a long period of time. It might do wonders for the physical form, but for vanity's sake, I'd never ever put my health at risk. Nothing wrong with potatoes, rice, pasta etc...entire healthy slim populations of people have thrived on these foods.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    So what other things should I be adding to my daily meals? Or taking away?
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member

Do you do the squats with any weights?