Ladies , a bit of help please....

Options
I was off birth control for 6 months ( trying to get pregnant) then decided that I wanted to lose weight before we have another child. So a month ago I started taking a pill, and in 5 weeks I have had my period 3 times!!!!

Is this normal? has it happend to you?

It has never happend to me before and I started on the pill when I was 15! ( now 24 ) I have also been on the nuva ring ( that didnt last long) and then after our first child on Mirena for over a year.

Replies

• Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You should really talk to your doctor about this one.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before from just changing types of BC. I also have a horribly inconsistent period. You should always check with your doctor, you could probably just call the office and ask a nurse.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You should really talk to your doctor about this one.

This.
    Birth Control pills work by messing up your hormonal system. This could just be because yours is messed up haha- but you should talk to your doctor.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree about talking to your doctor, but going off and on the pill a few times in my life, yes, in the beginning it wasn't unusual to have a messed up cycle. This would especially be true if you started it at a time when you weren't having a regular period.

I had Mirena for three years. I got it out in September and started the pill that day. I started a period two days later that lasted about a week and then didn't get a period at all in October, when I got my tubes tied and an ablation.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It is common for women to have more periods, or less periods, than normal once they start a new pill. It is just your body reacting to the new influx of hormones. If you are concerned, have a chat with your doctor but rest assured it will regulate within a few months.:smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Aliens crawled inside of your and are ripping your uterus apart with their small child like hands.

No.

Call the DR
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Def talk to the doc. The hormone is prob just messing w/ you. It could be too high or to low. I can't handle hormones at all which sucks, and my sister needs a super high dose. So it all depends on your body. Talk to the dr and get a different method or pill.
  • katebigue
    katebigue Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can tell you with the mirena it took me almost a yr to get pregnant the second time once that came out. That and changing all your birth control and be affecting it too. But go to the dr.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It's your body adjusting to the hormones. It's called break through bleeding. I read that this is common in the first six months, but primarily first three months of starting a hormonal birth control pill.
  • lrr33
    lrr33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i got off my regular pill and started taking seasonale to reduce my period. yea right. bled for 5weeks straight. ughhh. decided id rather have one a month instead! probably just from switching it up.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Definitely call your doctor but stopping/restarting/switching BC in a short time can cause abnormal cycles and breakthrough bleeding.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yeah going to switch, do some research on what is better for me... I do not know what is better for me... high hormone...low hormone.. what the difference is really.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah going to switch, do some research on what is better for me... I do not know what is better for me... high hormone...low hormone.. what the difference is really.
    Don't switch yet. It takes three months for your body to adjust. Your doc will want you to at least wait out those three months.

For ME, the only hormonal BC that I would ever consider using (because of my experience with Mirena and what I know about Depo) is some form of the pill. But I thankfully am done with all of it.