New Runner/Gym Rat

I'm trying out MFP again to try to shed the stubborn belly fat. If I can also curb my constant hunger cravings I'd consider this experiment a complete success. I run quite a bit and visit the gym 4 to 5 times a week on my lunch hour. And yet, I'm still sportn' a food baby.

Looking for motivating folks to help with inspiration, advice, and the occasional swift kick in the *kitten*.

- Mike

Replies

• Feel free to add me! I've just started running. I'm following the C25K program, and I'm on week 6. My longest run so far was about 1.75 miles. It's getting easier!

This site is a great motivator. I've lost 12 lbs since I joined about 5 weeks ago.
  • 12 pounds is FANTASTIC! That's some discipline you have, MK_Hammer. I know what a struggle that is. My wife lost over a 100lbs after our second son was born.
  • cindywomack1
    cindywomack1 Posts: 33 Member
    Cravings, a lot of the time, are due to thirst vs truly being hungry. We then eat to try and satisfy the craving, which then in turn adds to a our caloric intake, further exacerbating the "food baby". Are you keeping hydrated with water (not diet soda, soda, juice, milk, coffee etc)? Many times, too, craving are caused by missing vital nutrients in the body. Take a good look at your diet to make sure it is balanced and that you are drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.

I have learned...water IS my friend. Once I mastered a balanced diet the belly fat really started dropping.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Did you just run the Alamo 13.1?????
  • lenjaw
    lenjaw Posts: 13 Member
    Hey,

I'm a runner too, feel free to add me =) I'm trying to watch the number of calories I take in as well, so even though I'm half the world away I'd be more than happy to help if you're struggling.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    I'm a runner too and equally had the same issue, I'm now more of a gym rat too and the belly is a shrinking ;-) Add me if you like I'm also friends with lenjaw above (who is awesome BTW). I'm UK based but I'm sure we can share tips and tricks
  • @cindywomack1 - Pretty much all I drink is coffee (black) and water. Now, do I remember to drink enough water...not really ;)
    @RenewedRunner - I didn't run this year's SARNR. Instead, I decided to volunteer and helped in the bag drop area. The image is from last year's full marathon.
    @lenjaw and @sdreed25 - Thank you!
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    runner here! well...trying to be anyway. was doing an avg. of 6/mi day...then i think i got burned out. now im trying to get back up to it...& the being hungry all day is definately an issue for me as well, especially on my run days! add me if you like!
  • Thank y'all. I look forward to tracking your progress!