running/jogging & making fatty legs lean

Options
I've always had chunky tree trunk legs. Like from ankle all the way up thru my hips I'm a wide legged heavy girl. (pear shaped) When I lose weight I lose from my legs last.... I have a treadmill that I walk on at night after dinner for an hour or so at 3-4mph so that I don't sit and snack all night. I always thought that slow and steady wins the race so I walked and not jogged/ran. Tho as much walking as I do on it and with different inclines my legs ESPECIALLY my thighs and side knee fat and saddle bags just will not lean out and that is my biggest concern. So my question is for other women like me....have you had success losing fat & cellulite and getting nice lean legs from running?....Also how long did it take for you to see a difference? I started using a Couch to 5k app today to try and become a better runner and lean out my awful fatty legs and maybe give me a little bit of a bubble booty too if possible. LOL

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the best thing for fat loss is strength training. a decent routine 3x a week and 1x HIIT cardio is all you need!
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do Squats or better still go for the whole 5x5 strength training.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have a small homegym that I use for strength training too. It is mostly just for arms. I try to do the different exercises for my legs with it and it's really difficult. :-/ I have Jillian Michaels DVDs I use too. My treadmill is my favorite and so I have actually gotten my money's worth out of it. LOL I just want to lean out my legs and it's just not happening. i feel like I'll be stuck at 25%BF for forever! grr
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strength training (lots of squats) AND running. My legs have hardened up and look slimmer, my butt looks rounder, and I've seen a huge reduction in cellullite. I've been running since mid-October and started incorporating HIIT at Thanksgiving. I've been doing strength training since August.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    While my legs haven't ever been "tree trunk" like, there was definitely a lack of lean muscle before I started running in May. I did the couch to 5k and I remember at the start of the program running and feeling down the side of my legs - how there wasn't really any muscle there - it just jiggled. After about two months of at least 3 days a week on the program, I noticed muscle tone. My calves could flex some shape and there was less jiggle and more muscle flex underneath the jiggle in my thighs.

Now I've been a C25k grad for a couple months and have run five 5k events, one half marathon (my 2nd one is Sunday) and I run every other day. While my legs aren't as lean as I want them yet (inner thighs are a pain in the butt to lose) I've noticed some great things...

1. my thighs don't touch - as much. There's still lots to lose there and my thighs will probably always have at least some contact - I'm a woman not a stick figure. My hips are smaller and my outer thighs have no jiggle.
    2. my calves are a powerhouse and really show off in heels.
    3. the biggest change I've had in running is the development of a butt. I had no shape there before and running has created at least a small muscular something back there - which I LOVE!

Running does NOT guarantee svelt legs, but by doing it consistently you do build up the muscles in your legs. Those muscles burn more energy and you keep it up long enough your shape will change. My scale hasn't moved since March - but my clothes are smaller sizes and my running pace is much better. The confidence I have as a runner (although I'm nowhere near fast) is so much more rewarding than being skinny. My best advice is not to care about getting shapely legs, just care about getting in shape. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I still run, but my legs didn't change shape until I started strength training.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I run 30 miles a week and most of my visible weight is still in my legs
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Continue to lose weight, be patient and it'll happen.

Exercise can help, but at the end of the day, you have to lose the weight, and that's all about a caloric deficit.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    While my legs haven't ever been "tree trunk" like, there was definitely a lack of lean muscle before I started running in May. I did the couch to 5k and I remember at the start of the program running and feeling down the side of my legs - how there wasn't really any muscle there - it just jiggled. After about two months of at least 3 days a week on the program, I noticed muscle tone. My calves could flex some shape and there was less jiggle and more muscle flex underneath the jiggle in my thighs.

Now I've been a C25k grad for a couple months and have run five 5k events, one half marathon (my 2nd one is Sunday) and I run every other day. While my legs aren't as lean as I want them yet (inner thighs are a pain in the butt to lose) I've noticed some great things...

1. my thighs don't touch - as much. There's still lots to lose there and my thighs will probably always have at least some contact - I'm a woman not a stick figure. My hips are smaller and my outer thighs have no jiggle.
    3. the biggest change I've had in running is the development of a butt. I had no shape there before and running has created at least a small muscular something back there - which I LOVE!

Running does NOT guarantee svelt legs, but by doing it consistently you do build up the muscles in your legs. Those muscles burn more energy and you keep it up long enough your shape will change. My scale hasn't moved since March - but my clothes are smaller sizes and my running pace is much better. The confidence I have as a runner (although I'm nowhere near fast) is so much more rewarding than being skinny. My best advice is not to care about getting shapely legs, just care about getting in shape. :flowerforyou:

How fast do you run?... The fastest I go on my treadmill is 6mph.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    I run 30 miles a week and most of my visible weight is still in my legs

crap
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The best results will come from a combination of running, strength training, balanced diet and patience :).
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Your legs may not thin out like you want. Just be warned! I run a lot (25 miles/week) and I have 15 inch calves and 21.5 (23 when flexed) thighs. Very little fat but big
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've always had chunky tree trunk legs. Like from ankle all the way up thru my hips I'm a wide legged heavy girl. (pear shaped) When I lose weight I lose from my legs last.... I have a treadmill that I walk on at night after dinner for an hour or so at 3-4mph so that I don't sit and snack all night. I always thought that slow and steady wins the race so I walked and not jogged/ran. Tho as much walking as I do on it and with different inclines my legs ESPECIALLY my thighs and side knee fat and saddle bags just will not lean out and that is my biggest concern. So my question is for other women like me....have you had success losing fat & cellulite and getting nice lean legs from running?....Also how long did it take for you to see a difference? I started using a Couch to 5k app today to try and become a better runner and lean out my awful fatty legs and maybe give me a little bit of a bubble booty too if possible. LOL

When I first started losing weight all I did was walking (~6miles/day) and noticed in the first month that I was losing weight from my legs much more than elsewhere on my body to the point they were a size smaller when I was always 1 size. Walking and running has been my exercises of choice in my journey and as I've been losing weight, everywhere has seemed to even out in terms of fat loss but I definitely have better shape to my legs and clear definition compared to elsewhere.

If you are losing weight then it will come but it can come faster if you are especially working out a certain area.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    THXhunny- my figure sounds like urs....I want to knw too...I've been jogging as well M-TH for at least 30 minutes while my boys are at practice..don't see any difference but my home shorts, they don't hug my hips anymore. My hips can breathe.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I run at least 25 miles a week and really haven't seen much difference in my thighs but my calves have tightened up. Lunges are the best for mr for thigh workout. You don't need anything but a couple so 5lb weights to start.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    darn it- ok I was thinking running would be good for my weight loss and leaning out. guess I'll do lunges and weights. :/
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    darn it- ok I was thinking running would be good for my weight loss and leaning out. guess I'll do lunges and weights. :/

weight loss & leaning out = good diet + some lifting + some cardio. No reason running can't be the cardio part.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I mix up my routine. I do one day at about 4 miles total, with the 1/2 mile warm up walk, then flat out 10:30-11:30/mile pace for 1.5 miles. Then I jog 400m at 12-13 min pace, then spring 400m, alternating for 1.5 miles. Then a 1/2 mile cool down.

Day 2 is steady pace for 3-5 miles. Just a pace I can keep for an extended amount of time. Usually between 11-13 min/mile.

Day 3 is usually what I do on the weekends - my distance run. I've been upping my mileage to get ready for this weekend's mini marathon so I try to do anything over 6 miles on the weekend when I have daylight. This is usually a slower pace (12-14 min/mile) so I can keep the same pace mile after mile.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Just wanted to ask how fast do u run and is the run straight or u walk in between. I run or say jog straight 18 mins and dats my longest, I want to run faster but don't know how to push myself. That said my little runs and jogs have yielded great results for my thigh and
    Legs, they look trimmed but when I sit down the become big, lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I lost more inches off my thighs when doing the C25k than I have with everything else combined. That was a period of two months. I lost more off my waist with 30DS. While you can't spot reduce fat, I think that training your muscles, especially if you favor certain muscles over others, it can make a difference.