Pickles and sodium.. what do yah think?

Options
2»

Replies

• Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My guess is the zero calorie thing comes from the fact that they can put 0 calories if it falls under a certain percent. Same as "Diet" sodas do. However the company typically gets a small fine, or fee they have to pay. It's really dumb and a total lie to the consumer. When I drink diet soda I still count it as 100 calories. I'd go off from what the website for the pickles say.

Huh I had no idea
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some pickles say 0 calories, and some say 5 for a pickle. But I dont really understand that because cucumbers have calories, and I dont think that pickling removes that. I love pickles, but do limit my intake because of the sodium content. I usually reserve them now for snacks at the movies, where they are probably the best choice there.

The theaters in your area sell pickles?? I wish they did around here. I love some good crunky dills.

Someone else mentions about it being a salt craving...for me it's not a salt craving..it's a vinegar craving.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Some pickles say 0 calories, and some say 5 for a pickle. But I dont really understand that because cucumbers have calories, and I dont think that pickling removes that. I love pickles, but do limit my intake because of the sodium content. I usually reserve them now for snacks at the movies, where they are probably the best choice there.

The theaters in your area sell pickles?? I wish they did around here. I love some good crunky dills.

Someone else mentions about it being a salt craving...for me it's not a salt craving..it's a vinegar craving.

We live in a small town, and the theatre food choices are not great, but they do sell FANTASTIC giant pickles!!! They make me happy. And Whitehorse, your dogs (I think they are Akitas?) are gorgeous!
  • Snikkee
    Options
    No calories? Really? I find that dang near impossible to believe. >.>

Pickles have very few to no calories. Cuz they are just cucumbers soaked in vinegar and salt. Not sure if ^^ this guy^^ is putting you on or not.

In either case, if cutting down your sodium is important to you, cut down the pickles. Either work them into a day with lower sodium or set them aside for while. As a lover of pickles myself, I get that it's not the most fun, but if that's your goal, your options are to plan around the pickles or avoid them. Whichever works for you.

thank you
  • Snikkee
    Options
    Thank you all. :) good advice!!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, I LOVE pickles, regular pickles, picked jalapenos, pickled okra, pickled green beans, lol. Most of the pickled stuff I eat I have made myself, so I'm not sure how the sodium compares to store bought. I just track them as generic pickled (name of veggie). I don't eat a ton of them so I don't really worry about the sodium, although I do go over when I do eat them.

My guess however is that homemade would have less sodium. I know when I make my own I just use like a tsp of canning salt in the whole jar and the rest is just vinegar, water, garlic and dill and sometimes hot peppers. You could try making your own; they're easy, just google a recipe.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sodium will cause water retention, so just balance it out by drinking a *kitten* ton of water, or increase potassium intake to restore balance to the potassium/sodium in your body.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    are you eating air? Its impossible for them to have no calories.

Why are you cutting sodium drastically? Is there a medical concern? if not just eat the damn air pickle.

well thats a super nice answer.

There is no medical concern, except my weight. I am at a stand still over the last two weeks, I have had a lot of sodium in my diet, so I am trying to cut a majority of it out. which is hard to do.

I was wondering whats better, zero calories and a lot of sodium, or some calories a low sodium.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    sodium will cause water retention, so just balance it out by drinking a *kitten* ton of water, or increase potassium intake to restore balance to the potassium/sodium in your body.

thank you. :)
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sweat it out with a good workout. Sweating will remove some salt from you system. Then hydrate!
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love pickles as well. I've never understood the 'zero calorie' thing since I assume there HAS to be calories is some way, shape or form.

Anyway, if you're a distance runner like me, drink pickle juice before running to keep from cramping up!! It works great! Also, if you exercise you're going to 'sweat' some of that out too! :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you are limiting sodium.

If its medical(like me) then it really matters.

If its just to limit water weight, then its just vanity and you can make the decision based on cravings.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no need to cut back on sodium if you are at a healthy bodyweight and you exercise.. ur not going to have water retention =/
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I looooveee pickles and I'm not sure why there is such a debate over the calories, you probably burn the few calories that are in a pickle while eating it. I love getting one from Jimmy Johns and according to their website it has only 22 calories... but 2314 grams of sodium :o I don't eat them all the time though so I don't worry about it. Except for now I kind of want one :)
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anyway, if you're a distance runner like me, drink pickle juice before running to keep from cramping up!! It works great! Also, if you exercise you're going to 'sweat' some of that out too! :)
    ^^^^True story^^^^
    Claussen pickles are the best and I always save the juice........
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They're about 5 calories per serving, with one serving being 1/4 of a pickle, so a whole pickle would be 20 calories. Things with 5 calories or less can be listed as 0.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    why would you count a diet soda (listed as 0 calories) as 100 calories? isnt that a bit OVERKILL?
    They're about 5 calories per serving, with one serving being 1/4 of a pickle, so a whole pickle would be 20 calories. Things with 5 calories or less can be listed as 0.
    hahahah gotta love serving sizes. who in the **** eats 1/4 of a pickle?
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I looooveee pickles and I'm not sure why there is such a debate over the calories, you probably burn the few calories that are in a pickle while eating it. I love getting one from Jimmy Johns and according to their website it has only 22 calories... but 2314 grams of sodium :o I don't eat them all the time though so I don't worry about it. Except for now I kind of want one :)

good god! 2,314 mg of sodium for ONE pickle? is it one of the giant pickles?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yes - my kid pointed out I was reading the label wrong - I assumed the size that was in the jar was a serving - not that 1/4 of the pickle was a serving! Still pretty low in calories and on those days when I'm pushing into the red and HUNGRY I love me a pickle! Yummmmm!!