Carbs and Breakfast-Great Information!

karmasBFF
karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Science News Share

New Weight Loss Diet Recommends High-Carb And Protein Big Breakfast

ScienceDaily (June 23, 2008) — Researchers have found a possible way to overcome the common problem of dieters eventually abandoning their diet and regaining the weight they lost. Eat a big breakfast packed with carbohydrates ("carbs") and protein, then follow a low-carb, low-calorie diet the rest of the day, the authors of a new study recommend.

"Most weight loss studies have determined that a very low carbohydrate diet is not a good method to reduce weight," said lead author Daniela Jakubowicz, MD, of the Hospital de Clinicas, Caracas, Venzezuela. "It exacerbates the craving for carbohydrates and slows metabolism. As a result, after a short period of weight loss, there is a quick return to obesity."

Only five percent of carbohydrate-restrictive diets are successful after two years, Jakubowicz said. Most carbohydrate-restrictive diets, she said, do not address addictive eating impulses.

With scientists from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Jakubowicz and her colleagues conducted a study, which they said shows that a diet's long-term effectiveness depends on its ability to increase a sense of fullness and bring down carb cravings. They compared their new diet with a strict low-carb diet in 94 obese, physically inactive women. Both diets were low in fat and total calories but differed in the carbohydrate distribution.

Forty-six women were on the very-low-carb diet, which allowed them to eat 1,085 calories a day. The diet consisted of 17 grams of carbohydrates, 51 grams of protein and 78 grams of fat a day. The smallest meal was breakfast, at 290 calories. For breakfast the dieters were permitted only 7 grams of carbohydrates, such as bread, fruit, cereal and milk. Dieters could eat just 12 grams of protein, such as meat and eggs, in the morning.

On the modified low-carb diet, or "big-breakfast diet," the other 48 dieters ate 1,240 calories a day. Although lower in total fat (46 grams) than the other diet, the new diet had higher daily allotments of carbs (97 grams) and protein (93 grams). Dieters ate a 610-calorie big breakfast, consisting of 58 grams of carbs, 47 grams of protein and 22 fat grams. The diet schedule for lunch was 395 calories (34, 28 and 13 grams of carbs, protein and fat, respectively); dinner was 235 calories (5, 18 and 26 grams, respectively).

The first half of the eight-month study focused on weight loss, and the last four months on weight maintenance. At four months, the women on the strict low-carb diet dropped an average of about 28 pounds, and the women on the big-breakfast diet lost nearly 23 pounds on average, which according to Jakubowicz was not significantly different. But at 8 months, the low-carb dieters regained an average of 18 pounds, while the big-breakfast group continued to lose weight, shedding another 16.5 pounds. Those on the new diet lost more than 21 percent of their body weight, compared with just 4.5 percent for the low-carb group. Furthermore, the study found that women who ate a big breakfast reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch, and having fewer cravings for carbs than the other women did.

Jakubowicz said the big-breakfast diet works because it controls appetite and cravings for sweets and starches. It also is healthier than an extremely low-carbohydrate diet, according to Jakubowicz, because it allows people to eat more fruit and therefore get enough fiber and vitamins. She said she has successfully used the diet in her patients for more than 15 years.

Results were presented Tuesday, June 17, at The Endocrine Society's 90th Annual Meeting in San Francisco.

Replies

• Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    bump
  • while this is interesting and useful... I don't know if I could only eat 235 calories for dinner. When I try to eat low in cal for dinner I end up snacking afterwards. I have to have atleast 400 calories! But I do most of my exercise at night so I don't know!!!
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    bump
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    AHA! Thanks for that info!

This is what I've been doing for a while now & while my ticker does not reflect it (I THREW AWAY the SCALE - so I don't know what I've lost) I am losing more weight than before.

A typical day for me is around 500 cals for breakfast & the rest of a 1200 cal day is split into 5 more meals. I eat really clean wholesome food (no chemicals, no steroids, no processed foods) & I always combine my protein with a carb of some sort (starchy for breakfast & veggie or fruit for the rest of the meals). And FINALLY something has clicked with my body! I am finally dropping the weight & it's staying off!

Thaks so much for the article. It really helped make my day!:bigsmile:
  • chefcc
    chefcc Posts: 143
    Great article. Thanks for the info. I will try it and see how it works.
  • karmasBFF
    bump
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    BuMp :D
  • bump
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    t'ween my B'fast and my morning snack I knock out around 1/2 of my cals for the day by 09:30, with lotsa carbs and lotsa protein. Nibbling the rest of the day ain't so bad. A lot of salad and a big protein for dinner. I've been doing pretty well too.

Interesting,,,
  • karmasBFF
    t'ween my B'fast and my morning snack I knock out around 1/2 of my cals for the day by 09:30, with lotsa carbs and lotsa protein. Nibbling the rest of the day ain't so bad. A lot of salad and a big protein for dinner. I've been doing pretty well too.

Interesting,,,

Considering you have lost 63 lbs, I would have to agree!!!!
  • CasperO
    I've been maintaining for 6 months, just barely barely working on reducing. I log about 2/3 of the time just to keep myself honest but I don't really pig out when I don't log. I do a lot of little semi-cheats. Mostly just coasting on the good habits MFP taught me and have been maintaining quite well.

Maybe the big breakfast if part of the secret,,, I dunno. Right now I'm sticking between 205-210 pounds without really trying. I'll get to 199 and get toned back up when the weather breaks. :smile:
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    I think that one size does not fit all, big breakfasts included. The study might say that most people benefit from this, but I am not one of those people. I've tried having breakfast tacos for breakfast, and then I end up going over because I still want more food later. If my stomach is not awake, then it can't tell me that it's full. So now I stick with my light breakfast with fiber, then I hit the protein at noon.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Sounds like - Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper... something like that.

I believe this will work if you are eating Good Carbs and such.... not a Mcdonald's breakfast.
  • CasperO
    Egg McMuffin,,, just an english muffin, an egg, a slice of ham & a slice of cheese. 300 calories,,, Not bad at all, I have one every once in a while. :-)

Mc Donalds - Egg Mcmuffin, 1 McMuffin 300 (cals) 18 (gm's protein) 12 (gm's fat) 30 (gms' cargs) 260 (mg's cholesterol) 2 (grams fiber).

And that ain't bad.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    while this is interesting and useful... I don't know if I could only eat 235 calories for dinner. When I try to eat low in cal for dinner I end up snacking afterwards. I have to have atleast 400 calories! But I do most of my exercise at night so I don't know!!!

I agree with you but I'm a big dinner person. I like to feel full at night. I have a friend who eats a banana for breakfast, a HUGE lunch and then a small salad for dinner. She likes lunch the best and doesn't like feeling full at night. To each their own!
  • karmasBFF
    Egg McMuffin,,, just an english muffin, an egg, a slice of ham & a slice of cheese. 300 calories,,, Not bad at all, I have one every once in a while. :-)

Mc Donalds - Egg Mcmuffin, 1 McMuffin 300 (cals) 18 (gm's protein) 12 (gm's fat) 30 (gms' cargs) 260 (mg's cholesterol) 2 (grams fiber).

And that ain't bad.

Yes, but lets compare sodium! That is the kicker that EVERYONE forgets about!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Arnold Whole Wheat sandwich Thin = 100 calories
    2 slices low sodium ham = 40 - 50 calories
    1 slice American Cheese = 60 calories
    OR 1 wedge of Laughing cow = 45 calories
    PLUS
    1 Great Value instant oatmeal (sugar free) = 100 calories
    1 mini box of raisins = 60 calories
    1/2 a banana = 60 calories

Now this is what I call Breakfast for a KING! a Grand total of 475 calories. You can even add a cup of Joe.

I think this meal will keep you full longer than.... 1 Egg McMuffin. Just sayin. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • CasperO

And that ain't bad.

Yes, but lets compare sodium! That is the kicker that EVERYONE forgets about!
    I didn't forget it, I'm perfectly aware of it. Yep, a little high in sodium, like most restaurant food. You'll be up a pound the next day 'cause you'll retain water. I don't care.

Nobody said "let's all go on the Morgan Spurlock diet!", I just pointed out that a Mickey D's breakfast once in a while ain't necessarily that bad - 'cause it ain't. You gotta live, you gotta eat something.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    I am working on this and finding it to be helpful. I try to eat most of my carbs before 3pm. I am using a big 1/2 plate of mushrooms, quinoa, small small portions of rice for dinner instead of heavier portions. This is mostly working. I think my metabolism is really boosting as I was starving starving last night. I munched on almonds and drank water (higher sodium day). Today though i am craavvvvvinngg carbs so i added a 2nd slice of bread to my sandwich at lunch and i'm fnally full. It sure is a guessing game to find the right balance.
  • karmasBFF
    I am working on this and finding it to be helpful. I try to eat most of my carbs before 3pm. I am using a big 1/2 plate of mushrooms, quinoa, small small portions of rice for dinner instead of heavier portions. This is mostly working. I think my metabolism is really boosting as I was starving starving last night. I munched on almonds and drank water (higher sodium day). Today though i am craavvvvvinngg carbs so i added a 2nd slice of bread to my sandwich at lunch and i'm fnally full. It sure is a guessing game to find the right balance.

It seems to be working for me too! and I had nowhere near a 600 calorie BF this morning...I was at about 325 (i think) and I am just starting to get full...I am usually looking for food by 10:30am!

Lunch is in an hour, so water until then, then YUMMO!!!

Think Im going to keep this up!
This discussion has been closed.