Cremation vs. Burial - Pets

Options

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My vet does a nice thing though - after the cat has passed, they make an impression in clay of her paw prints with her name and give it to you. So I have that also.

Our vet did that for us when we had to put our dog down...I made a scrapbook page of pictures of her and then put that, along with the paw print, in a shadow box.

And, **hugs** to you Jac...I'm so sorry you're going through this :(
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Lifegem.com

Seriously, cremate and scatter the ashes at a favorite park or beach. I think your pet would like the idea of his/her remains playing around in the wind.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    When we lost our dog, we buried him. It was a family decision.

When I was in college, my guinea pig passed away. I had my boyfriend watching him since I lived on campus and couldn't have pets. I had to give my okay over the phone to have him put down, so I requested cremation. I just wanted to say good bye to him in person, not over the phone. We keep him with his picture on top of him. I miss him.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    My mom has all of her dogs in cremation ashes in little wooden boxes with gold nameplates around the house....they just look like bookends and work with the decor, it's very discreet and yet...her babies are with her....and move with her as she just recently downsized her house...

so yeah...

I like this idea..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Cremation. I'm for cremation for myself, too, and my parents were both cremated.

I'm not planning on living here forever. I hate the thought of leaving them behind, or someone digging up my pets while planting shrubbery. Check with your local shelter... some do cremations for a LOT less than vets charge.

I made my own urns for my father's dog and one of my cats with a ready-to-paint photo box from a craft store. Check ebay, too. When I was shopping for one, I found some of the same companies were selling the same urns for less through their ebay shop than on their real website.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I've done both. Go with what feels right for you and your family is my suggestion.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tried to post, started crying.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I lost my bulldog in 2011 she was almost 13 and my buddy for 12.5 years. I had her cremated. I move a lot for my job and couldn't bear leaving her behind. She is in a beautiful urn in my home. My family has always cremated our dogs as well and has the urns. I guess it's a family thing. I know it's expensive, but I really didn't care about the cost. I just wanted her with me. Sorry you have to face the loss of your pet.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with my 15 y/o cat. I've endured many pet deaths and we always buried them in our yard. My bf wants to have our cat buried at a local pet cemetery but I prefer the idea of burying her where she spent her life. Also, his way costs $500, mine is just the cost of the materials to make our own special "kitty casket".

My aunt has a friend that had her dog cremated and has the ashes in a pendant that she wears. That's just creepy to me!
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm a fan of cremation and the wooden boxes with plaques which is what most are returned in. As another person said, they are very discreet but you know who it is.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Pets are familia. With the last one we chose cremation, called around for the best price and let the Vet dispose of the ashes. Memories are kept alive thru pics and stories.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I had my 13 yr old dog cremated is a semi private cremation last year. There are several other animals done at the same time (with space between) so you do have the possibility of some...contamination?? However it was about 100.00 less than private.

Also I took a child safe non toxic ink pad and made a stamp of his foot about 6 months prior. It is now a tattoo on top of my foot.

foot.jpg
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    We did this last year and I am so sorry you are facing it now.

We used mass cremation, not private, which means we did not get the ashes back and it is substantially cheaper. We did, however, have paw prints made. Personally, I dislike having ashes. I prefer pictures, videos and memories. Make sure you check local laws about burials on private property, particularly if you live in a city, some do not allow it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dog.

Does it weigh 10 lbs? Bury.

Does it weigh 100 lbs? Cremate.

In between, it's a judgement call.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I love my furbabies and I have buried and cremated and it broke my heart to move and leave my buried pets behind. The last dog we lost died at home and we called the pet crematorium directly and it was half the cost of going through the vet and we got her ashes back quickly in a nice wooden box that sits on a shelf with a portrait of her and her collar. I'm so sorry you have to make this choice, it's one of the most heart breaking things to go through. :cry:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I've done all variations on this theme, home burial, cremation without ashes coming home and cremation with the urn on the mantle. The last three pets we lost were cremated, and I would do that again in the future should the need arise. My husband likes getting the ashes back to keep on the mantle, but it makes me a little sad to see them there, so I would bury the ashes under a bush or tree for a happier association.

As for burying in the yard: I learned my lesson. We live on a sloped lot which is mostly wooded. A few years ago, we had part of the yard graded where two dogs were buried. As the large equipment was moving the soil in that area, I was very distressed and had to leave. Years later, the thought still bothers me.
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We have an amazing vet that we go to. We paid about 500 to 600 for our husky to be cremated and spread through out this gorgeous apple orchard. Our vet understands it all, he is so compassionate. We did this for all three of our pets. Its a piece of mind knowing that shes somewhere peaceful and so is her ashes.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My dog was 17, a golden mix, and I still have him! He was cremated. I loved him too much, plus he never liked to be out in the cold anyway. Why would I do that to him?

I say what is going to work best for you and your family. Some people can't have the constant reminder in front of them. Also like Parys stated, there might be laws in certain areas for burials.

For the urn, I went to a local "paint your own" pottery shop, got a vase and found what worked for a cover. After it was done I glued the cover in and put a Angel Dog ornament that resembled him on top.

However, just 2 years ago my pug passed away. He was a wonderful dog too. We chose to bury him (my husband like that idea better. My dog from childhood kinda creeps him out LOL) We buried him at my husbands mothers house with the other pets that have passed away. My daughter picked out a beautiful butterfly bush that we planted above him, and bought a wonderful stone from http://www.memorialgallerypets.com/pet-headstones-pet-grave-markers.aspx
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    My Chow was cremated and will be buried with me, as far as my other dog, don't know if he'll make the cut (but most likely will)
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We buried our smallers pets and planted a tree over the spot. With our larger dogs we cremate, then plant a memorial tree. Cremation is relatively inexpensive in our area. So sorry for what you are going through. They are never with us long enough.