issue staying within their calorie limit

Replies

• phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    thanks guys! all your input was exteremly helpful. like i said in previous post i have been a little stressed. so there are some stress eating in there. i typically try and eat a balanced breakfast a salad for lunch and a balance dinner i try to stick with the same snacks every day until i feel comfortable with changing things up. ill take all of your advice and use it!

The multiple snacks you are having almost on a *daily* basis should really be just a treat once every week, fortnight or even month.

* Skinny Cow ice cream
    * Roundy's - Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
    * Dunkin Donuts anything
    * Hershey's Kisses / Milk Chocolate With Almonds Bar
    * Snickers
    * Mars
    * Now and Later candy
    * Pop Tarts
    * Dorito's

* Pepsi / Cola
    * Jones Soda
    * Big Train - Mocha
    * Iced Mocha Coffee

Most importantly of all Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter. This is your downfall at the moment. If you can kick this it will help dramatically.

December 3, 2012
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp. 190

December 4, 2012
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 4 Tbsp. 380

December 5, 2012
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 Tbsp. 95
    +
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 3 Tbsp. 285

December 6, 2012
    +
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 6.5 Tbsp. 618

December 7, 2012
    +
    Skippy - Creamy Peanut Butter, 4 Tbsp. 380

22.5 tbsp in 5 days. That's 2,138 cals, or the equivalent of eating a whole extra days worth of food right there.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    I agree with everyone else on better food choices and fewer calories on drinks, kudos to you though for logging them! One other thought, without knowing your height and age, it doesn't sound like 1500 calories is enough for someone who has 90 pounds to lose. My calorie goal is 1500 and I only have 15 pounds to my goal weight (5'4", age 46 and exercise 3 times a week just for comparision).

my calorie intake is 1500. my nutrionist told me to do so. i eat (try) about 6 meals. 3 snacks and 3 meals
  • Sheymarie417
    Sheymarie417 Posts: 40 Member
    im 5'2 and weight 238. i dont exercise at all. i work at a hospital so thats as much excerise as i get a day.
    I agree with everyone else on better food choices and fewer calories on drinks, kudos to you though for logging them! One other thought, without knowing your height and age, it doesn't sound like 1500 calories is enough for someone who has 90 pounds to lose. My calorie goal is 1500 and I only have 15 pounds to my goal weight (5'4", age 46 and exercise 3 times a week just for comparision).

my calorie intake is 1500. my nutrionist told me to do so. i eat (try) about 6 meals. 3 snacks and 3 meals
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    i love to eat and i love to eat breads they are my downfall! to help me stay in of course exercise when i can (which pretty much means the stars have to alighn for me to get out to exercise). but i have found in the past that planning my food for the day a day ahead of time helps. that way i can take away something from lunch so i have enough for dinner etc. now i eat my breakfast and sometimes lunch then plan my dinner and snack out.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    First place to start... eliminate calories you drink! If you have to have coffee take it straight and black... Drinking water is your best choice.
    Second... plan snacks that are better choices... fruit and some nuts for example works for me or a fiber one or kashi bar.
    Third... Burn the calories with some exercise.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Your meals look good, maybe more lean meat with dinner to stay fuller longer. But,skip the peanut butter it is a good snack only if you have calories to use, switch to a low cal hummus or fat free Greek yogurt with berries or shrimp. Watch the added stuff to coffee. I started adding chocolate whey to my coffee instead of creamer, it is like a meal in itself then just have some granola as a snack. Bananas are also a higher calorie and high carb fruit switch it up with apples.

Best advice is: Plan ahead. Log before you eat.
    Make the time to exercise on your days off or just walk more park farther away and take the stairs.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Hi guys! I've noticed I'm having a hard time staying within my calorie intake. Does anyone have/had an problem with this? If so, any tips on how to change this?

You asked for tips so here it is; first, dont ask for advice if you arent prepared to consider it.

Reality aint so pretty - & Im gonna be like your bathroom scale and not tell you what you like. ... And in your case, reality is that you have been on MFP since February and have only lost 4 lbs....and looking through your diary I see you eat whatever catches your fancy ...booze, chips, high calorie sweet drinks...heck you eat well over 800 cals a day just in BS. You are having a daily food orgy....cmon gal, you know better.

You have been here long enough to where you should be giving the noobs advice and tips instead of seemingly being clueless. You alone are responsible for your weight loss & yet you dont show any evidence that eating right is a big priority.

There are only two choices, stay fat or become disciplined.

You are welcome to check out my diary. You will see that I eat just about anything I want, fat, sausage, candy, but you will also see that I stay within my daily calorie deficit. Im 6' and currently weigh 240 & I am not starving myself & you are eating more than me!

You dont have to like my advice, but it is accurate.... and if you heed it you will accomplish your goal.

I will be more than happy to help if you are serious.
  • Sheymarie417
    I am taking the advice people give to heart. im not using working at a hospital as an excuse! i simply said thats as much excerise i get as in i dont work out at all. point blank. For people who are trying to help some of you guys are straight up rude(sorry to say) yes i eat alot of junk food which im trying my hardest to change, im trying to add excerising to my life and i am trying to change my whole lifestyle around but some of you guys to sit there and say im not commited hurts. im tired of being fat yes ive been on mfp since the beginning of the yr and only lost for pounds but you know ive wait paitently for a nutrionsit who i just started seeing who is helping me. so please if you have nothing nice to say about my yes crappy diary dont say anything. i know my dairy is crap..im sorry but at least i can say its crappy and im trying to change it.
    Many people gave you good advice already.

What I will say is if you are not willing to give up your snacks then you won't lose weight. Simple. You knew this when you created this thread but were hoping for someone to come and tell you you didn't have to give them up.

Preplan your day. That way you can add a treat in at night after you have filled your macros.

Lastly, don't use working at a hospital as an excuse, I work at a hospital and that doesn't stop me. No more excuses, time to take it serious.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I am taking the advice people give to heart. im not using working at a hospital as an excuse! i simply said thats as much excerise i get as in i dont work out at all. point blank. For people who are trying to help some of you guys are straight up rude(sorry to say) yes i eat alot of junk food which im trying my hardest to change, im trying to add excerising to my life and i am trying to change my whole lifestyle around but some of you guys to sit there and say im not commited hurts. im tired of being fat yes ive been on mfp since the beginning of the yr and only lost for pounds but you know ive wait paitently for a nutrionsit who i just started seeing who is helping me. so please if you have nothing nice to say about my yes crappy diary dont say anything. i know my dairy is crap..im sorry but at least i can say its crappy and im trying to change it.

If you're seeing a nutritionist, are they aware of what you're eating as well? If you know your diary is crap, and you open it up on a public forum.. and ask people for their advice.. they're going to give it to you.

If you're admitting that a lot of what you eat is crap, why would you be mad about someone else pointing that out to you..when you asked them to do so?

If it's a comparison, we started MFP at the same time. I've stuck to it and worked my butt off. It took a while to get started, but you have to make the commitment to do so. Everyone has stress of one form or another, but choosing to dive into some of the foods that you do is your own choice.

A nutritionist isn't a necessity. I'm living and breathing proof. MFP gave me a goal number just like it gave you the same goal number. Make your own choices on staying at/below that number.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    One thing that I have started to do is overestimate.

I used to eat two crumpets in the morning. I now eat one but because I'm usually in a hurry I don't bother to change the amount on my app. This is more out of laziness however it helps me because I tell myself I have less calories than I do early in the day. Then in the evening if I freak out because I have gone over, I can take the 100 calories out. Sometimes this is the motivation to eat a healthier lunch as well.

I also don't use my calories on soft drink. Before I would have got apple juice with my lunch but now I mostly stick to water with the occasional diet coke.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    It would help if you opened your food log
    How do you make your food log so others can see it?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I know a lot of people who say they will lose weight but are going through a stressful situation and will wait until that's over.....well unfortunately stress doesn't go away. Wish it did! :-) It's learning other ways to deal with the stress instead of eat. We all do it. If we are feeling stressed (uncomfortable), we eat something that tastes good to momentarily take our focus away from the uncomfortable feeling of stress, sadness, anger etc. We then immediately feel bad afterward because it was a poor choice and the food is gone and we are back to feeling again. Having healthy snacks to grab, going for a walk...doing SOMETHING instead of reaching for a treat during stress will be a way to get out of that cycle. It's a HARD one to break, and it probably won't ever be 100%, but be aware of it every time you pick up that snack.

Everyone here is right. Gotta stop the drinks. They won't fill you and the calories are bananas. Watch for sugar too. Sugar and carbs are massively way over. That being said...you have been HONEST on your diary so kudos to that. And the past couple days have looked much better, so keep it up!!!
  • Sheymarie417
    im getting upset because yes ill admit ive never stuck with my diet . never. which is why i went to a nutrionist i want someone to help me and so i learn the right way of doing things. i always have soo many questions for ppl on diets which is one reason i wanted a nutrionist. im not denying this past wk or two has been crappy but ive also have had great days. im still learning how to read labels and what are good and bad fruits and vegis. what everyone is saying to me is very helpful and in sightful. i dont need someone to tell me that ive been slacking. i know this and im trying my hardest to change this

quote]

If you're seeing a nutritionist, are they aware of what you're eating as well? If you know your diary is crap, and you open it up on a public forum.. and ask people for their advice.. they're going to give it to you.

If you're admitting that a lot of what you eat is crap, why would you be mad about someone else pointing that out to you..when you asked them to do so?

If it's a comparison, we started MFP at the same time. I've stuck to it and worked my butt off. It took a while to get started, but you have to make the commitment to do so. Everyone has stress of one form or another, but choosing to dive into some of the foods that you do is your own choice.

A nutritionist isn't a necessity. I'm living and breathing proof. MFP gave me a goal number just like it gave you the same goal number. Make your own choices on staying at/below that number.
    [/quote]
  • Sheymarie417
    thank you soo much. i know the drinks arent good. i actually used them for more to stay awake more than anything. i dont drink caffeine at all. im trying my hardest to work out. its tough but im trying. but thank you:)

I know a lot of people who say they will lose weight but are going through a stressful situation and will wait until that's over.....well unfortunately stress doesn't go away. Wish it did! :-) It's learning other ways to deal with the stress instead of eat. We all do it. If we are feeling stressed (uncomfortable), we eat something that tastes good to momentarily take our focus away from the uncomfortable feeling of stress, sadness, anger etc. We then immediately feel bad afterward because it was a poor choice and the food is gone and we are back to feeling again. Having healthy snacks to grab, going for a walk...doing SOMETHING instead of reaching for a treat during stress will be a way to get out of that cycle. It's a HARD one to break, and it probably won't ever be 100%, but be aware of it every time you pick up that snack.

Everyone here is right. Gotta stop the drinks. They won't fill you and the calories are bananas. Watch for sugar too. Sugar and carbs are massively way over. That being said...you have been HONEST on your diary so kudos to that. And the past couple days have looked much better, so keep it up!!!
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    OP i empathise with you massively, i really have a hard time sticking to my calories every day too. having healthy snacks helps and logging your food before you eat it also helps - sometimes its just the additional check you need to think "do i really need this" or not. i think the other thing you could benefit from is looking at WHY you are eating when you do - for example a massive amount of my eatting comes from my being bored and not mentally stimulated at work - then i start thinking that im hungry and thats it another snack.... at weekend when i am busy and out and about i dont snack anywhere near as much because i am physically busy and mentally occupied
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I looked at your diary - bottom line you're just plain eating too much. I see pepsi, cheetos, candy. Smaller meals, less treats! More fruits and veggies!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    You now know what you need to do. The question now becomes

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    i know this and im trying my hardest to change this
    Stick to it, you got this. We aren't here to beat you down. Take everything one day at a time.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    One thought for 'exercise' that you don't even need to think about. Put a bounce in your step when you're walking around the hospital. If no one's looking, do a a couple of lunges/jumping jacks/push ups against the wall. You don't need fancy equipment to get a workout. Dance around, wave your hands above your head, etc. (gets your heart rate up). Eat a little faster at lunch and go for a brisk walk at lunch.

Good luck with your journey!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    oh my god, ive just looked at your diary. so much high call foods so many times a day. seriously cut out the bad stuff limit portions and fill up on healthy stuff.