taking measurements

Options
I have heard that you are supposed to take measurements to gauge your progress, but what measurements are you supposed to take, and what kind of measurer do you use?:embarassed: I feel like I should know this already

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you are supposed to take measurements to gauge your progress, but what measurements are you supposed to take, and what kind of measurer do you use?:embarassed: I feel like I should know this already
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I'd like to know this too, but here is what I have heard of

Weight
    bmi
    chest
    waist
    hips
    neck
    shoulders
    right upper arm
    left upper arm
    right forearm
    left forearm
    left thigh
    right thigh
    right calf
    left calf

that is out of an old diet exercise diary that I have.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If you have a retractable soft tape measure, it works well. I measure chest, waist, hips, & thighs. Can do arms, calves, ankles, etc. I try to measure as close to the same place each time and it's usually the fullest area. hope this helps!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I stick to bust, waist and hips personally, but it depends on what your problem areas are and what you want to measure - measure what you want, it's all good! :flowerforyou:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to take your own measurments because it is hard to be in the same spot each time so don't get to hung up on it.
    That being said I still take my own measurements as I am still to embarrased by my numbers.
    I stick to the basics
    Bust
    chest
    waist
    hips
    thigh
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....will have to buy a soft tape measure now.:smile:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Try to use bony landmarks to help you take more reliable measurements. ie. find the top of your kneecap, measure up 6-9 inches, then measure around your thigh at that spot. For your chest, use the fullest part of your bust, waist can be your "true" waist just below your ribs or you can use your bellybutton for more consistent results. Hips can be done in two places. One is at the hip bones just below your bellybutton, then at the fullest part of your hips/butt. Upper arms, measure up from the elbow then around just like the thigh.

This way, as you keep losing inches, you won't always measure the fullest part and you will see that you are successful in your efforts!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....will have to buy a soft tape measure now.:smile:

GTO-

any drugstore or grocery has them, like $1.50. Like you use for sewing......Or use string, mark it and lay it out on a (guy-type) metal measurer. See, I hate to leave the house, and tend to "make do."

CM
  • dncr8707
    dncr8707 Posts: 74
    Options
    i had another question on top of this......how often should you measure? one a week? bi weekly?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    i had another question on top of this......how often should you measure? one a week? bi weekly?

That's up to you! Two to four weeks seems to be the consensus here.