Completely giving up on the gym

Options
Because I live in a major urban area, and the only time I can actually get to the gym is during peak/prime time hours, I've grown to see the gym as something as a hindrance. A workout that should only take 30-45 minutes ends up taking about two hours because of time spent waiting for equipment to be free, and it's been the same story during peak hours at all the gyms I've tried so far. So, beginning February, when my trainer contract ends, I will begin working out from home 100% of the time. My equipment is limited to suspension trainers, a sandbag that maxes at 30 lbs, a sandbag that maxes at 80 lbs, a bunch of resistance bands, jump ropes, medicine balls, and a pullup bar that can't be used for pullups. Money is tight so I can't see myself purchasing much additional equipment that I don't already own, although I do see a few kettlebells or a set of Powerblock dumbbells in the not-so-near future. I feel that the equipment I have will be suitable, however, to completely replace a gym given the situation. Hopefully I'll be able to start seeing good progress then.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My gym isn't 24 hours, and I go AT opening (5am), practically deserted. I feel odd getting my entire workout in with only 30 to 40 minutes.

You might find it better to change what time you go.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My gym isn't 24 hours, and I go AT opening (5am), practically deserted. I feel odd getting my entire workout in with only 30 to 40 minutes.

Therein lies the problem. The reason I'm limited to peak hours is because I commute by bus. The gym I'm currently a member of is the only gym on my bus line that won't require transferring to catch another bus, and before 6:30am and after 7pm the buses really are no longer viable. So the only time I can make it to a gym is stopping in on the way home from work.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I completely understand and quit my gym for the same reason; although I'll rejoin in the summer when the students are much fewer (university town and gym is the university rec center, lol). I couldn't go any other time because of having kids to get up in the mornings and get ready for school because my husband has early class that he has to leave for. The reality is not everyone can adjust their schedules to fit in going to a gym, but that doesn't mean you have to give up on working out. Don't feel bad for it at all. It sounds like you have what you need at home and should see some good results from it. You have to do what works for you.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Therein lies the problem. The reason I'm limited to peak hours is because I commute by bus. The gym I'm currently a member of is the only gym on my bus line that won't require transferring to catch another bus, and before 6:30am and after 7pm the buses really are no longer viable. So the only time I can make it to a gym is stopping in on the way home from work.

Run to work and from work? Or is your place to far away?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Run to work and from work? Or is your place to far away?

There is no way of getting to and from my work without going through a tunnel and over a bridge that do not permit pedestrian or bicycle traffic. Motor vehicles only. Not only that, it is clear on the other end of the city.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Because I live in a major urban area, and the only time I can actually get to the gym is during peak/prime time hours, I've grown to see the gym as something as a hindrance. A workout that should only take 30-45 minutes ends up taking about two hours because of time spent waiting for equipment to be free, and it's been the same story during peak hours at all the gyms I've tried so far. So, beginning February, when my trainer contract ends, I will begin working out from home 100% of the time. My equipment is limited to suspension trainers, a sandbag that maxes at 30 lbs, a sandbag that maxes at 80 lbs, a bunch of resistance bands, jump ropes, medicine balls, and a pullup bar that can't be used for pullups. Money is tight so I can't see myself purchasing much additional equipment that I don't already own, although I do see a few kettlebells or a set of Powerblock dumbbells in the not-so-near future. I feel that the equipment I have will be suitable, however, to completely replace a gym given the situation. Hopefully I'll be able to start seeing good progress then.

I can completely understand.There are different seasons in life and sometimes we are more able to do things at different. If money is tight, I'd highly recommend looking into exercises that don't need equipment. Ghetto workouts (check out youtube) , prison work outs, resistance training and calisthenics might help. If you can't afford a brand new prgram, look into second hand or returned copies.Craigslist and Amazon are good places where you can get much cheaper deals. Youtube also has a lot of videos that will help. maybe you can make your own program based ona compilation of youtube videos?

Good luck and don't give up! You haven't thrown in the towel .... you're just having a bit of a stumbling block and I know that you can get there. Remember, it's what we do over a lifetime and not just at one moment that will define us.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I can completely understand.There are different seasons in life and sometimes we are more able to do things at different. If money is tight, I'd highly recommend looking into exercises that don't need equipment. Ghetto workouts (check out youtube) , prison work outs, resistance training and calisthenics might help. If you can't afford a brand new prgram, look into second hand or returned copies.Craigslist and Amazon are good places where you can get much cheaper deals. Youtube also has a lot of videos that will help. maybe you can make your own program based ona compilation of youtube videos?

Good luck and don't give up! You haven't thrown in the towel .... you're just having a bit of a stumbling block and I know that you can get there. Remember, it's what we do over a lifetime and not just at one moment that will define us.

Oh trust me, I'm not giving up on fitness =) But DVD workouts are pretty much out of the question. Most were put together by people who don't know much. A lot of good stuff on Youtube though...
  • emily_bird
    Options
    If you can't do traditional running, why don't you try and do standing running done in exercises like Insanity Asylum? You stand in the same place and run, but you alternate your strides , intensity, speed and how far you kick your legs up and down . Maybe you could watch an action movie while doing it or listen to music. Just an idea.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    If you can't do traditional running, why don't you try and do standing running done in exercises like Insanity Asylum? You stand in the same place and run, but you alternate your strides , intensity, speed and how far you kick your legs up and down . Maybe you could watch an action movie while doing it or listen to music. Just an idea.

Mostly because so far I've seen better results doing jump rope with a weighted speed rope. I've grown to like it and it's a good quality workout that is safer when done right. I do that for my cardio.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have quit the gym and been working out from home for months. Got a bench with olympic bar and quite a bit of weight for 100 bucks from a friend. Had some other misc stuff and bought some resistance bands and am pretty much set. I want a set of Bowflex or powerblock dumbbells and I will have everything I want. It is so much easier and less annoying working out at home, play whatever music you want, not worry about people in your way or being in other people's way and it never closes.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My gym isn't 24 hours, and I go AT opening (5am),

FAIL!!

Oh, not you, the gym. Why is it that I've only lived in one state with a 24 hour gym and, imagine that, it was called 24 hour fitness. Loved being able to go at 2am after a work night, or when ever I felt like going. Now that I'm on the gyms crappy schedule, it's more of a hindrance. I haven't given up on it, because I enjoy my workouts, but it's still a pain, especially on the weekends, when they limit their hours even further.
  • SignalRunner77
    Options
    Mark Lauren, my friend. Google him. It'll change your life
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym a while ago. I found a BootCamp that meets around the corner from where I work at 5:30am. Lucky for me, I work at a high school, so I shower in the locker room at work. So, I get my workout in before I start my day. Your exercise routine has got to be convenient for it to work! On days when I can't get to BootCamp (or it doesn't meet), I go for a run in the neighborhood. I still have my gym membership, in case I want to use the pool, but my main exercise is BootCamp nowadays. Look for non-gym options in your area. You may be surprised at what's available.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also have a friend who used the P90X videos, and it completely changed his life. He also found a personal trainer who comes to his house. He ran his first half-marathon on Thanksgiving morning, and he's currently training for a triathlon. There ARE other options beside the gym.