"Banking" calories

Options
Does this work? I am headed to a cocktail party with tapas on Saturday night. I want to have a couple of drinks and some snacks. Is it ok to bank a couple hundred calories a day in preparation? Does that work?

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    They say its not what you eat in a day, but more important how you eat in the course of a week or more. So in a sense, and within reason, yes. I would still make smarter choices about what you drink and eat that night, though. ANd then get right back on track the next day/week! Have fun!
  • newmrswood
    Options
    I've heard of people saving calories thoughtout the day for whatever they are planning that night, but I don't think it works the way you're planning it.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating normally, or dropping perhaps 100 calories a day. Have some veggies before you go to the party and perhaps you won't indulge so much. But it's the holiday season so indulge but within reason. You aren't on a diet, you're changing your lifestyle right? So it might take a few days more with the extra calories from the party. Indulge within reason :)
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It does....it's called eating within your macros and daily allotment. But even if you over do it, it's not an everyday thing (is it?). We're all human. You'll have great days, good, days, bad days, and "I don't even want to log this!" days (LOL) and that's alright.

Enjoy your cocktail party and wear something cute! =)

5499814.png
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think it is....if you look at your calorie intake over the week rather than a day and your in a defect you should be ok.....i use up my excercise calories on a saturday and it's working for me.
    I wouldnt worry about it too much one day will not hurt and if its been a while since you've splurged i've heard it can boost your metabolism go have fun :)
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try a light fast instead. If you know you are going to want drinks and high calorie snacks on Saturday night you could eat a meal at, say, 5pm on Friday night and then just fast on water until your party. Then you would pretty much have your day's worth of calories still to consume. No, IF isn't bad for you. If you have trouble going 24 hours then try to go 12-16 instead. You'll be sleeping through a good portion of it anyway.

Unless not eating makes you insane, which it does for some people.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    One day won't hurt even if you don't "bank".

If you do try to bank calories, do it reasonably. 100 or 200 a day for a few days before hand wouldn't hurt anything.

Eating too low is only a risk if it is an average practice. One or two days of eating a bit less to enjoy the 3rd day is totally doable.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes it works. I do this almost every week. sometimes i have calories "left over" on Sunday so I pig out. Sometimes I've eaten too much so I do a fast. it's still calories in vs calories out so as long as you do that, you are fine. But yes, think of it as more of a weekly basis instead of a daily basis. it's exactly how you can enjoy yourself on thanksgiving, christmas, birthdays, etc but still lose weight (or maintain weight or whatever goal you have). I've been doing it for months.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    In a sense yes. Very active, thin people don't constantly think about when they ate the calories and when they exercised. If you are becoming healthier and more active all the time then it doesn't really matter when you are eating more or less food within a short timeframe. It all evens out throughout the week because you are more active and burning off what you eat.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Try a light intermittent fast instead. If you know you are going to want drinks and high calorie snacks on Saturday night you could eat a meal at, say, 5pm on Friday night and then just fast on water until your party. Then you would pretty much have your day's worth of calories still to consume. No, IF isn't bad for you. If you have trouble going 24 hours then try to go 12-16 instead. You'll be sleeping through a good portion of it anyway.

If I did this, I wouldn't even talk to anyone at the party...I'd just be at the food table cramming in it all night, :laugh: :laugh:

Whenever I have something like this, I'll make sure to get some extra exercise in during the week, and the day of. I'll eat throughout the day but smaller amounts. Then I'll eat again right before I go, something small but semi-filling - like an apple and a piece of cheese. The hungrier I am when I get there, the more damage I will do.

I guess you could "bank" calories, but I would be careful banking too many each day
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've never tried that, so I'm not sure if it "works" or not.

Usually if I know I'm going out to dinner somewhere, I'll workout extra hard and eat light for the day, saving my calories for that night. I've heard that switching up your calorie amounts can boost your metabolism (say you eat 1300 calories normally, you would eat about 1800 one day that you go out.) I've done that method a few times and it seems to work for me.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It may work, but philosophically I don't really like it. Too much of a weight watchers mentality to me (which i don't really like either).

Just IMO on banking...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does this work? I am headed to a cocktail party with tapas on Saturday night. I want to have a couple of drinks and some snacks. Is it ok to bank a couple hundred calories a day in preparation? Does that work?

Yes, I have done that on several occasions. Yes, it works because weight loss is not a daily thing, but rather a day-to-day thing. That is, it happens over time, so your eating habits matter over time, not just in one given day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It may work, but philosophically I don't really like it. Too much of a weight watchers mentality to me (which i don't really like either).

Just IMO on banking...

MFP is very similar to Weight Watchers actually. Before there were points, WW was about weighing food and counting calories, same as MFP. It works because calories-in-calories out works. :bigsmile:
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try a light fast instead. If you know you are going to want drinks and high calorie snacks on Saturday night you could eat a meal at, say, 5pm on Friday night and then just fast on water until your party. Then you would pretty much have your day's worth of calories still to consume. No, IF isn't bad for you. If you have trouble going 24 hours then try to go 12-16 instead. You'll be sleeping through a good portion of it anyway.

I wouldn't fast the day of. I know it would cause me to binge! I say get some exercise in the day of and just try to be mindful of what you are eating. Banking 100 calories for a couple days wouldn't hurt either.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I ve been "banking" calories the few weeks ive been doing this. My husband cooks a high fat/cal meal at least one night a week maybe even two ( he does not support my trying to loose weight ) so i bank up calories for those nights so i wont over do it. I think i seen some thing on pbs, saying that our bodys design was to store fat after a feast to live off of between feasts lol. A show was comparing human bodys to that of a camel. lol but i dont know. one night wont hurt you it may even push you to trying harder to burn off the access calories.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. I think it's important to eat your normal means and not go to the party hungry. Whenever I go to a party hungry, I always end up over eating. Eat your normal meals and then go and enjoy the food and drinks in moderation. The holiday season is about enjoying being around friends and family, don't let the food be the main part of the night. Get a plate and go and sit somewhere and eat it then work the room, talk to people, have water (or wine or whatever), and enjoy conversation over food. But if you go hungry you'll be more likely to eat a lot more and feel guilty later. Just my opinion.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hence the "unless" clause. Not everyone loses control when they are hungry.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This is true and false at the same time. If you eat regularly and healthy the rest of the day yes you can "bank a few" calories, if you refrain from eating and put your body in starvation mode because you're anticipating these calories, you are only doing more harm. You'd honestly be better off to eat normal, go over your calories a little and exercise the next day. It's fine to go over once in a while, its when it becomes a habit that you put weight on, one night will be fine. Enjoy it!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your diverse opinions! I think it is really interesting to hear different strategies for dealing with the constant offerings of high sugar/fat goodies this time of year. I am a teacher and I know the food is going to be POURING in the building next week. *sigh* This is a true test of my will.