Good Start

Options
Dieting is a new experience for me. I was skinny in High School, so I started working out. I ate what I wanted. That continued into my 20s. In my late 20s, I ate what I wanted and worked out harder. In my 30s I worked out even harder and still ate what I wanted. It was in my early 30s that I was in the best shape of my life. I lifted weights 3-4 times a week, ran 5 miles 2-3 times per week, and I was active mountain biking, snow boarding, and playing indoor soccer. When I was 35 I was the strongest I have ever been measured by how much weight I could bench press in a one rep max. My 35 year old self could have slapped my 20 year old self around with impunity. Not long after that I quit working out, but I still ate what I wanted. It took a while, but I got fat.

Now I am in my 40s, and I have made several attempts to lose weight by working out without modifying my diet. I was able to lose a few pounds and trim up, but I was never met with what I consider success. My body has defined my fat self to be 243 pounds. I never go over this, but I haven't weighed less than 240 in years. I am getting married in 3 months, so it is time to make a real effort. My sister told me to try the myfitnesspal app. She has been having great success with it, and it appeals to my tech geek personality.

I loaded the myfitnesspal app and calculated that I need to lose 2 pounds a week to reach my goal. I should have started sooner, but what is done is done. I am alloted1800 calories a day. That is no easy task for a guy used to 1200 calorie lunches. The first day was horrible! I don't remember having been so hungry in my life. I was angry and in pain. I wondered if it was worth it. I seriously recommend gradually reducing your calorie intake, but I stuck with it. I know constantly feeling hungry is no way to live, and most people won't suffer this way for long, but each day has gotten easier. My body has actually gotten used to eating less.

I had to cut fast food double cheeseburgers out of my diet. I reduced my 1-3 alcohol drinks a night to 0 on weeknights. I eat more fruit. Otherwise I mostly eat stuff I like, but I eat less. Instead of 3 Baja Fresh chicken tacos and 2 serving of chips, I eat 2 tacos and 1 serving of chips. Instead of 2 cups of breakfast cereal, I eat 1 cup. I find this leaves me moderately hungry at the end of the meal, but the feeling fades. I have even been skipping evening snacks that I could afford because I wasn't hungry. I cut myself some slack on weekends, although the 3400 calorie day last Friday was too much slack.

What I like about myfitnesspal is it makes me aware of which foods are fattening and which are not. When I cheat, I know it. If there is one thing I will carry forth from this experience, it is a much greater knowledge of what to eat and what to avoid. Even if I stop tracking my diet, I can't help but retain at least some of what I learned.

I am on week 3, and I am losing 2 pounds per week. I know I will be in significantly better shape for my wedding. When the weight becomes harder to lose, I will be more strict with my diet, and I will work out harder. I attain my goals. What I am unsure about is whether this will be a long term change. At some point my drive will waiver. I don't particularly enjoy healthy food. I can't truly predict if the effort will be worth forever. I may be happier a little overweight. For now I am happy with my progress and excited to reach my goal.

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Great job! I also had to reduce my portion amounts when I started out, and I remember going through the same hunger pains.