Tips on getting out of bed to work out!!!

Options

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    it's called get out of bed and go. I do it 4 times a week. Get up a 5am take care of the new puppy, drink a vitamin shake and go.

After 3 weeks it will become a habit.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Turn the floor in your bedroom into a large, touch activated treadmill. Get out of bed in the morning, immediate running.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Even if you've already talked yourself out of working out when the alarm goes off, don't roll over and go back to sleep. Get up and out of bed and move around. Go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, whatever. After a few days or so of actually getting up earlier it will be a lot easier to talk yourself into working out.
  • reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I first went with an elliptical at home from Brookstone ($250) and that got me motivated because you get to sleep a little longer and it's staring at you every day! Also, if you don't get to it some mornings it's waiting for you at night! And then the elliptical died and I had to get a gym membership...

I think as everyone has said though, you have to want to meet your goals and just do it. Yes, skipping the gym just this once won't set you back, but every day it will. Try to focus on the moment. To me the best feeling is the sense of accomplishment I get after I'm done. Half the town is still asleep and I've crossed such an important thing on my list. I've honored my health before the sun even rises, and I can enjoy the ret of the day with one less thing to do. It will become a habit. For me though, it's still a struggle, but one that is worth it. You can totally do it!

That said I should probably sleep now :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Decide to do it and just do it. There's no magic, no motivation pill. You just have to quit hitting snooze and get out of bed and do whatever it is you planned to do.

Or you can go ahead and keep making excuses for why everyone's advice won't work for you. It's all up to you.

This. The keys are all in your own hand. Just do it.
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The one thing that always worked for me is thinking about how GOOD I will feel after I work out and that I will never regret getting up to work out, but I will ALWAYS regret sleeping in.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Same problem here...I was going everyday in the warmer weather......now that it's cold I cant get up so I have to go after work...still feel great but would rather go in the morning.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have found that it's easier for me to get up and out if I wear my workout clothes to bed the night before.

That's funny...maybe I should try that
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I get up a 4:45am and I just get out of bed and do it. Dont even think about it, just get up! This is all up to you. Once you do it a few times, it just becomes habit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Setting the alarm to go off every 2 minutes is great advice, as is moving it to where you have to get out of bed to turn it off. It really works. Maybe set it to some AWFUL sound that you find particularly annoying.

Getting up is so hard for me. The only other advice is to have a baby, but that's a whole lot more permanent.
  • ichliebster
    Options
    You have to make rules and rewards.

Examples for me...

No coffee until the workout is finished. If you miss your workout that day, no coffee at all. If you work out later, coffee has to wait until later.

If I miss the morning workout, I have to work out after work and add 15 minutes (I find this 10 times harder and always regret not getting up that day)

Pick your poison...
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    215398794647454628_WjPB1RjA_b.jpg

I keep motivational "posters" on my computer go back to them when I start to feel like slacking off...
    might sound silly, but it makes me remember why I started this journey and keeps me going when that alarm goes off and it's still dark outside.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I shame myself into it... call myself derogatory names in my head, I also imagine not being able to eat those extra calories that a workout provides, and I imagine feeling all loose and bloaty... that will usually do it.

haha imam have to try this!
  • kepirus
    Options
    If you don't have the self discipline to get it done on your own, I cant imagine strangers on the internet can help you. There's no secret. Just do it. Decide and take action.

"Strangers on the internet" have become my motivational friends, and helped with many great ideas for kicking my own butt.

And if we all had perfect "self discipline" I don't think we would be here.

THANK YOU!!! I know (or hope) everyone means well, but I personally have been trying to become a morning person for the last 20+ years . . . hasn't happened yet. I have 5 different alarms right beside my bed . . . and even that close, I still sleep through them sometimes :-( So putting them across the room isn't an option for me. Everyone is different, so just because some people find success with 'just deciding to do it' doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I'm one of the people that the 24-hr fitness places were made for . . . SO much more likely to work out at midnight/1:00am, then get up at 5:00am . . . though I still have hopes of some day being able to wake up at will in the morning. {sigh}

ETA: and the 'after a few days/weeks, it'll become habit . . . not so much. I've been a high school teacher for 14 years AND have children. STILL have trouble waking up in the morning. :-(
  • Dawn_Batchelder
    Options
    I have a work out buddy at work. We meet and get going by 7 AM. This gives us at least 1 hour of work out time. Neither one of us is willing to not show up for fear of the shame the other will deliver. Most days we are ready to get going 15 minutes early. Then most days at lunch we get 1/2 hour of walking in.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes sleep in my (clean!!) gym clothes so I literally just get out of bed.

I have a Lumie clock that wakes me up with light so I am looking at light as soon as I open my eyes - if the sun is up I will open the curtains.

I also have been known to keep a 150mg caffeine pill (No Doz or similar) and bottle of water next to the bed - I take that when I press snooze on the alarm and by the time the alarm goes off again I am ready to get up because my legs are twitchy.

I also have a dog that would sit outside the door at the other end of the house and yowl and bark to be let in at 5.30am - every morning. After months of getting up and spraying her in the face with water she has FINALLY stopped doing it. But it worked for getting me up in the winter.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!! I know (or hope) everyone means well, but I personally have been trying to become a morning person for the last 20+ years . . . hasn't happened yet. I have 5 different alarms right beside my bed . . . and even that close, I still sleep through them sometimes :-( So putting them across the room isn't an option for me. Everyone is different, so just because some people find success with 'just deciding to do it' doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I'm one of the people that the 24-hr fitness places were made for . . . SO much more likely to work out at midnight/1:00am, then get up at 5:00am . . . though I still have hopes of some day being able to wake up at will in the morning. {sigh}

If working out at night works better for you, there's nothing wrong with sticking to that. Honestly, I'm not a morning person, either. Do you have a 24-hour gym near you? I've read that being a Lark (morning person) or an Owl (night person) is something we're born with. If it isn't an option, maybe have a friend who gets up at that time call you?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    So I am coming back to the workout world after being out for almost 10 years. I used to wake up every morning at 5am and go for a run. Now, 50 pounds heavier and 10 years older I can't seem to drag my lazy butt out of bed!
    I lay out my clothes the night before, set up my bag for the gym, even fill my water bottle, and once that alarm goes off in the morning I just keep hitting snooze until I don't have enough time to make it to the gym.
    However, on the days I do make it I feel so great all day. While I am there it is so rejuvinating.
    Any tips/pointers on ways to motivate myself to get out of the bed? I live alone and it is so easy to just make an excuse to sleep another hour.

As soon as you hear that alarm jump out of bed. I mean literally... jump out of bed. Once you are up and moving it's so much easier.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I take it one step at a time. I come here. GOAL met. I have some coffee. I read posts, get inspiried. I take my aspirin. Read more posts. Comment on a few. Put on my work out bras, yes plural. Then I put on my work our pants. At that point I am confidenent that I didn't just dress up. Orange juice, a few more looks to replies of my posts. Then it's the bad *kitten* Jillian! Oh yeah, I also practice where the pause button is on my DVD player. I know Jillian wants me to be fit, she doesn't want me to be dead. At 52, it is hard but my walking around feel good muscles are feeling confident.