Protein Powder :)

Options
I need some ideas of a good protein powder to buy, probably in chocolate or vanilla. Any ideas on which are good vs. which are gross? I know they have different ones with soy, whey, etc. I don't know which is easy to drink vs. the nasty ones that gag you! lol I was trying to get something I could buy at like Wal Mart or a normal store you can find anywhere. Any ideas? (Besides me stop being a baby! lol)

Replies

• lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the BSN Syntha-6; tastes good and only 200 cals.
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just bought some vanilla flavored whey protein at Walmart. I don't drink it straight . . . I made this smoothie with it:

http://www.food.com/recipe/berry-blast-protein-shake-fruit-smoothie-162123

I don't think I could ever just eat straight protein powder and water, but maybe that's what you're looking to do.

The smoothie was delicious.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could drink it with plain water. I've heard of a lot of others that mix with bananas, peanut butter, etc. to give it a better taste. I'm open to anything, as long as it doesn't have a million calories or upset my stomach.
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love Core 4 Lean protein powder by Xyngular.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have Body Fortress I used my vanilla and now have chocolate which I love so much more I just add it to coffee instead of creamer. :drinker:
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could drink it with plain water. I've heard of a lot of others that mix with bananas, peanut butter, etc. to give it a better taste. I'm open to anything, as long as it doesn't have a million calories or upset my stomach.

Some people can't tolerate whey, you may want to look into soy-based. Given you concern is how your stomach reacts, my recommendation would be to experiment with different types to see what works for you.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Might be a good idea. :) Oh, And where do you buy your powders from? Sorry, I should have put that in the original post!
  • takeru69
    Options
    Lately i tryed Optimum Nutriton (ON) Gold standard 100% whey (Strawbery) and Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic serie (Chocolate).

For the taste i prefer the gaspari it also make a thicker shake then the ON one. But it is also harder to mix and it gave me bloating.

Depending on where you live bodybuilding.com is a good online store for suplement.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lately i tryed Optimum Nutriton (ON) Gold standard 100% whey (Strawbery) and Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic serie (Chocolate).

For the taste i prefer the gaspari it also make a thicker shake then the ON one. But it is also harder to mix and it gave me bloating.

Depending on where you live bodybuilding.com is a good online store for suplement.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • crunch173
    crunch173 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Protein powder. The package says that a serving size is 3 scoops, but the calorie count is wicked high. So, I only use 1 scoop in my smoothies after I workout and it's just under 100 calories. It comes in a bunch of flavors, but I like the chocolate the best.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    At walmart the body fortress chocolate and vanilla are good, I mix with milk
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I've heard this before too!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We use Vega protein powder. It has neither whey nor soy. It comes in Berry, Chocolate, Vanilla Chai and Natural flavor (not sure what Natural is...probably yucky. ha ha). I say "we use" but I've never actually used a protein powder. My husband does occasionally and this is the one we buy. I don't have any nutritional deficits so I haven't bothered, altho I considered trying it for the extra calories earlier this month when my training was so heavy. He prefers the taste of the chai one to the others. You can buy packets of the flavors to try. chai is 136 calories per scoop.

Here's the breakdown from the website:

50% daily intake of vitamins and minerals
    15 g protein
    6 g fibre
    1.5 g Omega-3
    Antioxidants
    Probiotics
    Greens

Formulated by Brendan Brazier, professional Ironman triathlete and bestselling author on performance nutrition, Vega One is free from dairy, gluten and soy, and contains no added sugar, artificial flavours, colours or sweeteners.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Trutein > your face
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    EAS whey protein is my favorite. Whatever you try though, be sure to use a blender and blend it up real good. It doesn't really mix well with a spoon and gets clumpy. I think a lot of people get turned off by it because of this.

Most grocery stores carry this brand. I've bought it at Wal-mart, Kroger, and Publix.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Isopure Zero, but most of the non fruit & non chocolate flavors taste like vanilla. Even my chocolate mint tastes like vanilla. It's kinda funny. I also like Sun Warrior Warrior Blend and Dymatize. Muscle Nog is tasty too
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like the body fortress a lot. It blends pretty well and the flavors are a lot better than some more expensive powders I've tried. I like to blend with frozen fruit and/or almond milk, but even just in water they're not bad. I would just say don't buy a store brand powder. I tried Target's and it was awful. Couldn't even force myself to drink it.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen vanilla ice cream and love it
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    i use phd synergy chocolate mint , its rather good

or sci-mx strawberry whey

tend to take mine with milk too , just cus im hardcore
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    My Fav is Body Fortress Vanilla Whey