Strength train first or last?

Options
2»

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    strength first since you need the energy to push yourself the hardest you can.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    my PT said it like this. Cardio warm-up even before you stretch. She explained it like this. Your body is like gum, you cannot just pull at gum, it will snap, first you have to chew it. Chewing it is the same as running, you are getting the friction and the molecules pumping, once you have it loosened from the chewing (running) you can stretch it much easier. Running prior as a warm up is taking the blood and distributing it throughout your body faster, like when you mix iced-tea. We all run 5 minutes prior to any work out.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would to be to put some time in between the two. A few hours at least, but if that isn't an option then it really depends on what you want your end results to be. If you are wanting to bulk ( since you are a lady I doubt it) the do cardio first. If you are trying to slim down do cardio after.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you don't want to be tired for you should do first.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Lift first. I've found that if I do cardio first (when I decide to lift and do cardio in the same day), my muscles are too fatigued to lift afterwards. But that's just me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to incorporate strength training but does it matter if I do it before cardio or after cardio?

I do my cardio after my strength training class. Oddly enough, it helps to loosen my muscles after an hour of Body Pump. I get on the treadmill for about 30 minutes and then hang out in the sauna afterwards.

For clarity's sake, Body Pump is not strength training. It is muscle endurance training. Basically, cardio with weights.
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    I don't have a brilliant answer...but do have a question....Why must you do both on the same day? I alternate...easier to have ample energy for each...my 42 cents worth!
  • mmapags
    Options
    I don't have a brilliant answer...but do have a question....Why must you do both on the same day? I alternate...easier to have ample energy for each...my 42 cents worth!

This is acutally the best plan as the hormonal reactions of each are somewhat in conflict.
    "AMPK is the metabolic pathway through which you adapt to cardio exercise. This interferes with MTOR, the metabolic pathway responsible for muscle protein synthesis." From a post by Fire_Rock who explained it well.

That being said, sometimes people with busy livws get done what they can when they can. I do strength and cardio on different days myself.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't know the right terms.....but I do cardio for two minutes, then weight stuff for two minutes, then cardio, etc. Keeps my heart rate up the entire time - also more interesting and fun for an easily bored person like me.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    strength training should be done on a seperate day than your cardio, unless you are incorporating it in something like martial arts/kick boxing. from what i read, those 2 things should be seperate.

^ THIS

Is incorrect if the cardio is intense. It will hinder muscle recovery and make any serious leg lifting work harder the next day. Plus it is assumed that the person is in a calorie deficit which is already hindering recovery. Calorie deficit=recovery deficit.

Lift first, cardio after if desired.
  • mmapags
    Options
    strength training should be done on a seperate day than your cardio, unless you are incorporating it in something like martial arts/kick boxing. from what i read, those 2 things should be seperate.

^ THIS

Is incorrect if the cardio is intense. It will hinder muscle recovery and make any serious leg lifting work harder the next day. Plus it is assumed that the person is in a calorie deficit which is already hindering recovery. Calorie deficit=recovery deficit.

Lift first, cardio after if desired.

Agreed! My off day cardio is a light run, bike ride or a walk. All low intensity steady state. Generally a little calorie burning and active recovery.