Filling foods that are low calorie and not unhealthy

Options
I'm looking for suggestions of foods that are somewhat filling and not "bad" for you. Currently, I'm on a carrot kick.

I've done relatively well with weight loss over the past year, but I've plateaued for the last couple months, in part because I'm just hungry more, so I eat (and admittedly, I don't always log it all -- but I usually do). I want to lose at least another 20 pounds, but it's getting harder and harder.

I'm looking for ideas of things to eat that will be satisfying without adding a lot of calories.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't find most low calorie food filling, though many are tasty. Lowfat cottage cheese is pretty filling, though,
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Every fruit and vegetable, beans, tofu, soups with clear broths and no fatty meat in them. Corn thins, rice cakes (I don't recommend: not nutrient dense enough for me personally).

when I first started "dieting" i made up a HUGE pot of veg soup weekly (I didn't put in carby veg, though, like potato, carrot or beans).

Here's my basic soup recipe: http://aldousmom.tumblr.com/post/15300721847/my-fav-veg-soup-my-fav-wrap-sandwich-best-lunch

How this helped: it was filling, it was hot, it took a long time to eat a big bowl, but didn't have tons of calories, AND (best part) packed full of nutrients which help reduce cravings (cravings are caused my nutrient deficits a lot of times). win, win, win!

Seriously, if you can concentrate on nutrient density (instead of calorie density) you won't really want/ need extra food or snacks.
    Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    when I first started "dieting" i made up a HUGE pot of veg soup weekly (I didn't put in carby veg, though, like potato, carrot or beans).

Ah yes, I forgot about soup. Broth based soups can be very low calorie and filling (for a bit, anyway).
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love spagetthi squash, it's delicous with salt and pepper and a tbsp of parmasean cheese or with tomato sauce. Filling and 40 calories a cup for the squash.
    A snack I love is a small apple (small spartan is 60 cals), a cheese string (60 cals) and a turkey pepperoni stick (60 cals) always keeps me going until dinner time.
    Other than that, I find a protein shake with almond milk and some fresh fruit filling and the one I make is about 300 calories.
  • ehagerman
    Options
    celery!
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables, especially raw or frozen ones. I make up baggies of mixed chopped veggies to tuck in with my lunches and so I can reach into the fridge and pick up a snack quickly. Do this when you bring the veggies home, or shortly after. I found that I didn't want to reach into the vegetable drawer to pick out a whole head of cauliflower, some cabbage, and carrots--but if I prepackage it; I make different combinations for snacks. Obviously you can't do too many days ahead for freshness sake, but I probably do about 4 days worth at a time and make up more while I'm making dinner salads if I'm out of snacks. I also bag up pretzels in single serving amounts, because I love them too. Crunchy foods make me full faster than soft foods, I suppose it's all the chewing. I re-use baggies multiple times, just rinse out the veggie ones and don't even worry about the pretzel baggies! I could also use small reusable containers that I could grab at a moment's notice. This time of year, I love clementines (cuties). Sometimes, I eat a cup of whole grain cheerios, anything whole grain or high fiber will keep you satisfied longer. The key for me is to have something I can grab quickly, just like I used to grab a poptart, snack cake, etc.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yum, bump for later! :)
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I made a butternut squash soup that was really good, low cal. and super filling.
    -roast butternut squash (slice in half and bake in oven at 400 for about 45-60mins)
    -peel, get rid of seeds, and cut into squares
    -chop up an onion and carrots and garlic and saute in about 1 tbs oil until soft
    -add butternut squash and seasonings (I used salt, pepper, 1 tsp cumin powder, chili powder, corriander powder) and saute
    -add 3 cups chicken broth, 1 cup 1% milk and mix, add about 1/2 bar of low fat cream cheese
    -add to blender and puree

This ends up being thick hearty creamy and overall super yummy. It makes about 6 cups at less than 150 cals a bowl and it is hard to have more than 1 bowl! I roast my butternut squash whenever I am roasting other stuff and throw it in the refridge until I am ready to make my soup.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anything with a ton of fiber is going to be filling and keep you going for a longer period of time. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber! Super delicious & low in calories...try it out!
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Microwave butternut squash! Super simple, fast, and low calorie.
    SlIce in half lengthwise (leave seeds in). Place on large plate with another plate over it.
    Cook on high in microwave 12-16 mins (mine takes 12 but I have a 1300 watt MW).
    Take out with oven mitts. Scoop out the seeds.

Use a spoon to eat the delicious insides!

120g is only 50 calories. SO a half squash might only be 100-150 cals.
  • michelxj
    Options
    I am on a butternut squash kick with southern greens (kale, collard, mustard, spinach). For 3/4 c. squash and 1 c. greens, only 83 calories and I'm full for hours!!! I buy the squash pre-peeled and cut, boil and mash- add salt and pepper. Then the greens I boil with rice vinegar/water mixture, garlic and chiles, delish.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I avoid hunger by increasing number of meals... get the snacks planned and in between meals and in the evening. I have to plan and stay focused to keep the calories within range but its working for me.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You already got the fruit, veggie and broth stuff. So, these are a few of my favorite filling snacks.
    I like crunchy, potato chip kind of crunchy, so here are my crunchy favorites.Not everyone finds this filling or tasty, but I loooove roasted seaweed snack (i get mine from Trader Joe's). Also, freeze dried apples have way fewer calories than I would have expected. Be careful with those though because some crazy brands add sugar. Plentils are good too.
    Lastly, Kale chips.
    If you're interested in other yummy foods that other people think sound weird, I'm your girl :tongue: Trying a bunch of different stuff is the only way I can keep healthy, otherwise I get bored.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek yogurt and almonds is my filling snack of choice. I will throw some craisins in it when I am looking for some sweetness. Or an apple with 1 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Cauliflower, cooked zucchini, roasted green beans and brussel sprouts, air popped popcorn, beans, etc. :)
  • Mommyjenlynn
    Mommyjenlynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oranges, Grapes, Squash, Cottage Cheese, Eggs are some of my favorites that I rely on and eat most. I am HUGE on yogurt too and will normally eat like 2 a day.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like black beans. :-D
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    PB2 on a apple.

pear and string cheese

cottage cheese and blueberries

whats your idea of low cal?. mine is 200 for a snack.

kashi go lean cereal and greek yogurt
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Every fruit and vegetable, beans, tofu, soups with clear broths and no fatty meat in them. Corn thins, rice cakes (I don't recommend: not nutrient dense enough for me personally).

Here's my basic soup recipe: http://aldousmom.tumblr.com/post/15300721847/my-fav-veg-soup-my-fav-wrap-sandwich-best-lunch

How this helped: it was filling, it was hot, it took a long time to eat a big bowl, but didn't have tons of calories, AND (best part) packed full of nutrients which help reduce cravings (cravings are caused my nutrient deficits a lot of times). win, win, win!

Seriously, if you can concentrate on nutrient density (instead of calorie density) you won't really want/ need extra food or snacks.
    Good luck!

May I ask how you stored it etc for the week?
    I would love to make a big pot of soup to last the week, but no idea what to portion it into and how to store it so it lasts the week.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Gala apples! :love: Taste so much better the Red Delicious that I've been eating for decades. Plus a medium one has 5g fiber! When I work from home, my "brunch" is a fruit plate of 2-3 Galas plus2-3 servings of other fruits. Munch off that for 30-60 min and keeps me full for HOURS! Extra bonus: EXTREMELY low sodium so I have plenty allowable for dinner and snacks.

*Edit to correct a word