Is just running enough?

Options
Simple as that. With a healthy diet, is just running enough to keep a person fit and healthy? Or do we have to do strength training as well, or other types of cardio on top of running. I'm naturally already muscular (especially my legs) so would JUST RUNNING be enough to keep my body thin, lean, not bulky, and overall healthy? I would probably still do a bit of strength training, especially for my upper body, but just for argument's sake..?

Replies

• runningforlife68
    Options
    My belief is a couple of days of strength training is needed for good all around fitness....especially as we get older. It seems when I lift I also have less running injuries. Just my two cents.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It is actually an easier decision for women than men. When I lift and eat, even at a deficit, I put on muscle weight. Women don't bulk near as easily. You will trade your wobbly bits for firm bits over time and not increase any appreciable mass unless you eat at a calorie surplus. You can lift and lift fairly heavy and be fine.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is enough, my dear friend.

But I would strength train, bleh to the runners. BLEH! :drinker:
  • JudySwims
    JudySwims Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Add swimming to get long and lean! Perfect compliment to running!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, weight loss or fit and healthy?

Strength training should be incorporated to be fit and healthy as it will help maintain the muscle you already have and can increase bone density (helps fight osteoporosis)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    my perfect workout would be to run to the gym.

I personally do both.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Wait swimming gets you longer?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think running alone is enough to keep you healthy and fit. But that depends on one's definition of "fit". I think just about everyone can benefit from strength training. Not only does it improve endurance by building muscle, but it increases bone density as well.

Adding other forms of cardio is entirely up to you. As Judy said, swimming is one of the best cardio exercises for your body - easy on the joints and tones muscles. That being said, I would still suggest strength training a few days a week. Your body can only benefit from it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think you need some strength training. Depending on your body, you *may* get what you want from running alone, results not guaranteed. Strength training is pretty much universally beneficial, and really doesn't require much time if your goal is just to maintain fitness. 2x45 min sessions a week is all you would need. You might even be able to cut it to 30min with a really efficient program.

As far as other cardio- running is by FAR my favorite, but cross training is a good idea to help protect your joints and have balanced muscle development.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Strength training is more important than just burning calories. For women especially who have a higher risk of osteoporosis, lifting weights help to increase bone density!!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Strength training should be incorporated to be fit and healthy as it will help maintain the muscle you already have and can increase bone density (helps fight osteoporosis)
    "
    Right now it's weight loss, but once I get to where I want to be (another 5-10lbs) I want to be as lean as possible. Not skinny fat, not bulky.. Just lean. Ya know? So maybe focus on mostly cardio for now, then once I hit my goal weight focus a bit more on the ST. Also, once I hit my goal weight, I don't plan on using the scale much...Mostly going to focus on inches & clothes size.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Caloric deficit is enough, my dear friend.

But I would strength train, bleh to the runners. BLEH! :drinker:

Calorie deficit would be a great answer if the OP was asking about weight loss.

Since she's asking about long term fitness maintenance, not so much.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

"
    Right now it's weight loss, but once I get to where I want to be (another 5-10lbs) I want to be as lean as possible. Not skinny fat, not bulky.. Just lean. Ya know? So maybe focus on mostly cardio for now, then once I hit my goal weight focus a bit more on the ST. Also, once I hit my goal weight, I don't plan on using the scale much...Mostly going to focus on inches & clothes size.

You will get much better results if you start strength training now.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    "What works" isn't the same thing as "what works best."

But for the goals you listed, yes, you can reach and maintain those goals with running only.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Simple as that. With a healthy diet, is just running enough to keep a person fit and healthy? Or do we have to do strength training as well, or other types of cardio on top of running. I'm naturally already muscular (especially my legs) so would JUST RUNNING be enough to keep my body thin, lean, not bulky, and overall healthy? I would probably still do a bit of strength training, especially for my upper body, but just for argument's sake..?

No way! Running is definitely not enough! Cardio and strength training is needed. Cardio to build cardiovascular health which will help you lower your risk for heart dieseases, dietbetes, and other hypokinetic conditions....and strength training to support your body. When you get older, if you have poor core strength you are more at risk for injury and back pain...if you have weak muscles it aids in the development of osteoporosis! A higher percentage of muscle in a person's body will slow creeping obesity...there are a thousand reasons I can name...but you definitely need a varied workout routine.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Wait swimming gets you longer?

No wonder I'm so short, I don't swim! It all makes sense now
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

"

You will get much better results if you start strength training now.

^^This
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Muscle is one of those things where the saying "If you dont use it you lose it" applies. By not strength training you'll gradually become skinny fat as your muscles atrophy. Strength training is also beneficial for bone health as Eric mentioned.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    YES
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I have access to 0 pools.....can't complain much though, my gym is $11/month lol