:( now what to do to keep the weight off

Options
I have been running 5 miles every other day and biking 25-40 miles on the off days 7 days a week for a couple years and have managed to keep my weight very stable...Now because of some tendon and pain issues when running I may have to quit for several months or longer...
I can still bike but I think the running keeps the weight off and burns more calories than biking...what to do

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    STRENGHT TRAIN!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^Second FitBeto

Strength training is an option, but focus on diet! That is where true weight loss comes from.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Adjust your food intake to account for the reduction in exercise.
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Elliptical? :)
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i dont have an eliptical but I do have a sta. indoor bike and nordiac track sk machine and weight machine....I just think the running does the most ???
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    STRENGHT TRAIN!
    Mihgt maek him bukly
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i dont have an eliptical but I do have a sta. indoor bike and nordiac track sk machine and weight machine....I just think the running does the most ???
    you can burn the same amount of calories by doing any exercise, you may feel like youre doing more with running because of the full body motion but any exercise is better than none
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Adjust your food intake to account for the reduction in exercise.

This. Even without exercise a person can avoid gaining weight by monitoring their food intake. I'm not saying that's the ideal situation, but diet is first and foremost imo. But by all means, if you can, strength train. According to the info that I am seeing lately, it's even better than cardio anyway.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Strength training provides greater strength and fat loss as compared to running or any cardio. Also, ST burns calories for up to 24 hours post workout and can improve your metabolic rate. So running doesn't provide the most of anything but cardio health and a good calorie burn.
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree with what people are saying about diet and making any necessary adjustments to your calorie intake to make up for doing less exercise at the moment. It sounds like it's really important for you to take some time to let your injuries heal, rather than keep up your usual amount of activity.