Why as exercise goes up my hunger goes down?

Options
I have noticed this before and now as I get back to working out after a 6week break - I really notice it again. As I'm working out more my appetite has decreased. I leave about 200c not eaten - and that's in addition to the 250c deficit that MFP creates for me. ??? I know too - that in a few days that will change and I'll eat all of my calories (at least that's the pattern in the past). But it makes me wonder about changed in brain chemistry or body chemistry that result in this (I'm a bit of a nerd).

Anyone else experience this?

Or know anymore about the reason behind this?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've found the same thing. I asume it's hormonal but don't know.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's called the fight of flight mode. Look it up. :)
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this before and now as I get back to working out after a 6week break - I really notice it again. As I'm working out more my appetite has decreased. I leave about 200c not eaten - and that's in addition to the 250c deficit that MFP creates for me. ??? I know too - that in a few days that will change and I'll eat all of my calories (at least that's the pattern in the past). But it makes me wonder about changed in brain chemistry or body chemistry that result in this (I'm a bit of a nerd).

Anyone else experience this?

Or know anymore about the reason behind this?

As you are working out more, you are getting into more shape that your body doesn't utilize as much energy; thus, requiring less consumption of food for energy. :-) It's normal and it happened to me when I first started out. I was undereating.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Cortisol
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Exercise is an appetite suppressant for me too. It just is that way for some people. But it usually only lasts a few hours at most - and if I don't eat enough that day, i'll wake up RAVENOUS and STARVING the next day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on the workout .. HIIT style workouts and weight lifting with medium-heavy weights higher reps take away my hunger.
    steadier cardio and heavy lifting make me into a bottomless pit.

i try to do a mix of the two
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Opposite problem-- the more I workout the hungrier I get.... wish I had your problem.

Ditto. I'm ravenous after a workout.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Exercise is an appetite suppressant for me too. It just is that way for some people. But it usually only lasts a few hours at most - and if I don't eat enough that day, i'll wake up RAVENOUS and STARVING the next day.

Same here
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A long run completely kills my appetite. Lifting turns me into a Dyson. That's the main reason I switched to eating the same amount every day with a weekly average for exercise mixed in, instead of adding exercise calories each day.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am hungry and go to workout, I am not hungry anymore, but it only lasts for a few hours and then I feel totally "starving"
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too, and I wondered if it was my body finally pushing through and speaking louder than my emotional hungers.
  • I forget the resson, but yes it's true and an added bonus to working out! The only exercise I know of that INCREASES appetite is swimming in cold water.
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am having this same issue today. I worked out hard with running and strength training, and I have not been hungry since then. I don't want to stuff myself with food because then I'll feel bloated. I was thinking maybe it was all the ab work I did today.

Thanks for this post.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    with time, you calorie intake my change, so why not do a new calculations for it , using your BF%, calorie intake is not a bible it can change with time because of many reasons