7 Day Detox Cleanse

Options
I've noticed that my immune system and energy haven't been what I'd like them to be lately. After the new year I've been thinking about doing a 7 Day Detox Cleanse and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

For the record I'm not going to be doing the crazy crash diet version. I'm planning on eating my allotted calories like I do now. I'm just planning on abstaining from meat, dairy, sugar (except in the form of fruit) wheat and processed foods for a week. I'm also planning on avoiding all alcohol and making an effort to eat foods that are high in antioxidants and vitamins.

So lots of fruits, fruit smoothies smoothies, nuts, veggies that are either raw, steamed or lightly sauteed in garlic and EVOO.
Basically I'll be eating like a very health conscious vegan. I'd like to do this year round, (minus the occasional glass of wine) but my lifestyle doesn't support it.

Has anyone ever done a cleanse like this? How were the results?

Replies

• MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also if you have two questions:

I would like to keep drinking green tea. Do you think that's an ok idea or is cutting all caffeine would be better.
    I take an omega 3 supplement for my hair and skin health. I was thinking about allowing that as an exception to the no animal product stipulation. Thoughts?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    would you like advice from someone who has not done it?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't know about cleanses but if you are tired maybe you are not eating enough. I recently upped my calories from a 1,200 gross to 1,450 net and am less tired and losing more.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    no meat, dairy, sugar or wheat? :frown:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Basically I'll be eating like a very health conscious vegan. I'd like to do this year round, (minus the occasional glass of wine) but my lifestyle doesn't support it.

Find a happy medium that you can sustain indefinitely, and enjoy year-round wellness
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am confused. It just sounds like you are going on a whole food vegan diet for a week. I am not sure how/why that would be called a cleanse.

How will you get enough protein?
  • MeganG12345
    Options
    I am confused. It just sounds like you are going on a whole food vegan diet for a week. I am not sure how/why that would be called a cleanse.

Hummus and nuts.

Edit: And beans

As to why it's called a cleanse. I don't know a book I came across and Dr. Oz both described it as one.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The human body is a very complex machine and is capable of cleansing itself. I wouldn't presume in my ignorance to know better than it does.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    NO
  • MeganG12345
    Options
    NO

YES

Seriously I'm all for negative feedback.. so long as there's actually feedback.
  • MeganG12345
    Options

Find a happy medium that you can sustain indefinitely, and enjoy year-round wellness

That was going to be my goal for after the week. I just wanted to try cutting it all out for a week and then gradually introducing some healthier processed grains and dairy back into my diet.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    NO

YES

OK Then honestly it sounds unnecessary. If you feel your immune system is compromised I would see a doctor. If it is just a matter of feeling lethargic or weak I would consider adding healthier varieties to your diet rather than cutting randomly. Unless you have a sensitivity to dairy or wheat then this won't really do you any good.
    ETA: I simply don't trust Dr. Oz. He gives bad advice.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    NO

YES

You asked in your original post if anyone had tried anything like this. Her answer was NO. What kind of feedback were you looking for?
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    NO

YES

You asked in your original post if anyone had tried anything like this. Her answer was NO. What kind of feedback were you looking for?

thank you. I was just about to write this.
    you asked has anyone ever done a cleanse like this?

I answered NO.
  • queennay47
    Options
    Hello I have never done a cleanse like this but it sounds very much like a "Daniel Fast" which actually comes from the bible. I have not done it for weight lost but for other reasons and after 1 week, I lost 4 pounds. I felt good as far as energy. I go on these fast about once every few months. I have been toying with becoming a vegetarian. Hope this helps.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    My husband has done a 21 day vegan detox last year. He is going to do it again this January. He said that it was completely life changing. He wishes he had enough gumption to keep at it for the most part for the rest of his life. He has a lot of anxiety, heart palpatations, reflex issues, gas, foggy head/mind, sleep issues, and more. After the 21 day detox he said he had so much more energy than normal. He said he could think so clearly, slept so much better -AND didn't need to sleep as much, hardly any heart palpatations, no more reflux issues. 99% of his health issues went away. He did a 3 day juice diet and then for the rest of the three weeks he ate veggie subs, vegan pizzas, cereal- but had lots more fruits and veggies than normal. I totally recommend it. Now that I'm not pregnant, I plan to join him with his reboot as he calls it. I think it's easy to eat vegan, but it's so convenient and "normal" to eat meat and cheeses each day.

Good luck.
  • MattN1972
    Options
    One night of drinking Bud Light Keg beer = next day full cleanse.

Other than that, I got nothing for you.
  • Annieloujackson
    Annieloujackson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done one-- it was great. My day was:
    Breakfast: freshly-juiced carrots, celery, apples and lemons (and an occasional cucumber or beet. About a quart.
    Lunch: big salad with "clean" dressing (like BreAnna's), a banana, and a grapefruit. And two boiled eggs for protein.
    Dinner: same as breakfast
    Before bed/dessert: large green smoothie

I lost 8 stubborn pounds and my skin totally cleared up. Got off caffeine. I definitely couldn't keep it up for longer, but it was fantastic for a cleanse.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Hummus and nuts.

Edit: And beans

As to why it's called a cleanse. I don't know a book I came across and Dr. Oz both described it as one.

Hummus and nuts are very calorie dense and do not give much protein for the 'calorie buck' You will not be getting enough protein if you eat at a calorie deficit.

A word to the wise - ignore anything and everything that Dr Oz says - the guy is a quack.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Agreed. Going too hardcore will lead to failure in most cases. Seven days is really long when you're being super strict.