Whey protien, what kind do you use?

Options
Well, I'm doing a high protien diet at the moment. I changed MFP to have 50% protien a day. I was having a hard time feeling full and so on and so on. Reason's I changed it are my own I guess. Anyway, with my protien intake being so high I was finding it hard to get enough without going over on fat. That's when I decided to get some protien powder.

I'm just nosey :laugh: Actually I've been called "nosey rosey" more than once :tongue: Anyway, I'm using six star muscle protien powder. I don't use it for body building like the package instructions say. Just one shake a day :wink: I think if you are body building it says to take like 6 servings a day!

Anyway, just curious what mixes everyone else is using?

I chose this one for price, low calories, and high protien (28 grams) However after I'm done putting the fruit and yogurt it's 36 protien. Only down side is the carbs are pretty high, around 26 I think.

Replies

• l_slade
    Options
    I have also been taking protien shakes, I do not personaly have any education in nutrition, but was told that cheaper is not always better. The less expensive protiens tend to be loaded up with sugars and that sticking with a Protien whey isolate is your best bet!

I switch up what I am taking at the end of each bottle as to keep myself from getting to bored with my protien. So far, Kaizen Isolate Decadent chocolate has been my favorite!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    My favorite is Jay Robb's whey protein, its all natural, no artificial sweeteners (it has stevia instead) and the whey is from cows who are antibiotic & hormone free. only caveat is it MUST be mixed in a blender with at least some milk (soy, almond or rice milk all works) because it just doesnt mix really well on its own.

Another good way to boost protein without boosting carbs & fat is greek yogurt. Fage & Oikios (Stoneyfield) are at most grocery stores-you might need to check the natural foods section- its thick, creamy & rich and can be eaten on its own (although it tastes like sour cream) I use it instead of sour cream or mayo in dips, mix frozen fruit into it for frozen yogurt, top baked potatoes with it, or just stir in stevia & cinnamon and eat it on its own. about 90 calories in the little cups, no fat, 6 carbs & 16 grams of protein!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE MILK!!!! I love it, it tasted great and keeps me full!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've been using Naturally Preferred vanilla flavored whey protein powder for the last few months. I just finished the can this morning and I have to figure out if I'm going to stick with it or try something new.

I put it in my oatmeal in the morning and when the weather was warmer, I was making smoothies with it. I bought it because the calories to protein ratio was lower than for most others (81 calories for 18g protein), it was affordable, and it didn't have a whole lot of extra crap in it (sweetened with stevia). The flavor is stomachable and I don't even notice it in my oatmeal after I mix in 1tbs peanut butter. I've even mixed half a scoop with a few ounces of yogurt for an afternoon snack. Overall, I would buy it again.
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just switched and started taking Jillian Michaels protein powder. It's the only one I could find sweetened with stevia instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. It actually tastes really good too!
  • l_slade
    Options
    Where do you get the Jillian Michaels protien, I would like to try it!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Where do you get the Jillian Michaels protien, I would like to try it!

I saw it at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you can pick it up at any drug store or GNC
  • Krkennedy
    Options
    I use EAS Myoplex but I only use it after I lift weights. Taking in protein powder can help build and repair muscles due to the amino acids but I would be very careful with protein powders you do not want to blow up. The amino acids in protein acts just like construction workers when a building is destoryed by a storm. They come in and rebuild and they is what the amino acids does in protein. They come in after you have broken your muscles down and build them back up. I know that this program doesn't give a lost of calories to eat but the more I workout the more I get to eat. :happy:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've also been using the vanilla Jillian Michaels protein powder. I'm pretty new to using protein powder and I chose hers because it came in a smaller container and I didn't want a bunch to go to waste if I didn't like it. I've only mixed it with milk so far and it was okay. A little chunky (but I could have mixed it better probably), but I think it would be pretty good with some fruit in a smoothie.
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk! It keep me full and it tastes just like a milkshake, every kind!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I use EAS Myoplex but I only use it after I lift weights. Taking in protein powder can help build and repair muscles due to the amino acids but I would be very careful with protein powders you do not want to blow up. The amino acids in protein acts just like construction workers when a building is destoryed by a storm. They come in and rebuild and they is what the amino acids does in protein. They come in after you have broken your muscles down and build them back up. I know that this program doesn't give a lost of calories to eat but the more I workout the more I get to eat. :happy:

I only use it on days I work out as well. I'm not just mixing up protien shakes and laying around the house :laugh: My husband warned me I'd gain alot of weight if I didn't workout hard. I am at the gym almost 6 days a week, lifting weights everytime. For me, personally, I had to have more protien. I could have ate 2000 calories and probably still been hungry. I'm not saying the high protien thing works for everyone, but it's working for me.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use either BioChem 100% whey protein in chocolate fudge and vanilla OR Optimum Nutrition 100% classic whey brand. Both taste good and have high protein content and no refined white sugar. I'm partial to Biochem because they don't have any artificial chemicals and they use stevia for sweeteners...but they do use fructose. Whereas Optimum Nutrition uses Acesulfame and has more protein.

For a good chocolate fix, try a chocolate protein shake! mix with banana's or PB for a chocofix and extra protein!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS as well from GNC. We bought it in choc and also vanilla. I was advised to take a vitamin each day as well, as protein powder can pull calcium from your bones per GNC gal. I only use it on days I work out running.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My two favorites are EAS Myoplex and Muscle Milk (not a weight gainer, it's 130 cals and 26g of protein per scoop). I buy the Muscle Milk at Costco right now. It's 3 lbs for $28. GREAT PRICE!
    otherwise, I'd look into buying it at www.bodybuilding.com or I've heard that www.supplementwarehouse.com/ is good too.