Cardio vs. strength training

Options
So, I've had some mild success so far. 3 months in and 10 lbs. down. I work out about 4 times a week doing mostly cardio (some running, swimming, and biking) and pilates. I'm getting bored so I'm thinking about adding some weight training to my routine.

Should I do cardio and weights on same days or separate?

If I do them together, how much cardio? Before or after weights?

What muscle groups should I work out together? I've seen a lot of postive feedback about compound strength training (makes sense), but I'm not sure how to put it together to really benefit myself.

There is always so much information going around, so what really works?? I would like to drop 20 more and really tone up. My diet is actually pretty good so I feel confident in that aspect.

Thanks for the helpful advice!!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    My workouts include cardio and weights. My cardio is generally the high intense stuff, so no weights that day, I couldn't even if I wanted to lol. On weight training days mostly compound lifts, I do about 30-45 minutes on the treadmill at a leisurely pace after weights.
  • Chelsey1224
    Chelsey1224 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well.....I am a biological science major and we just learned about different work outs in my fitness class. A good way to burn fat is to do both cardio and strength training. You should do 20-30 mins cardio work out, then with a very short break of about 10-20 second in between and then lift weights

doing small weights and many repetitions will build endurance and if you do heavier weights and a low # of repetitions this will build strength. trying doing both types of these in the same work out. you can also do lunges with weights in your hands to tone your legs and squats with weights also.