Already helpful and inspiring

Options
I heard about MFP in a magazine somewhere, and signed up about one week into a diet. I'm here to lose the last 10 pounds (of 23) that I gained while being basically bedridden last year during breast cancer treatment. I'm 3 pounds from that goal. (Most of it was fluid from the chemo and steroids, so I can't really take credit for the weight loss.) The next goal: losing the last 10 pounds of baby weight. (I found my lump while breastfeeding my son, so it's never come off.)

I finished cancer treatment in August, had a clear mammogram in September, and it wasn't until late January of this year that I even cared about the 23 pounds I had gained during chemo and radiation. I was just happy to be alive, reveling in that feeling, treating myself to anything I wanted, cooking again for my family, and just living my life, something I was far too ill to do for an entire year.

But then, I was walking across a parking lot, carrying my 3 year old son, and I realized I could not stand for one more minute the back fat jiggling. And I started the careful eating, exercising (pretty much for the first time in 5 years, since I've had children), and now tracking everything here.

I really beat myself up on Valentine's Day for going 245 calories over -- too many treats around my house! -- but I'm back on track and feeling good.

I'm finding it really helpful, in those low, weak, hungry, loss-of-willpower moments, to log on here and get connected to you all. So thank you. I've been inspired and kept on track reading these comments for a few weeks now, and thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself.

Thanks, all!
Allison

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome! Congrats on your recovery ... now on to getting rid of the "back fat jiggling":grumble: This is a great place to gain new friends and daily encouragement!

:smile: Laura
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Backfat sux. You rock. Let's do it. :laugh:

Want my usual "welcome aboard" post?
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Allison! We are glad to have you hear. Congratulations on your recovery!!! I'm with you on the back fat, I'm trying to get rid of that myself, along with the mid-section area..lol! Whenever I'm down I come here as well, there is so much support and words of encouragement from everyone and it lets you know that you are not alone and the only one struggling with weight loss. See you around! :wink:
  • AllisonMS
    Options
    So friendly, all of you! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Now that I've written about breast cancer, I'm getting all these breast-cancer pop-ups here on MFP -- disturbing to me, as I want to leave the world of lost eyelashes behind (one of the ads! I mean, who really cares that during chemo you lose your eyelashes? It's keeping you alive! At least, that's my take on things).

Lesson learned. No more cancer talk -- and happy to move on in my life!