Needing Some Support Tonight

Options
Hi! I've been on MFP since August 19, 2012. My SW was 167.8. Yesterday I weighed in at 146.2 - so just over 20lbs lost. I'm proud of myself for the number lost but also because for the first time in 10 years I've been able to fit into single digit sized jeans and slacks (8).

This is a little bit of a rant/request for positive comments/motivation/etc.

I started at 1310 calories and have been at 1200-1250 for the past month and a half. MOST nights I have been under 1200, however.

I got a new job and start next Monday and have been on "break" this week (last Friday was the last day of my old job). I changed MFP to put me at 1/2lb loss per week which sets my calories at about 1440 - my maintenance is 1760 or so in the past week. I figure that I've made good progress to this point (136 will put me in the "normal" weight category but I don't have an end 'goal' per se). I had set 149 as a goal for the end of the year, but I reached it before Thanksgiving. With the holidays coming and knowing that I will be eating out more than usual in the coming weeks I decided that if I can maintain until January 5th (when my family leaves town) I'd be okay with that.

(I want to point out that I weigh 147 with my digital scale, my "doctor's style" balance scale which is probably more accurate weighs me in at 143 - 4lbs less).

Then today happened. For the first time in a while (other than Thanksgiving when I didn't count calories at all) I have gone far over (1752). It's 7:30 and I'm not hungry but I also don't want to wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning with hunger pangs.

Logically I realize that I can eat a Lean cuisine or something equivalent at 250 calories and it wouldn't be devastating, but I see that red negative number on MFP and I stop myself. I'm ABOVE maintenance! It's really messing with my head.

What's funny is that before I started this lifestyle (as to not call it a diet) I didn't feel bad at the end of the day after eating. I didn't feel like I had an image disorder. Now? Now I feel like I do. Do I really look skinnier than I did 20lbs ago? I still look fat, though, don't I?

Anyway, I needed to get that out - I would appreciate any encouragement I could get! I hope I posted this in the right place!

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 20 pounds!

one splurge day here and there doesn't destroy your new weight. Just get back on the wagon with extra helpings of nutrient dense/calorie shy foods for most of the week. Think big spinach salad or vegan pea soup. in my opinion any frozen dinner is not really food and will only make you crave more real food 1/2 hour after you eat it.

best exercises for body image are yoga, balance bar, pilates etc that build muscle and flexibility together. Brazilian dance is another one to help balance your outer you with the inner you.

now that you've found you, never let you go.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    You said that before, you wouldn't feel bad about your eating habits, but now you are more mindful about what you eat, so it's natural that you're feeling this way. I struggle with letting those red numbers get to me too, and I've been at this since last January. There's no point in regretting what's sitting in your stomach, so you just have to move on and look forward to having a clean slate the next day :smile:

Also, for myself the best thing I have done for my body image is to lift weights. It's sort of like watching a Chia pet grow in that the transformation is slow but it's pretty satisfying to see my muscles becoming more defined every week, and being physically stronger than you were 1 month, 2 months ago is pretty empowering.