Treadmill Etiquette?

Options
So I have a question... I am new to running, and really new to running on a treadmill at the gym.

Anyway, I was running tonight, and another woman was running two treadmills down from me on the right. There were about 7 open treadmills to the left of me. Near the end of my run (while i'm panting and dripping sweat) a man came and started walking on the treadmill right between me and the other woman.

Is it poor gym etiquette to choose a treadmill right next to a person, when there are several not in use? I ask this because I notice that most people at my gym use every-other treadmill, unless they are having a conversation with the person next to them while they walk/jog.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I was just wondering! Be nice!

Replies

• Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will be nice.... :)

I have to agree. I think getting right in next to someone when there are plenty of machines available is poor etiquette. Like walking into a near empty cinema and sitting next to the only couple in there.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hate when people do that too...but some people have a favorite machine...and maybe that was his? lol. i do the same thing sometimes. i have a favorite elliptical and bike and i always try to use them no matter what.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hate this. When I run I am usually on the treadmill for an hour minimum. The gym I go to has 50 treadmills. Atleast once a week there can be more than half available, and of course someone (a complete stranger) will come and pick one right beside me. Very irritating.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    what about when most of the treadmills are taken...like every other one is already taken. Is it bad to go in-between two people. I feel like now that the new year is coming up, that may be a situation i "run" into. haha wasn't even planning on that pun!
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    In situations like this it wouldn't bother me so much as it's just a lack of choice and not lack of etiquette.

Nice dogs by the way.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have specific machines I like to use at the gym. A couple of the stationary bikes squeak, so even if it is beside someone, I get on the non-squeaky one. Ditto with the elliptical. But my gym's pretty small, and everyone avoids the squeaky stuff. We sort of group to the good machines.

If I was in a big gym with lots of equipment, then yes, it would bug me.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    In situations like this it wouldn't bother me so much as it's just a lack of choice and not lack of etiquette.

Nice dogs by the way.

Thanks! love my bullies! And thanks for the response. Your dogs are cute too!
  • morgaine108
    Options
    Sometimes I will pick a machine at the gym because I know that certain ones make an annoying squeaking noise....so I may purposely pass up some machines that are empty to get one that doesn't squeak.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill in my small gym at my condo and there is a lady who comes in sometimes and stands right behind me and huffs and puffs waiting for me to get off the treadmill. it is really awkward but i do admit, it makes me mad enough to add about 15-20 minutes onto my workout hahahah
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I feel the answer applies no matter where you are:

Whether its at the gym, in a restaurant (tables), restroom (stalls), outdoors (picnic / walking)

If there's plenty of space / equal things (in this case treadmills of the same model with no unique problems all having scenic view of the wall/tv/outdoors) you should go for the one that gives people space -- if there's 7 open, go to the other end. If its semi-crowded, every other. And if it is crowded, then its okay to take the one between 2 people
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    wth?? DUHH.. cos u hawt.. common sense:D
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care. Get on the treadmill you want, even if it happens to be next to me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just start crop dusting.
  • xklofx
    Options
    What if you really have to fart? Should you stop your workout to attempt to make it to the bathroom to let it rip? And come on don't act like this has never happened to you!!!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My preference on a treadmill depends on the location of the tv that is showing my preferred station. If I have to take the "in-between" machine so I can watch my favourite program, then so be it.

I think treadmills are quite different from a bus seat or movie theatre seat. There is enough distance between two treadmill for there be room for everyone.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    My preference on a treadmill depends on the location of the tv that is showing my preferred station. If I have to take the "in-between" machine so I can watch my favourite program, then so be it.

I think treadmills are quite different from a bus seat or movie theatre seat. There is enough distance between two treadmill for there be room for everyone.

That's actually a really good point that I never thought about!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think it's poor etiquette for sure.....
  • macncapn
    Options

Yerp, agreed. If I've decided to suffer through the agonizing monotony of a run on a treadmill, I'm going to do anything I can to reduce my boredom, including violating your 3 foot bubble.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It definitely is poor etiquette. Yeah, I wouldn't want a squeaky one..but..if you are in a large enough gym, I'm sure you can find one not right up next to someone that doesn't squeak..

I have to laugh though. This reminds me of the conversation guy friends would have about if there are a lot of urinals open, how awkward and rude it is for another guy to use the one right next to them.

*As for the favorite program thing - I tend to listen to music when I workout. Also, my preference is to just go home and watch tv. I do it there anyways...lol. Also, I'm kinda clutzy so me staring at the tube while running would just equal disaster.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What if you really have to fart? Should you stop your workout to attempt to make it to the bathroom to let it rip? And come on don't act like this has never happened to you!!!

No, you try to make your shoe do that rub and squeek noise to cover it, just hoping you don't judge wrong, foot grabbed under you, and in stumbling to stay upright you are farting the whole time since you were trying.