Low-no carb high protein vegetarian/vegan foods?

Options

Replies

• nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You're going to hate my advice, but when you give yourself all these limitations in your diet (high protein, low calorie, low carb, no meat), you are either sacrificing health or severely limiting your options.

If you want protein that isn't high calorie or high carb, eat meat.
    Beans are high in carbs.

Totally agree^^
    I'm with these two. There are no low carb, non-meat protein options, really, other than protein powders.

I've been a pescatarian for 19 years and this just isn't true. Go buy Litelife bacon or Fieldroast apple sage sausage (or many other varieties). Noosa or Chobani yogurts are great too.

Edit: If you are willing to be lacto-ovo, cook that stuff in butter--it is amaaaazing. And then you can do eggs too--or even egg whites. if you want to do veg for ethical reasons (like me) then source free range, humane certified, milk and eggs (I also make sure my chickens aren't de-beaked).
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    Seapoint Farms dry roasted edamame.

1/4 c (30 g) -- 130 cal 4.5 g fat (.5 sat), 0 chol, 130mg sodium 9 carbs, 7 fiber (2 net carbs) 1 g sugar, 14g protein 4% calcium 10% iron

And they are addictively delicious!

http://www.seapointfarms.com/dry-roasted-edamame.html

There are also vegan protein powders. And Hemp powder is pretty high in protein.

^^I second this

Also, seitan, tofu and quorn. You ca also make a protein shake with whey as a snack.

Edamame is lovely with just a touch of salt! You can get them in the shell, (great for snacking) or already shelled and ready to use in recipes.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Look at where your carbs are coming from and make better choices, if it's bread, cut some out or use carb-friendly ones.

Increase seitan, tofu, tempeh...ect
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Seitan, seitan, seitan. Try it if you haven't already. It's delicious!!! It can be prepared like meat and has a much better taste and texture than tofu. It has a more meat-like texture. I like to eat it prepared like a pulled pork sandwich... delicious! It only has 3 grams of carbs per serving (same as tofu) but MORE protein, LESS calories and LESS fat! It has 18 grams of protein per serving!

^^^Yes, yes and triple yes!

More "Yes, Yes , Yes's! And make it yourself instead of buying pre-made. It's so much less expensive, can be frozen, easy to make. I really can't say enough good about it.....love the stuff, and my carnivorous husband loves it too! Google to find basic prep instructions and lots of uses.
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    You're going to hate my advice, but when you give yourself all these limitations in your diet (high protein, low calorie, low carb, no meat), you are either sacrificing health or severely limiting your options.

Beans are high in carbs.

Totally agree^^
    I'm with these two. There are no low carb, non-meat protein options, really, other than protein powders.

I've been a pescatarian for 19 years and this just isn't true. Go buy Litelife bacon or Fieldroast apple sage sausage (or many other varieties). Noosa or Chobani yogurts are great too.

Edit: If you are willing to be lacto-ovo, cook that stuff in butter--it is amaaaazing. And then you can do eggs too--or even egg whites. if you want to do veg for ethical reasons (like me) then source free range, humane certified, milk and eggs (I also make sure my chickens aren't de-beaked).

Becel has a vegan butter. The calories and fat are (i think) really similar to their original margarine. It is softer, so it doesn't hold up as icing, but spreads super thin and holds up in every other recipe i've used it with. Cruelty free, buttery, convenient.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I make seitan once a week ( since I asked the same question and Sara suggested it.) Last week I made a marinade like one would put on chicken wings. It was a quarter cup of hot sauce, a quarter cup of lime juice, and three tbs of maple syrup. Fried it and baked it. So good. Also I have grinded it in my meat grinder, mixed it and fried it with BBQ sauce and put it on natchos. Mostly I just slice it and dry fry it with thyme or other spices. Now I'm going to go and read what everyone else put. I am sure there are lots of good ideas.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Seitan, tempeh, vegan meats in moderation, tofu, soy milk, edamame, TVP ( textured vegetable protein - a meat substitute). If you do shakes, there are plenty of vegan protein powders (many without soy too)
  • mmddwechanged
    Options
    Oh and tofu scramble with tumeric nutritional yeast and veggies. I put nutritional yeast on something almost every day to boost my protein intake.
  • mmddwechanged
    Options
    Feel free to go through my diary. I eat a variety but not much dairy or eggs.

I have never had quorn, I need to look that up!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Beans are high in carbs.

Totally agree^^

Becel has a vegan butter. The calories and fat are (i think) really similar to their original margarine. It is softer, so it doesn't hold up as icing, but spreads super thin and holds up in every other recipe i've used it with. Cruelty free, buttery, convenient.

I've tried that stuff...I just can't get into it. :noway: My butter is, however, humanely sourced and I make my own half the time (I just love the hell out of butter). The facon is good in olive oil toooooo....
  • mmddwechanged
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called 21 day vegan kickstart. Lots of ideas and recipes on there.
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called 21 day vegan kickstart. Lots of ideas and recipes on there.

It's free too. I can't say everything on it was great, but it did get me thinking when i tried it.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I never heard of seitan, I have to check up some recipes and some of the other nice vegetarian options mentiones.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Looks like a whole lot of nothing on advice for this! Yeah, nuts and seeds are high cal. I might go back to putting coconut oil in my green & sweet smoothies. It was my main source of cals when I was on a vegan diet. Was hoping for something a little bit more substantial or solid... but maybe that's where the carbs come in? I don't know.

I like Yves veggie good dogs- only 50 calories and 8g of protein. Also, extra firm tofu is versatile. Whey protein isolate powder is a great supplement for 30g of protein (Bluebonnet brand only has 110 calories). I do a log of "veggie meat" from the healthfood stores but you have to watch the sodium content on them.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I never heard of seitan, I have to check up some recipes and some of the other nice vegetarian options mentiones.

Seitan is yummy- my husband even likes it and he's a meat-a-holic!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yeah, avacados, nuts, etc. Are you against other dairy like real cream, butter, etc? Kerrygold butter is awesome. Sourced from grass fed cows. I would also look up some paleo food sites, you'd be surprised how much of the diet consists of plant based food and is just as strict as vegetarian diets when it comes to eating real natural foods. Try looking up recipes for the Whole30 diet too, it is another that still uses animal based food but doesn't just rely on meat to get the bulk of your energy. From some people that have tried it, even though they ate a little more carbs then normal they still got great weight results or helped bust through a weight plateau.
  • Jackaayy
    Jackaayy Posts: 1
    Options
    I recently started the Blogilaties 8 Week Bikini Diet Plan, which is helping me TREMENDOUSLY. Also, it is low carb, high protein! Also, instead of chicken, I substitute for cod or white fishes. It is about 1200, according to MFP. Nothing processed, just awesomeness. Also, a LOT of water to drink.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Protein Powders,Almonds,Sunflower Seeds,certain fruits I think Apricots or Bananas are a bit higher,Peanut Butter,Cottage Cheese if you eat cheese. I am not a vegetarian but have looked up what kinda snacks are higher in protein and these were a few of them. Beans are really good, Like a Veggie Chili would be a good thing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was hypoglycemic before I became vegetarian and then it went away. It's weird.
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have mentioned tofu. I love making lettuce wraps.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/spicy-tofu-lettuce-wraps/

Here is a recipe for one with 8 carbs and 5 grams of protein per serving. There are tons of recipes out there, and it is really hard to go wrong with these.