Eating at a deficit when you're feeling sick OK?

Options
I'm starting to feel sick. Not pukey, stomach flu sick where you don't have an appetite, but just general head cold symptoms - feeling tired and rundown, like my head is in a bubble, and irritated throat/lungs. I get more than enough sleep and I'm not particularly stressed, so it must be a bug of some kind. I've seen people say on the boards 'don't worry about tracking calories when you're sick' and I've been wondering why? Is it bad to be eating my usual deficit for weight loss when I'm feeling ill? Should I be eating at maintenance until I feel better?

MFP nutritionists, let me know!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel sick. Not pukey, stomach flu sick where you don't have an appetite, but just general head cold symptoms - feeling tired and rundown, like my head is in a bubble, and irritated throat/lungs. I get more than enough sleep and I'm not particularly stressed, so it must be a bug of some kind. I've seen people say on the boards 'don't worry about tracking calories when you're sick' and I've been wondering why? Is it bad to be eating my usual deficit for weight loss when I'm feeling ill? Should I be eating at maintenance until I feel better?

MFP nutritionists, let me know!
    Eat when you can. Focus on getting better and not tracking calories.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Oh I have no problem eating when I can, I rarely lose my appetite when sick unless it's a stomach flu thing. I am asking because I'm wondering if it is a good or bad idea to eat my usual intake for weight loss (1500-1700 net cals), or if I should be eating more/at maintenance.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Oh I have no problem eating when I can, I rarely lose my appetite when sick unless it's a stomach flu thing. I am asking because I'm wondering if it is a good or bad idea to eat my usual intake for weight loss (1500-1700 net cals), or if I should be eating more/at maintenance.
    And I am saying you're stressing over something that is moot. Just focus on getting better, relax, and eat when you're hungry.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I'm not stressing, just asking a question. Last time I got sick, it lasted 7 weeks. I'm not going to stop tracking what I eat for 7 weeks.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I'm not stressing, just asking a question. Last time I got sick, it lasted 7 weeks. I'm not going to stop tracking what I eat for 7 weeks.
    Well yeah, 7 weeks is something serious.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Jesus, that's a long time! Were you eating a deficit when you were sick and dragged it out?

When you're ill, just stop all physical activity and try to eat when you feel you need it. My Gran used to say "feed a cold and starve a fever" and I think that's pretty good advice.

Often people try to keep living on reduced calories or rush back to training too soon. The end result is normally the same: it depresses your immune system and something that you would have been over in a couple of days drags out to weeks or (if you're really unlucky) months....
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Jesus, that's a long time! Were you eating a deficit when you were sick and dragged it out?
    It was a hell of a super bug, I'd never been sick for that long in my life, my cough lasted at least 2.5 months. This was actually just before I changed my lifestyle, so I was overeating not the healthiest of food, a smoker, and very, very sedentary.
    When you're ill, just stop all physical activity and try to eat when you feel you need it. My Gran used to say "feed a cold and starve a fever" and I think that's pretty good advice.

Often people try to keep living on reduced calories or rush back to training too soon. The end result is normally the same: it depresses your immune system and something that you would have been over in a couple of days drags out to weeks or (if you're really unlucky) months....

Never heard that saying before, but it makes sense. I'm hoping it's gone in a couple of days this time, thanks :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It was a hell of a super bug, I'd never been sick for that long in my life, my cough lasted at least 2.5 months. This was actually just before I changed my lifestyle, so I was overeating not the healthiest of food, a smoker, and very, very sedentary.

Well, hopefully your immune system is a bit more kickass now!
    I'm hoping it's gone in a couple of days this time, thanks :)

Yeah, totally! Just switch off the fitness thing for a couple of days.... you'll recover more quickly.