Losing motivation. Easier to just give up.

Options
So i've been boxing..well trying these intense conditioning power hour classes for that combined cardio and strength training at the same time effect jillian michales always boasts about doing....and I have no stamina or strength it's so discouraging I just want to stop and cry.

Husband and I joined a boxing club recently  and while he is great at it and can keep up and is getting results..I just finished my 2nd class and it's just too damn hard.  I had abdominal/pelvic surgery a fe weeks ago but I'm cleare to exercise by the doctor but I keep using the recovery from that as a crutch. An excuse. My incisions are healed, they won't burst open or anything...but today I couldn't do any flippin an work because of the stupid inside pain area for why they did the surgery in the first place.  Last time I was *****ing about my shoulder hurting because I messed it up when I was on swim team...and every time I do these intense workouts the lame excuse of my "sports induced asthma" keeps popping up...and I keep feeling the need to express all my excuses to someone..well husband is the only one I know there so I annoy him. Gah I just hate being THAT GIRL who is so out of shape that I'm slowest, and cants keep up with all the mountain climbers and burpies like the other girls who are ripped and like 110lbs. It really makes me feel like that is just a dream. It's never been me..maybe close but that was a long time ago..but I feel and fear it never will be even though it's one of the things I want most for myself and for my family. I want my health back so I'm not always the one with all the medical and health problems. I'm so sick of doctors offices and hospitals and surgeries.. I just want to be healthy and fit, and stick to that lifestyle so I can live a long and healthy life with my family...

But we use food for everything emotional. To celebrate. To mourn. To comfort us. For cheering up. For rewarding and treating ourselves.

Cravings and the need to satisfy the immediate always win over my week will power.

Ugh 

There is just so much work ahead of me and I know "oh you have to start somewhere" well starting really sucks. It's so much easier to just give up and go eat some baked good or whtver I'm craving.

But what is easy is not always wht is right/good/health.

This is so damn hard.  

Replies

• chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with these super intense classes, I would just stop. There's absolutely no need to do those to lose weight. People have lost weight with no exercise and/or brisk walking. Do something that you enjoy and/or are good at. Try out a few of the classes at the gym and a few of the machines until you find one that you like.

I would try focusing mostly on your calories and eating healthy for now - this is where the majority of the weight is going to come off.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    do everything at your pace and quit the damn classes! Tell your hubby u will be back after a much needed break. Keep on your calorie count just pace yourself for your ability. Right now u have a sucky give up attitude so put YOUR abilities into motion and go for it. As time passes, you will be able to do more. Remember how lame you'd be to give up on everything........
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry you're having a tough time.

keep in mind that since this is a lifestyle change, you're probably changing a lot of habits at once which can take a lot of time.

if you like boxing but hate the fact that you have to do them in a group situation, how about looking into getting a PT who can work with just you?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Unless you're training for a fight or something, why keep doing boxing if you hate it? There's millions of exercises out there, find something you DO enjoy. The best exercise in the world is useless if you don't do it (because you hate it).
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree with chasingpavement. Do something that you can enjoy, and that doesn't have such a high impact. I tried kickboxing classes...and while I felt stronger, and kind of cool doing it :tongue: i really just couldn't keep up, and one work out would set me back like a week physically because, well, long story short, i have a weird body/chemistry that resulted from a chronic illness I had for a year, which turned into chronic fatigue syndrome.

While you are still recovering internally, and those muscles are getting more used to movement and building, maybe you should do stuff like water aerobics? zumba? pilates? idk, just some suggestions.

I hope you don't give up altogether. I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to do crossfit training, and it just looks like too much for me, and I know that I wouldn't be comfy in a class doing it, and my competitive side would want to push me harder than I should push and end up in trouble. So, I am doing Jillian Michaels DVDs in my room at my own house. :) And Leslie Sansone walk away the lbs dvds.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Find some exercise that you like and that you can keep up with and try this again in the future when you are more confident and in better shape. You have to find what you like to do or you will fail. This is for life after all!!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others. You need to find something you can do comfortably and will enjoy, once you're in a better place mentally then you could try the boxing again with your hubby and you may enjoy it, but for now you need to think of yourself and do what will make you happy.

Have you tried swimming? That's a really good exercise, is gentle on the body but burns a whole bunch of calories in just 30 minutes. Another way I enjoy exercising is doing the 'Just Dance' on the Wii with my kids. It doesn't feel like exercise but I put on my HRM and its amazing how many calories I can burn doing that x
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I was once full of excuses. I also got discouraged when I came in dead last or looked around and it seemed I was the only one struggling. The little voice in my head said well... your last anyways so why push yourself.... I felt this way until I stopped caring if I was last. When I decided I was doing it for me. It is hard. And though right now it doesn't seem like it some day you will look back and say.... I did it! And it was worth it. Find something you like. Leave Jillian alone **the b!#@^ annoys me and makes me start my self sabotaging all over again. So what if you are last? So what if you struggle. Just don't give up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    So i've been boxing..well trying these intense conditioning power hour classes for that combined cardio and strength training at the same time effect jillian michales always boasts about doing....and I have no stamina or strength it's so discouraging I just want to stop and cry.

Husband and I joined a boxing club recently  and while he is great at it and can keep up and is getting results..I just finished my 2nd class and it's just too damn hard.  I had abdominal/pelvic surgery a fe weeks ago but I'm cleare to exercise by the doctor but I keep using the recovery from that as a crutch. An excuse. My incisions are healed, they won't burst open or anything...but today I couldn't do any flippin an work because of the stupid inside pain area for why they did the surgery in the first place.  Last time I was *****ing about my shoulder hurting because I messed it up when I was on swim team...and every time I do these intense workouts the lame excuse of my "sports induced asthma" keeps popping up...and I keep feeling the need to express all my excuses to someone..well husband is the only one I know there so I annoy him. Gah I just hate being THAT GIRL who is so out of shape that I'm slowest, and cants keep up with all the mountain climbers and burpies like the other girls who are ripped and like 110lbs. It really makes me feel like that is just a dream. It's never been me..maybe close but that was a long time ago..but I feel and fear it never will be even though it's one of the things I want most for myself and for my family. I want my health back so I'm not always the one with all the medical and health problems. I'm so sick of doctors offices and hospitals and surgeries.. I just want to be healthy and fit, and stick to that lifestyle so I can live a long and healthy life with my family...

But we use food for everything emotional. To celebrate. To mourn. To comfort us. For cheering up. For rewarding and treating ourselves.

Cravings and the need to satisfy the immediate always win over my week will power.

Ugh 

There is just so much work ahead of me and I know "oh you have to start somewhere" well starting really sucks. It's so much easier to just give up and go eat some baked good or whtver I'm craving.

This is so damn hard.  
    Trust me, as an instructor of k-boxing it will take more than just 2 classes to get into fit shape. Do it for 12 classes. Every member that I've had do it, made it and was in much, much better condition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you want to hear. That it's ok to give up and quit? Ok then, go ahead. No one ever said it would be easy. The question is how bad do you want it?
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Why go to a class? Why not go to a gym and use their gym equipment.... I try to go a little further on the elliptical/bike/rower/treadmill each week... I also try to add more weights to at least one of the resistance machines each week to show to myself I am progressing.
    I only do one class and that is aqua-aerobics, and that is such a laugh that you dont realise just how hard the teacher is pushing you, until the next day :)

Good luck to you!
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started kickboxing 5 months ago, 65 pounds overweight and not having exercised in a decade. The first week was brutal, and I sucked. My whole body ached constantly for the first two months... but even though I could only make it to the gym a couple days a week at first, I could feel my body improving by the day. Soon I was yearning to be kickboxing every time I took a rest day. Now I go to the gym every day it's open, and my trainers are really excited by my progress, both in my technical aptitude and my physical appearance. If you enjoy boxing, it's worth pushing through the initial pain. You will get better quickly, and then it's really fun. You could become addicted!
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo most of the other sentiments here and say if you truly don't enjoy it, don't go. I started kickboxing in June of this year - I was in horrible shape when I started, and I was really terrible and slow with little stamina. But I still loved it. It just clicked for me, and I knew I would get stronger with time. I'm still kickboxing 2-3 times a week (along with running), and I rock those classes now but they still kick my butt. They are meant to be super intense - I can do everything and run through a class without breaks, but it's still not an easy workout. So don't quit going because you're slow and your endurance isn't great - those will improve immensely with time. If you don't enjoy it at all, though, find something that you do like to do, and rock that. It really doesn't matter what you're doing, as long as you're doing something. Don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • Chan1122
    Chan1122 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    While I can appreciate your desire to try this boxing thing out right now its too much. Its not good for your hubby because he should be using this class as a destresser instead he probably is concerned about you. Two its not good for you because instead of feeling encouraged by this class you feel overwhelming discouraged. If this boxing gym doesn't not offer 30 minute classes at a lower intensity then 86 this boxing club for now. Not your husband but you.

My recommendations for you. Before you committ money to another exercise program try it out first. Most gyms allow you to go free 3 times before you have to join. If you join some place like the Y you will have a variety of classes available to you. Possibly hula hooping, hip hop aerobics, latin dance,zumba, pilates, belly dancing and water aerobics. This is just a few of the classes. With you having a shoulder injury you can do a modified version of certain exercises. If you don't like the Y...then a smaller gym. I would highly recommend you try a beginner level yoga class. This class is good for the mind and body.

It is easier to give up but you never want to give up on yourself. Pray...ask for strength...ask for help from family and friends. If you can't get it from them consider programs like weight watchers. Weight watchers helps to tackle a lot of the emotional issues people have with eating. Committ to do something for 21 days straight. It takes about this long to establish a habit. You will be suprised at how much easier some of the hard stuff feels.

I'm sending you a friend request. We gonna get your mind right going into 2013.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    So is the problem that it's hard, or that it hurts due to your surgery? If it's the surgery, do something less intense in the meantime. If it's just that you hate being the n00b of the class, then I'd encourage you to wait it out. When I started doing martial arts, I was the only girl in the class, I had no upper body strength, and I could barely survive the warm up! Six months later, I got my first belt. A year later, I miss being the new girl because I learned so much faster when every single person could kick my butt easily.
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    The hardest thing for me would be to just give up.
    To return to overeating.
    To regain the weight I have lost.
    To have to ask my 10 year old for help with putting on my socks.
    To have to use a female bike again. (I like my old mountain bike)
    To have to take paracetamol before I go for a walk.
    To miss the bus because I could not run.
    I could go on and on.
    I dont BOX
    I dont SPEND HOURS IN THE GYM
    I WALK,CYCLE,SWIM perhaps 3 or 4 times a week.
    I work from the house and in the house (cook clean iron fix etc.)
    AND I LOSE WEIGHT
    What motivation do you need ?
    Do you want to die young ?
    I want to live forever
  • candirose69
    Options
    Hey I hear ya hun!!!
    i've been doing this for over 3 months, am seeing results (have lost 10kgs) am slightly fitter ect and its STILL hard, and i think i've come to realise it is ALWAYS going to be hard for me...There is ALWAYS gonna be another excuse for me, i am always gonna have the cake over the fruit!!!

People at work say that I'm so healthy and doing so well and make such good choices and i think they believe its easy for me. its not!!! It takes everything in me to say no to the coffee and biscuits and lollies they are having...absolutely EVERYTHING!!!

Noone said it would be easy but man it's so worth it :) I've spent my life of denying myself and feeling guilty about what I've eaten and being the chubby chick. But now i have lost a substantial amount, i feel like its actually achievable.

Maybe try starting with a small goal. I've hated physical activity my WHOLE life. so i made a promise to myself that I would go to gym 3 times a week for 5 weeks...tbh the first 2 weeks sucked, i felt like the fat chick, i felt like everyone was watching me and i felt like i was totally uncoordinated but after 5 weeks, it became habit...i still dont love the gym but its habit :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Ugh 

This is so damn hard.  

it IS hard. I have been there.

When i started at the gym in February I was 228 lbs of flubber. I had a big ol belly that looked like a saggy butt. 30 minutes on the treadmill ( at like 2.5mph) had me dripping in sweat and stumbling. About 6 weeks in, I was able to do 60 minutes...but I was still a sweaty mess.

I looked a little like this ( this is from 3 years ago...)
    8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I started doing a little strength training, adding a few new machines as I got up the nerve. some time over the summer, I stopped sweating on the treadmill ( the weight machines DO make me sweat) 2 months ago I started using the plate loaded leg press, a month ago I started using the smith machine to squat, and a few weeks ago I started using dumbbells to do some chest exercises.

Now, I look like this

8211731868_5394684d1d_q.jpg
    IMG00856-20121123-0837 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Yesterday I did a 100# barbell squat. I almost cried. I never would have been able to do it if I had quit in February when my legs hurt.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    This is an issue I see happening quite often to those that are returning to 'fitness' or new to it. Yes, weight loss is more successful if you actually change your lifestyle but a 'lifestyle change' does NOT have to mean.. change everything all at once, cut calories, join a gym, kill yourself with classes, lift weights all at once (or even at all).

When you try to change too many things too fast it can be overwhelming and it's really not needed when you are just starting. You CAN lose weight with just changing little things, start with your calories. Just work on getting them under control before you add things. Yes it's great to exercise but I will tell you that I have lost just about every single pound so far NOT being a part of any gym - the only exercise I did was walk 30 min 5 days / week. Stop trying to change everything all at once, it will just frustrate you and make you want to quite because it's "too hard". Losing weight is NOT hard when you are just starting with lots to lose..seriously, just get your calories worked out, make little changes in your diet, have 1 sweet instead of 2, switch to water instead of soda or juice, don't starve yourself..record everything and then look for places you can improve.

When you get your calories under control THEN you can start adding more exercise, start with some easier things, walking is great. Don't just jump into a super high energy / effort class that requires things you haven't developed yet and expect it not to be hard - you're just setting yourself up for failure that way. DO things you can do, modify the moves if you can and go at your own pace. Baby steps..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    wow, how about not killing yourself while you're body is still trying to heal?
    I lost weight walking 20 minutes a day.