tips for toning my stomach (apart from situps)

Options
Hi, I have that 'saggy stomach' after having baby and even tho ive lost some weight it still hangs :(.
I was wondering if theres anything I can do (or purchase) to help me out.
I have a bad back at the moment so sit ups is a no.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Planks are good but may be a pain on your back if you do them in a certain way. If you look on BodyBuilding.com there are a lot of different exercises, including ones that can help you get away from your back. The app is really good as you can view all the exercises and select the muscle group you'd like to work on!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Planks are good but may be a pain on your back if you do them in a certain way. If you look on BodyBuilding.com there are a lot of different exercises, including ones that can help you get away from your back. The app is really good as you can view all the exercises and select the muscle group you'd like to work on!
    Diet>planks
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    maybe some core exercises instead of sit ups may help. incorporate healthy eats and some cardio with it and hopefully will help ya.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Planks and plank variations. There's also reverse crunches and crunches. Those are not as bad as sit-ups.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    30 day shred!!!!! I have reduced my waist measurement by 3 inches in just 11 days as my 'sag' is visibly disappearing on a daily basis.

There are 3 levels and you do each for 10 days. Sessions only last for 20 mins. Its hard yes, but its a case of start, work out big time for 20 mins solid and out.

You can either get the DVD or its on YouTube for free, which is how I do it.

There is also a 30 ds challenge group on the forums where people are at different stages. This keeps you on track and stops you giving up.

Good luck

Sorry, edited as I just saw your last sentence about your back. I have problem with some of the cardio parts due to my knees so I do something I can do during that part. You can change it about as you wish, but there are lots of exercises I think may help. Just view it on YouTube to see if you could manage it.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest deadlifts, weighted squats etc as they are great to build up your core..but I see you have a bad back..I do too but I can manage theses?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing. I had two c-sections, one vertical incision and one horizontal, so my stomach is just crazy looking. Definitely continue to maintain a calorie deficit and be patient. Adding strength training will help too.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Diet is the biggest factor - planks help.

I'm in no way promoting a low carb lifestyle, but in the past I've noticed when I'm not eating a ton of carbs (keeping it around 90 or 100 a day), my mid-section isn't as flabby. When I cut down on the alcohol consumption, when I back away from the candy, cookies, ice cream and chocolate and eat more protein. Now, I'm not saying it's fun or easy, but it helps. Or at least it does me anyway.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Another vote for planks/even push ups, eating at a deficit, eating good proteins

And I like Russian Twists with small weights.
    Gonna start actually weight lifting in January .
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with my back too, some days quite badly. So, I started with back excercises first. Note here, your form is more important than amount of repetitions or level of difficulty. You can start off with a very simple excercise, lightly, just make sure your posture is good! I suggest asking someone at the gym or even going to the physiotherapist to help with this.

Then, once your back muscles are strong enough to support your spine properly you'll notice that the back pains get much better gradually! This means you can start with "traditional" tummy excercises. However, I always still make a point of doing enough back training to keep the muscles strong and the pain gone. Also, when you're training your back, you are usually also training your lateral stomach muscles.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back too and my physical therapist has me do walking lunges while holding a medicine ball with my arms straight out in front of me and twist to each side as I lunge. It really helps with my core.

Otherwise you can try pilates (a lot of the moves can be modified to ease tension on the back.

As many others have mentioned, a good diet will help as well. Although I haven't had any children yet, I carry all (and I literally mean ALL) of my excess weight in my stomach and my back and doing cardio (elliptical to help the back as well) an watching what I eat (especially eating less sodium and more fiber) really seems to help me with the tummy.

Good luck! I know how challenging it can be to lose the weight in that part of the body!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Diet>planks

Squats > ANYTHING
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    great post, was interested in this myself.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ... cut down on the alcohol consumption, when I back away from the candy, cookies, ice cream and chocolate and eat more protein. Now, I'm not saying it's fun or easy, but it helps. Or at least it does me anyway.

Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease and that the living would envy the dead.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I got rid of my muffin top and toned my abs with nothing but diet, cardio, planks, and push ups.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i have tried plans but I feel like i am going to fall on my face:noway:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    i have tried plans but I feel like i am going to fall on my face:noway:
    Well, they say no plan survives first contact so.......
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have had back problems as well (had spinal surgery to correct) and found that the best most effective core strengthing was Pilates. Works wonders and never caused me any pain.

Good Luck!
  • intend2
    Options
    I've been doing Tabata abs (learned it in my kickboxing class) -- also ZUMBA - keep your abs tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSN0RTGzHmM