are body fat scales at the gym accurate?

Options
Hi, once a month i weigh in on the scales at the gym, the ones where you stand on it and hold on to the handles for it to calculate BMI and body fat percentage, and does height and weight then prints a ticket. Is this an accurate way of knowing my body fat? Thanks

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi, once a month i weigh in on the scales at the gym, the ones where you stand on it and hold on to the handles for it to calculate BMI and body fat percentage, and does height and weight then prints a ticket. Is this an accurate way of knowing my body fat? Thanks
    They are not accurate. However, they are better than nothing.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agreed, they may not be accurate, but if you keep using the same ones you should see more accurate results in terms of whats lost. They work my measuring electrical resistance in your body, (i may not be correct) but i have always thought, if your dehydrated or such, then this would skew the results.

Callipers are the best cost effective way imo, warrior digital callipers are the way to go. Why are you trying to find out your bodyfat %? If its just to track results, mirror / photos are the best method.
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agreed, they may not be accurate, but if you keep using the same ones you should see more accurate results in terms of whats lost.

Callipers are the best cost effective way imo, warrior digital callipers are the way to go. Why are you trying to find out your bodyfat %? If its just to track results, mirror / photos are the best method.

its to work out my lean body mass.