feeling too ill to eat - suggestions?

Options
For various emotional reasons that I won't get into, I just can't bring myself to eat much these past few days. Every bite feels like a chore and once it's in my belly it feels like lead. I know eating a very low-cal diet (under 600 calories/day*) isn't good for me, and hopefully I will snap out of it soon.

so, tell me oh gurus of the MFP message boards,
for how long can I eat that way until I make myself sick?
suggestions for calorie and nutrient dense foods that don't require much work to prepare or even chew.

*just wanna make it clear this isn't any kind of behavioral "taking control" to compensate for my problems, I just don't want to eat. anything. not even chocolate. I'm ok with getting the calories, but the process of eating right now, feels difficult and uncomfortable.

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You'll probably drop a lot of weight if you keep this up, and not fat either, lean muscle tissue more likely, especially from the stomach and intestinal walls.
    Try this: Fast for 24 hours. You will want to eat after that, trust me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try drinking your calories?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Make soups of your favourite vegetables or even cook a meal and put it through the blender to make it easier to eat. But eat is what you have to do. You have the strenght in there somewhere :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It will pass. Let your body guide you. Don't force yourself, you will feel hunger when your body it ready. A few days of eating too little will not do any real damage just like a few days of eating too much won't either. You will feel hungry again.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You'll probably drop a lot of weight if you keep this up, and not fat either, lean muscle tissue more likely, especially from the stomach and intestinal walls.
    Try this: Fast for 24 hours. You will want to eat after that, trust me.

yes im quite aware of the consequences, which is why I posted to ask about it in the first place. You may have noticed that I didn't ask about the result of the behavior, I asked for help.
    As for your suggestion of fasting, I've had to push myself to get those 600 calories a day in, so, trust ME, that's not a solution.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    try drinking your calories?

yeah milk has been about half my calories. anything else nutritious that i can drink that isn't a sugary chocolaty meal replacement thing? and doesn't require shopping, or cooking, lol or blendering?

I know, I'm being difficult.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Could you have some of those drinks you can have when poorly? My son wasn't allowed proper food earlier this year ( due to surgery) and I got him Complan drinks? They do soups as well as shakes and they are for people who are not up to eating?

Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Good quality bread dipped in olive oil. Peanut butter and bananas on toast.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Could you have some of those drinks you can have when poorly? My son wasn't allowed proper food earlier this year ( due to surgery) and I got him Complan drinks? They do soups as well as shakes and they are for people who are not up to eating?

Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:

that looks like something doable... but It seems to be a UK product, I'm in the states, I wonder if there is an equivalent.
    thanks.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Good quality bread dipped in olive oil. Peanut butter and bananas on toast.

i tried to do peanut butter last night, and before i even opened the package, the thought of the effort it takes to keep the PB from sticking to the roof of my mouth stopped me. ridiculous, i know.

I think I am afraid of "forcing" myself to eat, because in my history I would eat anything at any time, and now that I have my intake under control, the idea of eating when I don't want to feels wrong and bad.
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yogurt always sits alright for me when I'm not feeling well. Maybe go for a full-fat greek yogurt like Fage Total for some nutrition density. You can mix in jam or honey or whatever if you want something sweeter. Or how about tomato soup with cottage cheese? That's slurpable. Scrambled eggs are another mild, low effort food.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Yogurt always sits alright for me when I'm not feeling well. Maybe go for a full-fat greek yogurt like Fage Total for some nutrition density. You can mix in jam or honey or whatever if you want something sweeter. Or how about tomato soup with cottage cheese? That's slurpable. Scrambled eggs are another mild, low effort food.

oh i actually have all those things in the house. eggs are a great idea, my brain is so distracted right now (not to mention probably energy deprived) that i didn't even think of it. thanks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

oh i actually have all those things in the house. eggs are a great idea, my brain is so distracted right now (not to mention probably energy deprived) that i didn't even think of it. thanks.

yep, i second the eggs. or an omlette, lots of cheese for the calories? mashed potato with real butter?

if you are eating so little a few days of quantity over quality would probably help... if there is any sort of takeaway or junk food that you usually like, maybe give it a go?

i dont mean to laugh, but i loved your comment about the peanut butter being too much effort because it sticks to your mouth... so true!

the other thing i would suggest - i am sure you are doing this anyway, but if you can try and sort out the problems that you have -or at least make them more manageable then maybe you will get your appetite back? i know thats very easy fo rme to say though.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    First, if you haven't already seen a doctor, that would be a good start. She may be able to help you find a way to get a healthy amount of calories in somehow, and if you just can't up your calories, the doctor can at least monitor your nutrient levels and keep you as healthy as possible until the storm has finally passed. Seeing a therapist for emotional issues that are so intense that they're affecting your eating this strongly would also be a good idea, if you're open to that. Your doctor can refer you.

Second, the US version of the liquid complete nutrition drink is Ensure, and you can usually find it in pharmacies and larger grocery stores. Many years ago, I worked in a facility where I helped care for some women who were physically unable to eat and had to be fed through tubes inserted into their GI tract. Ensure was what we poured into their tubes.

Finally, find a few minutes each day, several times a day, to find a way to set aside whatever emotional struggles are haunting you right now. Take the time to nurture yourself, notice something beautiful you pass by every day but don't usually really see, do something creative, take a bubble bath -- whatever gives you a mini-vacation from your troubles. And when they come crowding in anyway, tell them you'll pay attention to them again in ten minutes. With practice, you can develop the ability to bargain with yourself and set aside times where no worries can infringe, and then later you can pay complete attention to those emotions and not avoid them. This can give you a sense of balance and remind you that no matter what is going on, it's ok to enjoy yourself here and there throughout the day, and keeps the emotional crises from swallowing everything.

Good luck, and remember to find ways to take care of yourself in ways that have nothing to do with food. The more you do, the more you might eventually find eating becoming less of a chore. Be patient with yourself, though... when strong forces are at work in your mind and emotions, give yourself time. Understanding and changes tend to come slowly, but something tells me you'll pull through!
  • Tamefearnua
    Options

for how long can I eat that way until I make myself sick?
    Not sick
    DEAD
    not so long
  • elyelyse
    Options
    regarding the issue of what's bothering me, its just something that just made me feel awful, and i know it's going to get easier, just right now I'm having a tough time with it and that is manifesting itself as loss of appetite, which, I won't lie, is easier emotionally than my previous tendency to pig out which left me feeling worse.

that's why my question regarding how long can I go that way before its unhealthy. i'm hoping this is very temporary.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I find broths easy to eat. Tipping my hat to chanukah, I'll suggest chicken soup but you'll have to address the underlying issues. Sorry you're not doing well.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    have you tried buying some Ensure high protein drinks? they were one of the few things my husband was able to have when he had chemo.