best thing to eat after cardio workout?

Options
I've heard that you are supposed to eat a little something directly after a workout. I've heard protein, and then I've heard carbs. Does it matter? Which is better? Why?

Replies

• ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The Today show actually did a special on this a couple of months ago and the trainers said the chocolate milk pre-made with 2% milk had the best ratio of carbs and protein for post workout. For example, shamrock farms individual 2% chocolate milk would work.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I workout.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    protien shake is always good after any workout
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm at work as we speak, in a gym, and there is an article on the wall about drinking chocolate milk after a work out, and sometimes I do that. Aside from what ericaquin stated, it says on the article that it's better compared to having drinks like gatorade or special fitness waters because it has electrolites, carbs AND protein which other drinks don't. It will also make you feel full and it tastes good so I would try that if you are interested.
  • nroesler
    Options
    The Today show actually did a special on this a couple of months ago and the trainers said the chocolate milk pre-made with 2% milk had the best ratio of carbs and protein for post workout. For example, shamrock farms individual 2% chocolate milk would work.

I agree with this. In a Fitness and Nutrition class I took we were told the same thing. And it's delicious! Cottage cheese can work too, depending on the fat content.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I usually work out after work and just eat dinner after work. I used to have a personal trainer and he just said to eat within 30 minutes of working out. I would caution the use of sports drinks, etc. Because while they do have electrolytes, etc. They also have High Fructose Corn Syrup and other added chemicals that you do not need.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! I ended up having a banana and a small glass of chocolate milk. Probably shouldn't have done the banana, but figured one day wouldn't hurt me, and is better than my usual eating nothing at all for hours afterward.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I like to have a latte after I work out. The protein in the milk is good for me, and the caffeine seems to keep me from crashing afterwards. Not sure if this would be scientifically recommended, but it works for me! :)