Powdered coffee creamer substitutes

Options
Looking for some ideas for healthy powdered coffee creamer. I'm making healthy or healthier snacks for gifts this year (trying desperately to get in the spirit of things). I'm working on an instant hot chocolate recipe...one without sweeteners so that a person can adjust the sweetness and the type of sweetener themselves. Problem is, most coffee creamers have hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated stuff in it which means trans fats. I know I can leave it out all together as a choice, but would really like to keep the creaminess it adds to the instant cocoa.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Use dry milk powder instead. You will likely have to adjust proportions for the creaminess factor, but generally the ingredients are dry milk and maybe some added vitamins. I use it in baking sometimes and can find it at regular grocery stores.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dry milk suggestion.

I've used it many times before. However, with the amount you wold be using powdered creamer wouldn't be too bad to include.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    A substitute for a substitute.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am going to use the non fat dry milk in with the instant hot chocolate mix. Creamer adds an extra creaminess to the mix I think (I used to add it to my own packet kind until I read the ingredients). Thanks for the feedback!