Is Title Boxing good for building muscle?

Options
So I've been going to Title for about a year. While I was training for a half, I was going 2x/week but now I go 4x. It's one of the best workouts I've had and I absolutely love it. But is it a good enough workout if I'm concentrating on building muscle instead of losing weight? While it is a lot of cardio, there is strength training but I'm just not sure if it's enough. I'd especially love to hear from people who actually go there. Thanks!!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it wouldn't hurt to supplement your training with good old fashioned weight lifting.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Scored a 12 class punch card for the Title Boxing here. It's great cardio. The instructor usually throws some push-ups in, but doing 3 sets of push-ups isn't going to do much if anything for muscle gain. If you want to gain strength/muscle, lift weights heavy.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Depending on your starting point, it might build some, but "what might work" isn't the same thing as "what works best."
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Depending on your starting point, it might build some, but "what might work" isn't the same thing as "what works best."

And if you have been doing it for a year already, you have probably reached the end of the "might work" stage and gotten to the "not anymore" stage
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

And if you have been doing it for a year already, you have probably reached the end of the "might work" stage and gotten to the "not anymore" stage

^Good point
  • lnettles87
    lnettles87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also go to Title and love it! Like most of the previous posts I think that it's a great cardio workout with a little strength benefit. To supplement my strength training, I've started to incorporate the You are Your Own Gym program 3 days a week and have noticed a big difference! Hope that helps. :)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I box 6 days a week at a traditional boxing gym, and we do about 30 minutes of squats, burpees, abs, pushups and the like per 90 minute session, plus shadow boxing with weights and heavy bag. I have put on a lot of muscle just with this, but everyone is different. If you have been going for a year, and you want more muscle than you've put on in that time, you probably need to do more or push harder by doing more difficult variations of whatever you are doing now.

I think boxing doesn't need to be supplemented with anything else because it is the most demanding full body workout, and it requires bursts of strength and speed but also stamina, but you really can't auto pilot, and a boxing "themed" cardio class is not the same as boxing. If your boxing gym isn't incorporating a good bit of strength into your workouts, and it isn't still pushing you after a year, find another gym.
  • bren3345
    bren3345 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, I've been going for a year and while I haven't seen as much change as I'd like, I have noticed a definite change in my arms and back as well as my overall arm strength (which is awesome for a 120 5'1 female like me!) But like I said, I have started going twice as much and I also switched locations recently and am much happier with these trainers.

It is a fitness class which I know is much different than a actual boxing class. I hope to work up to that one day! But I do feel like I am getting in strength training in addition to the cardio. But a few of you are right...it might not be what works best for me as far as building muscle goes and it definitely wouldn't hurt to try actually lifting weights.
  • mbeez99
    mbeez99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging bren3345 because I just joined Title last week and am loving it so far! Have you lost weight? Thats my main goal but as far as weight lifting, I noticed at my Title gym they have all kinds of machines and weights that are available for us to use so thats a good thing! At least you dont have to join yet another gym ya know!