Lifting and dieting

Options
Ok so for the past month and a half i have been dieting and lifting, but not too hardcore when it comes to lifting just high reps low weights to get cut. I have been stuck at 175lb for the past 2 1/2 weeks!! A friend suggested that the muscle that I am building is affecting the weight, but I still will slim down but build muscle at the same time. As I said I am new to this whole dieting thing and my goal is 165lb and with a toned body.. Am i on the right track or doing something wrong??

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i would like to know this too! i swear there was some threads on here about cutting calories and weight lifting....something about

you cannot gain muscle while cutting calories. i would love some input on this!! just started lifting and my arms are like jello!!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to loose so it's going to be very slow. I would judge myself on how I improve with lifting. I would also do about 3-4 days of cardio.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    nemesisent.
    Some exercise programs want you to lift, and the next day do cardio.
    Some say you can't build muscle while losing fat. To build muscle your body needs to have extra calories.

FYI,
    You will not get big muscles fast. it takes a long time, and I've read maybe an inch a year of muscle on a bicep for example.
    This goes for the women too. Alot of women don't want to lift weights because they will become huge. Just not true.
    You want to get toned, strength training, weights.

There's been differences of doing higher reps, lower weight.
    IMO, that doesn't exercise the muscles as much as lower reps but heavier weight.
    Tony Horton (P90, P90x) suggests using higher weights and lower reps if needed.
    If your doing 3 sets of 20 of 20 lbs for example, change it to 3 sets of 10 or 8 at 25 or 30lbs.

That's the exercise/strength part.
    Now the "diet" or lifestyle change as alot of us call it on here.
    Calories make a big difference, how many calories are you having , what is the breakup of it, Carbs, protein, fat.
    Alot of people "think" they're on a "diet" or eating healthy, only to be eating foods that are hidden with lots of sugar and/or sodium.

Hope this helps.