Should you eat even if you are not hungry?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • mgarciar
    Options
    thank you all for your suggestions. to answer many of your questions... I do not feel grouchy or tired at all. In the contrary I am always full of energy. I can work out for 2-3 hours a day. There are times that I can not sleep due to the energy I have. I do my best to eat up to 1200 calories, but there are days that I can not do so due to feeling sick or extremely full. My metabolism has not slow down, it has actually speed up. My weight continues to drop based on the diet plan I am in. I do not want to get sick that is why I was wondering if I should eat even when I am not hungry since I do not eat much as it is. I will definitely keep all of your suggestions in mind. Thank you.
  • mgarciar
    Options
    thanks. i try not to, when i do i get sick. :(
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you what to do but I don't. I eat 3 meals a days and snacks but am not forcing myself to eat for the sake of eating, I eat when I'm hungry and fit it all into my daily goal. I'm not going to pine away if I don't eat x amount of calories for a day or two, nor am I worried about "starvation mode" Good luck
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    This happened to me... eat more calorie rich foods i.e. nuts, peanut butter ,etc, but make sure they are healthy. Even some fruit are, relatively, high calorie. Keep doing this, and you'll gradually get your appetite back.

I learned this the hard way.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories will NOT cause starvation mode if you're more than 10% body fat.

You are gravely misinformed in SO MUCH of what you post. I am scared for you honestly. But at the same time your posts always piss me off because you go into threads like these and encourage people to develop your very unhealthy anorexic eating habits. For the sake of your emotional health I truly hope you get the help you need and better educate yourself on fitness, health and diet.

You need to really watch what you post. One of the rules of MFP is to not promote super-low calorie diets, which your posts come very close to doing.

Your posts about breakfast being the "Worst meal of the day" and decreasing adrenaline is just RIDICULOUS I have no idea where you come up with some of the things you post but I think you need to expand your research.
  • mgarciar
    Options
    anorexic? ... i am far from being anorexic. i do not know if this threat is for me. but if you believe i am anorexic, you are completely wrong. i am at the best weight i have ever been. i want to continue doing a great job because i have worked hard. if you think im sick, you should see me. i am healthy, but i do not want my body to shut down that is why i am asking this questions.
    Eating less than 1200 calories will NOT cause starvation mode if you're more than 10% body fat.

You are gravely misinformed in SO MUCH of what you post. I am scared for you honestly. But at the same time your posts always piss me off because you go into threads like these and encourage people to develop your very unhealthy anorexic eating habits. For the sake of your emotional health I truly hope you get the help you need and better educate yourself on fitness, health and diet.

You need to really watch what you post. One of the rules of MFP is to not promote super-low calorie diets, which your posts come very close to doing.

Your posts about breakfast being the "Worst meal of the day" and decreasing adrenaline is just RIDICULOUS I have no idea where you come up with some of the things you post but I think you need to expand your research.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

This makes perfect sense, i never go n2 starvation mode and always wondered why, my bodyfat % is high and i suspect this is true for a lot of ppl who don't strength train-- the MFP. Member who started this post may be short. She didn't list her height but i see her as pretty short and don't think she should " force feed"....esp not to the point of feeling sick.
    Oh Boy, ppl who feel nausea usually can't swallow.
  • mgarciar
    Options
    i love this thread! thank you so much. i will definitely do my best to incorporate these foods into my daily intake. i love fruits and vegetables and eat them frequently so it should not be that hard. :)
    This happened to me... eat more calorie rich foods i.e. nuts, peanut butter ,etc, but make sure they are healthy. Even some fruit are, relatively, high calorie. Keep doing this, and you'll gradually get your appetite back.

I learned this the hard way.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    anorexic? ... i am far from being anorexic. i do not know if this threat is for me. but if you believe i am anorexic, you are completely wrong. i am at the best weight i have ever been. i want to continue doing a great job because i have worked hard. if you think im sick, you should see me. i am healthy, but i do not want my body to shut down that is why i am asking this questions.

Not you OP! Sorry for the confusion! I was referring to "SomeRandomGirl" I apologize for not addressing your original post, but know i was NOT referring to you in my post AT ALL!
  • mgarciar
    Options
    im 5'4 :)

This makes perfect sense, i never go n2 starvation mode and always wondered why, my bodyfat % is high and i suspect this is true for a lot of ppl who don't strength train-- the MFP. Member who started this post may be short. She didn't list her height but i see her as pretty short and don't think she should " force feed"....esp not to the point of feeling sick.
    [/quote]
  • mgarciar
    Options
    no problem. just wanted to reassure that I am far from being anorexic. :) lol. sorry for going of on you, just wanted to clear that up.

Not you OP! Sorry for the confusion! I was referring to "SomeRandomGirl" I apologize for not addressing your original post, but know i was NOT referring to you in my post AT ALL!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

[/quote]

Did you look at the responses to the post? If not, I suggest you do.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Try to get your metabolism to work. I don't know when you eat breakfast but the time of your first meal after waking up does affect how your hunger will be the rest of the day. Breakfast is very important because it keeps your metabolism working and if your metabolism is working, you will get hungry when you need to (and you will loose weight). Also, stay of greasy foods because those can decrease your appetite.
    Hope this helps
  • mgarciar
    Options
    yes, i did. there are some really great ideas, suggestions and research. i am glad to know that i will not go into starvation mode. lol i definitely will keep many of them in mind.

[/quote]
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Try to get your metabolism to work. I don't know when you eat breakfast but the time of your first meal after waking up does affect how your hunger will be the rest of the day. Breakfast is very important because it keeps your metabolism working and if your metabolism is working, you will get hungry when you need to (and you will loose weight). Also, stay of greasy foods because those can decrease your appetite.
    Hope this helps

I second this notion :)
    I've always been a "naturally heavy morning eater", but my schedule for school changed so I would miss breakfast, and consequently wouldn't be hungry at all during the day. Eating a fibrous lunch and/or early morning snack is my preference because breakfast jump starts my metabolism so much so that I'm starving within about 2 hours, and eating a fiber dense breakfast fills you up enough until your next meal, but not so much so that you'll want to skip it.
  • mgarciar
    Options
    this is one of the best threads I have read. thank you.
    Feelings of hunger are far more complicated than indicating a physical need for food. Various physical, mental, and emotional factors come in to play.

If some people always ate when they were hungry, they would gain 2 lbs a week. If others never ate unless they were hungry, they would end up in the ER.

If following your hunger signals doesn't even get you to 1200 calories, then yes, you need to eat when you're not hungry.
    Good point. I should have added:
    1. Learning to differentiate desire to eat, for various reason, from true hunger is a very important part of learning your body's hunger signals.
    2. Man made, artificially concentrated foods can be more calorie dense than foods found in nature, so it's easy to fool your body's satiety mechanism if you are eating processed foods.

Re #2: That is not what he was saying at all.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    No. Learning to listen to your body's own hunger drive is one of the more important things you can learn. Just like if you are hungry, listen to your body and eat some (healthy) food. If you are not hungry, don't eat.
    This is absolutely true the large majority of the time (obviously not in all cases). It's known as "intuitive eating".

This. I'm actually taking a class on this very thing right now. Learn to listen to your body and what certain cues actually mean and you'll be a lot better off!
  • mgarciar
    Options
    thanks ladies. i eat breakfast every day between 8 am - 10 am never later than that. I always eat lunch as well, because i do feel hungry by 1 or 2 pm, but once it is dinner time I am not hungry at all.
    Hope this helps

I second this notion :)
    I've always been a "naturally heavy morning eater", but my schedule for school changed so I would miss breakfast, and consequently wouldn't be hungry at all during the day. Eating a fibrous lunch and/or early morning snack is my preference because breakfast jump starts my metabolism so much so that I'm starving within about 2 hours, and eating a fiber dense breakfast fills you up enough until your next meal, but not so much so that you'll want to skip it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    yes, i did. there are some really great ideas, suggestions and research. i am glad to know that i will not go into starvation mode. lol i definitely will keep many of them in mind.

[/quote]

'Stavation mode' in any context used (rightly or wrongly) is not a black and white line. In the context of a VLCD you run the risk of losing more LBM than on a more moderate deficit. It is not a case of 'going into starvation mode or not'. You don't lose LBM at one calorie level and not at 1 calorie more - it is a continuum. This is also true for hormonal imbalances and metabolic adaptation,