Fruit Sugar!!!

Options
I am making a very real effort to avoid sugar. I have completely cut out all soda from my diet and I haven't had any candy or pastries or anything like that. I have found that regardless of that I am still able to go over on my sugar. One of the biggest culprits seems to be fruit. If I have a banana or an apple or an orange my sugar for that day will be toast. I could switch over to regular cheerios rather than Honey Nut cheerios I guess but there is a very real pitiably threshold there. Are you all able to keep your sugar intake closer to zero?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am making a very real effort to avoid sugar. I have completely cut out all soda from my diet and I haven't had any candy or pastries or anything like that. I have found that regardless of that I am still able to go over on my sugar. One of the biggest culprits seems to be fruit. If I have a banana or an apple or an orange my sugar for that day will be toast. I could switch over to regular cheerios rather than Honey Nut cheerios I guess but there is a very real pitiably threshold there. Are you all able to keep your sugar intake closer to zero?

Do you have a medical condition that is your rationale for trying for 0 sugar or you're just trying to be uber restrictive and make your diet even harder?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No.

While I cut out added sugar, corn syrup and HFCS and I don't add sugar to anything in my food I still eat my fruit because I like it. I don't stress about my sugar intake.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't have a medical condition nor am I trying to make my diet harder. I just know that sugar has a bad reputation for making people fat so I want nothing to do with it. After all becoming fat is the opposite of what I want to do.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been asking myself that very question: Sugar in Fruit.
    I was looking online the other day and I come across this.

Sugar in fruit – what are the facts?

I’ll tackle the “fruit is all sugar” statement first – because it’s just plain wrong. Fresh fruit offers so much more than the natural sugar it contains – including water, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients (those naturally-occurring plant compounds that have wide ranging beneficial effects on the body). Where else can you get a package like that for about 75 calories per serving?

The idea that fruit is “loaded with carbs” or is “full of sugar” needs to be put into perspective, too. It’s true that when you eat fruit, the overwhelming majority of the calories you consume are supplied by carbohydrate – mostly in the form of fructose, which is the natural sugar in fruit.

But that’s the nature not just of fruit, but of all plant foods – they’re predominantly carbohydrate (and that means not just natural sugars, but healthy starches as well as structural elements, like cellulose, that provide fiber). When you eat vegetables, the majority of the calories you’re eating come from carbohydrate, too. But you don’t hear people complaining that vegetables are “loaded with carbs”.

Before dismissing foods as being loaded with sugar, or too high in carbs, consider not only the amount of sugar or carbs you’re eating, but the form of the carbohydrate, too. There’s a big difference between the nutritional value of the natural carbohydrates found in fruits and other plant foods – the sugars, starches and fibers – and what’s found (or, more accurately, what’s not found) in all the empty calories we eat from added sugars that find their way into everything from brownies to barbecue sauce.

Faced with a serving of fruit, how much sugar are we talking about, anyway? An average orange has only about 12 grams of natural sugar (about 3 teaspoons) and a cup of strawberries has only about 7 grams – that’s less than two teaspoons. And either way, you’re also getting 3 grams of fiber, about a full day’s worth of vitamin C, healthy antioxidants and some folic acid and potassium to boot – and it’ll only cost you about 50 or 60 calories. “All sugar”? I think not.

By contrast, a 20-ounce cola will set you back about 225 calories and, needless to say, won’t be supplying any antioxidants, vitamins, minerals or fiber. You’ll just be chugging down some carbonated water, maybe some artificial color and flavor, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 grams of added sugar – about 1/3 of a cup.

Now that’s what I call “full of sugar”.

Written by Susan Bowerman, MS, RD, CSSD

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    IMHO, yes, fruit sugar counts-- to an extent. Some fruits have a higher glycemic index than others. For example, berries of all kinds boast low glycemic indexes. Apples and pears and peaches are low-medium, while watermelon, pineapple and green grapes are high. I try to choose lower GI fruits when possible because they won't spike your blood sugar as much.

That said, you can still balance that all out just by eating something alongside it. Pineapples with cottage cheese. Grapes with cheddar. Stuff like that. I don't overindulge in fruit, but I certainly don't worry too much about the sugar content of it because your diet should balance it out in the end. Just my two cents. :)
  • Acg67
    Options
    I don't have a medical condition nor am I trying to make my diet harder. I just know that sugar has a bad reputation for making people fat so I want nothing to do with it. After all becoming fat is the opposite of what I want to do.

Well are you in a caloric deficit or not? Sugar in and of itself doesn't make you fat
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Excess sugar in your system (fruit or otherwise) causes 'spikes' which lead to cravings. If you have cravings frequently then lowering your sugar intake from all sources will help . Also excess sugar causes 'dips' like that feeling of tiredness some people get after eating lunch.. If you wish to lower your sugar here are some suggestions - you can check my diary if you want more ideas.

- Drink only water or things with no sugar (black coffee/tea)
    - Switch to low sugar fruits like berries instead of bananas and limit to 1 serving per day.
    - Don't eat cereal for breakfast unless its 'plain' like shredded wheat. Most cereal is crap anyway and has no useful nutritional value. Change to things like bacon + eggs or oatmeal (sweetened with berries) for a good protein boost to keep you fuller during the day and eliminate the sugar crashing.
    -snack on things like eggs and low sugar veggies like celery with hummus or crackers and cheese
    - Try to avoid higher sugar veggies like corn and carrots - especially if you have already had fruit that day.

I can't see your diary so I can't make any suggestions based on that ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Therein lies the problem. It's a BAD reputation. It's not the sugar that makes people fat - it's the excess calories and/or lack of movement/exercise that make people fat. Sugar - especially the natural sugars from fruit - is fine. You'd want to have a balanced diet, which would include fruit and all it's sugar and fiber and vitamins.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Well are you in a caloric deficit or not? Sugar in and of itself doesn't make you fat

Since I have rededicated myself to being healthy I have been operating at a calorie deficit every day. If anything I have not been eating enough calories which I am working on. I guess I have been erroring on the side of not eating enough as opposed to too much.
  • Acg67
    Options

Since I have rededicated myself to being healthy I have been operating at a calorie deficit every day. If anything I have not been eating enough calories which I am working on. I guess I have been erroring on the side of not eating enough as opposed to too much.

Then sugar isn't going to make you fat
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    IMHO, yes, fruit sugar counts-- to an extent. Some fruits have a higher glycemic index than others. For example, berries of all kinds boast low glycemic indexes. Apples and pears and peaches are low-medium, while watermelon, pineapple and green grapes are high. I try to choose lower GI fruits when possible because they won't spike your blood sugar as much.

This.

koldri had some good suggestions too. I'd look up south beach phase 2 foods & eat those. theyre low GI, which Koldri actually mentioned the benefits of :) good luck
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Different fruits have different amounts of sugar, apples and bananas are some of the worst unfortunately - berries tend to be low, fresh pineapple, red grapefruit, kiwis are all not too bad either. There are numerous low sugar vegetables. Be aware that all carbs turn to sugar in the body, some faster than other (GI already mentioned). Processed wheat breakfast cereals are a disaster zone, wheat is high GI and modern fine milling leaves the digestive system little work to do - white French bread turns to blood glucose faster than table sugar does! - consider switching to jumbo or steel cut oats or having more protein or fat with your breakfasts.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Different fruits have different amounts of sugar, apples and bananas are some of the worst unfortunately - berries tend to be low, fresh pineapple, red grapefruit, kiwis are all not too bad either. There are numerous low sugar vegetables. Be aware that all carbs turn to sugar in the body, some faster than other (GI already mentioned). Processed wheat breakfast cereals are a disaster zone, wheat is high GI and modern fine milling leaves the digestive system little work to do - white French bread turns to blood glucose faster than table sugar does! - consider switching to jumbo or steel cut oats or having more protein or fat with your breakfasts.

ZOMG! What effect will that have on a healthy individual trying to lose weight?
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Everyone's answers are pretty consistent so in the interest of science I will use fruit to increase the amount of calories I am getting in the first half of the day and see what happens moving forward over the next few weeks.

Just to confirm what we are saying here is if I have a banana, an apple and an orange in the same day and I keep my calories right on target I will be fine regardless of how negative that sugar number gets on my diary.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but this is the impression I am getting.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class while pregnant and I am not going to get ALL into it but from what I learned your blood sugar comes from the carbs in your foods and not actually the sugar grams listed on the box. So if you're trying to avoid sugary foods read your carbs. google carbs and blood sugar and how it affects yours diet and weight. it should also tell you what one carb serving is etc.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Some fruits have a higher glycemic index than others. For example, berries of all kinds boast low glycemic indexes. Apples and pears and peaches are low-medium, while watermelon, pineapple and green grapes are high.
    Different fruits have different amounts of sugar, apples and bananas are some of the worst unfortunately - berries tend to be low, fresh pineapple, red grapefruit, kiwis are all not too bad either

Poster #1 says apples are low medium, Poster #2 says apples are "the worst." Poster #1 says pineapples are high while Poster #2 says pineapples aren't too bad.

No wonder so many run around MFP completely confused :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fruits and the sugar they contain are considered to be "complex"...much different than putting a Tbsp of white sugar on your cereal or downing a 32 Oz coke, etc. Fruit is good for you...obviously you don't want to go overboard, but you should be getting your daily servings of fruits and vegetables; most of those calories come from sugar in either case, so you'll always likely be over your sugar "goal"...but lets just call it "good sugar."

I personally don't track sugar...I manage my macros and I try to get most of my carbs from fruit, veg, and whole grains...just manage the macros and the calories and everything else will fall into place.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any candy or pastries or anything like that.
    I'm sorry
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you've cut out all refined sugar I can't imagine sugar is truly, actually, a problem for you.

MFP nutrition requirements are not always a great target. Unless you have a medical problem then I can't advise you to cut out fruit because you're going over your MFP limit.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any candy or pastries or anything like that.
    I'm sorry

Win.