Dukan Diet?

Options
Anybody ever try the Dukan Diet? Success? Failure?

Replies

• livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    my mom and one of my friends tried it and both were successful. If you stick to the plan almost any diet will work. Dedication is the hardest part. lol
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I lost 28lbs with Dukan and it has stayed off, thinking about returning to it again after xmas as I am not having much luck with slimming world.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    If you stick to the plan almost any diet will work. Dedication is the hardest part. lol

Wow. This is the best answer I ever seen on the MFP forums.

SRS
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    YES I HAVE!!!

Several ladies here at work have done this diet.
    Both have lost a significant amount of weight.
    One gained a bit back, but the other is staying strong.

I think it works, but not sure how long lasting someone would want to keep following those rules.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dedication is the hardest part. lol

THIS ^^^ I believe every "diet" can be successful.

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It worked REALLY well for one of my friends. She dropped a ton of weight. However, when she started eating "normally", the weight crept back... I think many weight-loss diets that have a name associated to them are good if they're use it as a jump-start or a teaching tool (as long as it's safe), but they're often not reasonable for life-time maintenance.

What I DO like about the Dukan diet is that they encourage you to reach weights that are more realistic for your body type. For instance, my BMI show that I should be 107-141. Dukan diet suggested more like 161 for me--a much more reasonable weight for my body-type.

*Edited for my crappy grammatical errors!**
  • SylentZee
    Options
    First off, I read this as the "dunkin" diet...so...that says a lot about me lol.

Second, I've heard of this but never really looked into it.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    it's how Kate Middleton got super thin for her wedding. considering how thin she already was, it's pretty impressive. just food for thought. I did "attack phase" once and it was AWESOME but I didn't do phases 2-4 because I was abroad at the time and I didn't want to waste my last month in Europe on such a strict plan. it really is super super specific for the first three phases :/ but some of the basic rules (take the stairs, walk every day, oat bran, don't get seconds, eat a lot of protein) are awesome and totally worth following even if you don't do the diet.
  • sandip69
    Options
    No diet ever works in the long run. All gains are at best , temporary. Only permanent lifestyle changes have been shown to be efective long term. That's not my personal opinion, there is a substantial evidence base to back this theory up.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    May I ask what's wrong with eating regular food and just sticking to your deficit a good 98% (give or take) of the time? I would agree a set menu or ordering some pre-made, pre- calculated food items would be easy, what happens when you stop?

If it's something you're planning on doing for the rest of your life, fine..enjoy. But if it's just a temporary thing to get you "jump started" you don't really need it.
  • aylanah
    Options
    My best friend has done it and lost 14kg/30lb in the past four months. He would agree that dedication is where it is at. My husband and I are going to try it in the new year. I will be getting the coaching, so we both benefit from the recipes and such. It is a ketogenic diet, so not something I'm planning on doing longer than the prescribed time for me to reach my goal range.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I think I've heard of it, is this the one that makes you really restrict your fat intake? I prefer the 90-10 lifestyle and I stay lifestyle b/c if I think of eating as a diet it makes life a lot harder then it has to be. I eat as clean and healthy as I can 90% of the time and don't worry about the occasional 'bad' thing here and there. I don't like cutting anything out entirely since it just ends up making me want to eat it lol. Doing this I've managed to get to a healthy weight and stay at a healthy weight for the last 5 yrs (not including the pregnancy weight gain, which I've managed to get off twice without any real hardships as well so I think this has def been the best approach for me)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Anybody ever try the Dukan Diet? Success? Failure?

"Dukan Heinz"?! I'm SSSSOOOOO in! Luvz me some cake! :love: :love: :love:
    j/k
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    We have a group of us here on the Dukan diet - it has 4 phases, and each phase has it's purpose - feel free to join the group.

I have been on it for a year on New Year's Eve. I followed the plan except I counted calories as well. it has a long "consolidation period" post the two weight losing phases. It absolutely is not a fat free diet after the first short phase known as "Attack".

I plan to live the rest of my life on the Dukan diet. You are suppose to add back more food than I have (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc) but I feel so much better with out them I get my carbs otherwise.

I would suggest reading the book first and using the on line coaching. Worth every penny!
  • scronan30
    Options
    My fiance and I did the Dukan diet for about a month and a half. Neither one of us lost any weight. One of the side effects is REALLY BAD BREATH!!! So don't forget your tic-tacs!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know people who have done this diet, and gained all the weight back. I feel if you eat healthy, exercise and do it right, anyone can lose weight. So many diets out there are a quick fix, and then your starting all over again.....Just my opinion.....
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I will say I have tried almost every diet in the book. I have to not eat gluten, sugar, dairy, most all grains... because of food sensitivities. Even a paleo diet wasn't working for me. I found the Dukan Diet to be very successful thus far, which I started Monday (it's saturday today) and I have lost about 15 lbs. I am impressed with it. I have had no problems sticking to the strictness, and for me I know I needed that kind of rules. For me it's not calorie in=calorie out because I swell up like a balloon if I eat any of the above forbidden foods. I'd recommend the diet for anyone that has had problems with losing on a low calorie, or low fat diet. I wouldn't pay much attention to a few rules on the Dukan diet, those are eating low fat meat, and not including vegetables. I have eaten some raw veggies and have lost more than I had hoped. The website said I should lose 7.8lbs, but I have lost much more than that. I also think drinking green tea and more water than they recommend are good guidelines to help you succeed. Good Luck!