Hello! Newbie 27yr old, 130 lbs from Chicagoland.

Options
It's about time I introduced myself to the community I suppose :-) I'm a 27 year old female, 5'2", 130 lbs. I have never really worked out in my entire life until very recently. I'm on the small side but I suspect I have a high % of bodyfat. I gain most of my weight in my stomach & hips, much to my dismay. I just bought a tape measurer to do my measurements tonight, I'm pretty nervous to be honest.

I recently had spinal surgery on November 3rd, and I have been in physical therapy for about a month and a half. I gained about 10 lbs since my surgery and I want to lose all of that and then some. I'd like to tone up more than anything and I *really* want to try for a flat stomach, but since I can't do crunches or anything where I bend it's really difficult. I think I'll have to just do a lot of cardio or something?

I am a huge believer in an organic diet. My husband and I love to learn about & dabble with a 100% raw food diet, I really believe that's the healthiest way to live for most people. It's just really hard to go raw in the Chicago winter, it's freezing out and I like my warm meals! I am vegetarian and have been having a really hard time meeting the protein requirements on MFP.

Okay this is long enough & all over the place now... I hope to meet like-minded health conscious (vegetarians would be a plus!) people on here to inspire & help motivate me! If anyone who has had spinal surgery has any recommendations on workouts or anything that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Replies

• johnmcfarm
    Options
    Welcome noseovertail, This is a great place to stay motivated! We all have our ups and downs but MFP keeps me going on my "long distance" quest of 95 pounds! See you around the site.
  • freedMan
    Options
    Welcome noseovertail!

I would suggest that you get a bodyfat percentage test done to determine your exact BMI. This way you can ensure you are lolsing a healthy amount of weight! Once you have that number in hand, you can get grips on what weight is healthy for you and set it as a goal!

Good luck!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. How do I get a bodyfat percentage test? Does that have to be done at the doctor? I'm pretty broke, so I'm limited in what I can buy right now.
  • freedMan
    Options
    You can get it at some clinics and hospitals, or gyms, but I go to a local college because it costs $20. They usually provide it cheaper because its practice for the students! If you have a college nearby, look for their heath or performance lab!