Success Stories of People on Anti~Depressants!

Options
I would LOVE to hear of success stories of people who had gained weight while on anti~depressants, but, lost and maintained. Cheerz to you all and Happy Holidays!:drinker:

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I gained at least 25-30lbs on anti-depressants. I was taking them to see if it helped Fibromyalgia like symptoms (no official diagnosis - only had 9 of 11 needed 'trigger points'). It was bad. The ONLY thing I wanted to eat were sweets. Donuts, cereal, cake....... craved them ALL the time.

I told the doctor I could not continue that way & woukd prefer the pain of whatever is wrong with me.

I did lose about 17lbs on a 1500 calorie a day diet. Gained some back over time because I stopped watching what I ate.

Got sick of buying bigger & bigger clothes & feeling awful. A friend sent me here almost a year ago. Haven't lost as much as I would like BUT I feel & look so luch better & am aware of what & how much I am putting into my body.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on Anti-Depressants and I'm not a success story...YET, but here's something that may help you, you beautiful fabulous winner you! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

The more Stressed you are = The slower you'll lose weight

Cortisol is a hormone released in your body when stress levels are high telling your brain "you're hungry and you need to eat more to combat all this stress" and…

The more stressed you are = the more hungry you are, making it harder for you to stick to your weight loss plan causing you to eat too much and lose weight slower so See 100 ways to lower stress here

100 ways to reduce stress

http://www.nowloss.com/ways-to-reduce-stress.htm
  • scronan30
    Options
    I am currently on anti-depresents, it has not affected my weight loss at all. My MD prescribed me one of the medications that is suppose to boost your energy levels, so really I am more alert.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was on anti-depressants for several years. Im talking over a decade. Growing up I was always an athlete playing several sports a season. Once I graduated high school I quit playing sports and gained several pounds over the years. Several times I had tried to loose the weight with no success, I don't know if it was maturity, motivation, or the anti-depressants. When I was 25 I finally realized I had been on the medications for so many years because that was just what doctors had told me I needed. I worked with my doctor and stopped taking them. Since then I have lost 85 lbs and feel better than ever. My story may be one where I was a child overly medicated because that was what was done, and never questioned it into adulthood, it is all I knew. I support seriously questioning whether or not you need the medications, I know some people do, it just wasnt for me. I believe as a result of taking them I gained weight and then couldnt get it off. Once off I lost the weight and have kept it off. Feel free to ask questions or private message me. Good luck!

- JoAnna
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've been an anti-depressant since late July. At first I lost a few pounds because I wasn't hungry which is a side effect of that particular medication. After a couple weeks my appetite returned and I continued to eat like before. I didn't observe an increase in cravings, uncontrollable eating, etc. I changed my lifestyle on Oct. 20th and have lost almost 11 lbs while still on my medication. I'm starting to feel even better now that I'm having success losing weight and exercising 3-5 times a week. I'll talk with my doc in a couple months about going off the meds to see what happens.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had been taking anti-depressants since I was 15 until August this year (they figured out that I am borderline and therefore I am so prone to depressions) and this "disease" also carry some form of body-dysmophia, so putting on weight was so very difficult for me and I used to be a little hottie until I was 17 and was put on stronger pills also know as efexes (a medium strenght antidepressants) during the half year I was on that I put on 17 kg (38lbs) and so I tried and tried to lose weight, but every time I tried to to control the calorie intake which meant that my portion sizes also had to be reduced (a started eating healthy so I got plenty of food within my calories) my body would go into that damn starvation mode, so I quit taking them and about a month after I wasn't feeling hungry all the time anymore and I couldn't eat as much as I used to so then I started losing weight, but after 4 months I had to be put on medication again and this time they gave med the strongest they could give me and I then had put all in all from I was 17 to 18 years old 60lbs on -DREAD! and then the medication started making me weird so I said to myself no more, if everybody else doesn't have to live like this then I won't neither, and quit taking the ant-depressant. After 2 month I started losing weight slowly, -this was in November and now in this December it going great.

but I go to group therapy where everyone has experienced putting on weight from 10lbs-100lbs (only the people on the mildest kind of anti-depressants did not put on any weight) and sadly not any of those people, and the doctors say the same, has been able to lose any weight while on the medications without having an eating disorder.

you have to think about it -it is medicine that affects the brain and all the signals it sends to the body and that is why it reacts badly to trying to lose weight. Oh! and it is medically proven that anti-depressants make you hungrier. :sad:
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ''medically proven that anti-depressants make you hungrier. sad''

load of bollocks! been on anti depressants for 4 yrs, do not buy that crap that they cause weight gain at all sorry.

People use it as an excuse
  • MelissaLWH
    Options
    I'm on a low dose of an SSRI because I have generalized anxiety disorder. I haven't noticed any issues with it affecting my weight-loss. I've lost at about the same rate with the same amount of discipline as I did when I wasn't on an anti-depressant. I don't really have any side effects, aside from when the pharmacy switched the manufacturer of my generic and I was apparently allergic to one of the fillers. I had some serious side effects then, and was rather surprised that I didn't lose measurable weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!