Exercise and Panic Disorders

2»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    I have had anxiety & PTSD for years. Counseling helped a lot, meds help keep things to a dull roar most of the time, running has virtually eliminated the day-to-day anxiety. I still have issues if I'm heavily triggered, but my regular daily function has improved 1000% since I started running regularly.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I have generalized anxiety disorder. Exercise definitely helps me manage it.

This for me too. I also have social anxiety disorder but that's a whole different ball game.

I always feel much calmer and much better after a work out. Even if it's less intense than my usual.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    One last thought. There is not clear cut single remedy for getting free of any anxiety disorder as we all are made different, have different experiences that can contribute to PD, PTSD, etc.

However, from professional and personal experience and education, these are some of the key components to moving forward and eventually living panic/anxiety free:
    1. Seek professional help from a person specializing in these areas, even if it is online, or just a few visits.
    2. Bibliotherapy is great..when guided...that being reading material to educate yourself.
    3. A healthy diet per your body type, age, gender, blood type, etc. is absolutely crucial.
    4. Knowing your personality type and how your are made per your mental processes will be a good thing.
    5. A reasonable exercise program designed to not only burn cals, but to relieve stress and that will vary from person to person.
    6. Surround yourself with friends and family you trust for a support group...this is a serious and debilitating illness, but can be overcome.
    7. It may take some time, but for a season, try to find the right medication for you whether it be pharmaceutical or natural.
    8. Realize and accept that what works for one person could be another person's poison. Your solution will be unique to you.
    9. Be patient and open to change.
    10. Reality therapy...facing your panic triggers is a great process, but take it one step at a time...for instance, at my worse, going to a doctor's office terrified me. So, my doc allowed me to just come and sit in his waiting room as long as I could. As time went by, I no longer was afraid as I realized, he was there to help me, not hurt me.
    11. Learn to resolve any family issues...THAT'S A HUGE one. Another subject for another day.
    12. Finally, realize you are not alone. The stats on people who suffer from anxiety and stress right now are staggering.

There is no get it done quick pill or method, but yes...exercising is so important. Self acceptance and moving forward are key. Getting the right kind of help and helping yourself will work.

Everyone here has given some of their heart to you and it is great to see and hear what has worked for them. Lot's of great stuff. At the basal level, human beings really do care, notably when someone is at their worst.

I wish you peace and my door is open to you and anyone else as I am able.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I get panic attacks and have been treated more than once for anxiety.

I had a panic attack at work about 2 weeks ago. That night, I went to the gym for 20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill followed by about 10 minutes of walking, even though I felt really drained from the attack. Felt 100% better afterward and slept like a log. Since I started exercising regularly and really sticking with my schedule, I have seen an overall reduction in anxiety and I've only had that one panic attack.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    OK..forgot about this and I apologize...this is from a seminar/clinic and one on one therapy I teach about how to breathe from the belly...

BREATHE ACRONYM AND NOTES

The acronym is: BREATHE. Most people do not know how to breath properly, but there is far more to it than that. Here are the basics

B: learn to breath from deep in your belly. All that is required is to take air in and out from their rather than your chest (called short breathing). This fills all off your lungs with good oxygen flow to provide your system with basic health. It also releases toxins and excess CO2 that can build up.
    R: Relax. Everyday, even if you close your office door or go to the break room at work…just somewhere take a 5 minute vacation as you deep breathe and think of some wonderful person, place, etc. and focus on that. When at home…take as long as you want. But do it at least 3 to 5 times a day. We waste that much time on FB…ooops!
    E: Exhale. Breathe out fully. Not only the air in your lungs, but the stressors or troubles or difficulties as you relax.
    A: Attitude. There is nothing more than a good laugh, a smile, a touch on someone's shoulder, a hug, thinking good thoughts. One great prophet years ago said, "As a man (person) thinks…so is he." Happiness is an emotion and really a choice. Even in the worst of conditions. It does take practice, training and time. Grief is a good thing. Crying is a good thing. But keeping a good attitude keeps us balanced.
    T: Temperature. As you relax during the day or otherwise, take your own temperature by asking: "How do I feel? Am I stressed? Is anything bothering me? When is the last time I took a break?" Etc. Just stay in contact with your soul and body as often we get so busy…we don't and come home very tired and stressed.
    H: Healthy living. BREATHE does help to bring us good health. As much as possible, try to live a healthy life.
    E: Everyday. That's right, make this a lifestyle.

It does take time and effort to learn to make this a habit, but it will help in the process and in some cases, eliminate the panic all together.

Again, not trying to be a Poindexter...just offering a hand.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Thanks gosh there's so much information here I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read it all but I will as soon as I get home from the gym tonight, I AM going to go, even if only for a half hour, so that the panic doesn't win.
    So, i'm hoping the meditation classes will help me with that and also help me with my breathing as i'm a chronic chest breather, I can't even describe how hard I have to concentrate to breathe from my belly!

I started suffering badly from panic and anxiety disorder about 2 years ago after a lifelong battle with depression that was finally solved by medication, but the disorder came out of nowhere 3 years after that! I was terrified, going to the ER with attacks, and everything. I suffer from severe asthma and when I have an attack, I can't breathe, and it acts like anaphylactic (sp) shock, so it was really scary. I also break out in hives all over that nothing but prednisone can solve. :( I still have really bad PTSD and anxiety, but even with things lately - I haven't had an attack in three weeks.... *crosses fingers*

So, I started seeing a therapist and it has helped me immensely. The very first thing she asked me was if I get regular exercise. It's paramount to keeping the chemicals in the brain more regulated, because with the anxiety - we tend to have a hypersensitive nervous system, and the endorphins can help. The second thing she did was remind me and help me work on deep breathing techniques. I was a classically trained vocalist until I got out of school, and so I knew how, I just 'forgot'. Breathing is *REALLY* important to overcoming and coping with anxiety, both preventing attacks and surviving and recovering from them. I can't emphasize how much that alone has helped me. I actually do it WHILE I'm doing cardio - which has helped with my asthma attacks as well. Whenever I start to get a little short of breath - I just take 7-10 really deep breaths, even while on the treadmill, and I'm able to avoid both my inhaler and a possible future anxiety attack.

I will say that I totally understand the exhaustion and drain that the attacks put on you. Mine can take 3-4 days to recover from, and it's the only reason I carry medication (which has only been necessary in extreme situations), because I can't afford that kind of downtime. I do take it a little easier in the gym after one, because if I push it, I can be sidelined by a migraine too. But I still make it a point to fight back!

I wish you all the best, and if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm around. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    ^^^It's so true. I just saw my doctor the other day to deal with some health issues from the stress (PTSD). She explained that the health issues were absolutely a result of serious stress. And the very first thing she said was that she was very glad I am a dancer and go to the gym. Physical exercise that has a nourishing, healing, relaxing, beneficial component to me was her number one recommendation
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    I have/had severe social anxiety. Was on meds for some time when I was a teen. And I will tell you first hand- EXERCISE WORKS. From the science standpoint it causes your body to emit chemicals, endorphins and such, that are mood boosters. The more you do, the better you will feel- TRUST ME.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Since I've been heading to the gym more and seeking counseling my anxiety disorder is more under control than it was with me just trying to ignore it.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    A lot of good information on this thread.... I suffer from GAD/Depression and currently taking meds to try and somewhat fix the problem.

Sometimes when working out I get a sudden panic attack and it scares the bujeezus out of me : /

Glad to see the support!