Shoulder Issues

Options
I'm having shoulder issues from time to time, particularly when I lift heavy. I'm an older guy (46). It is my left (non-dominate) shoulder. I think it is an impingement. I can feel it during shoulder press. I've given it an extra few days rest, and don't appear to have any loss of strength. Any recommendations on how to handle this. Are there preferred warm ups? Are there specific exercises I should do.

Replies

• TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to see a Chiropractor. It may be that the pain is associate with misalignment in the spine and your simply putting extra stress on it lifting weights. I say this because I have a ton of shoulder pain, but mine is caused by issues with my spine.

If it's not that, then you may be doing the move wrong, in which case I would recommend a trainer (although, depending on the Chiropractor, they may be able to tell you that too.)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm having shoulder issues from time to time, particularly when I lift heavy. I'm an older guy (46). It is my left (non-dominate) shoulder. I think it is an impingement. I can feel it during shoulder press. I've given it an extra few days rest, and don't appear to have any loss of strength. Any recommendations on how to handle this. Are there preferred warm ups? Are there specific exercises I should do.

Make sure you're warming up enough. Buy yourself a pair of light-long or mini-long bands and do band pull-aparts and shoulder separators with them. Do 50 - 100 pull-aparts per day. I watched Joe DeFranco teach this and John Meadows has something called the "Spider". No exaggeration, these literally saved my shoulder and my ability to lift. I honestly saw myself having shoulder surgery this year I was in that much pain.

And of course, check your form on Shoulder and Bench Pressing exercises. Also watch how you curl, if you curl, because going heavy with a barbell or even dumbbell curl can stress your shoulder if your form sucks.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain? If you haven't try to start taking Aleave 2 times a day for a couple of weeks.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I have been having shoulder problems. 4 years ago, a partial rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder, this year, tendenitis in my right. Seek medical attention to rule out an injury. If you are feeling pain, you might just have a strain or tendenitis. I tore my left rotator cuff trying to just work through the pain. That was a bad idea.

I just saw the orthopedic surgeon today for the pain in the right shoulder. He recommended physical therapy for 5 weeks and no lifting. Not happy, but nothing I can do.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    this stretch helped my tight shoulders no end

skip to 2.55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=cgxr6xAB5ZM