Personal trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer - originally I was only going to see him for a couple of months just to work on form, but now I can't imagine not working with him. It's kind of a hurt on the finances, but I'm willing to give up other things to make it work. I really did luck out - he knows what he's talking about, and he's an excellent motivator. I'm stubborn too - it took awhile before I started actually doing what he said, but whenever I did, the results would be what he said they would, so now the rule is "Patrick is always right, listen to him." :tongue:

So yeah. I definitely recommend getting a trainer at least to work on your form - you can follow a video, but you can't see yourself the way someone outside of you can, so they can help you fix things you don't even know you're doing wrong. (Let's not talk about my squats six months ago.) When I first started looking into getting one, I saw that most offered a free initial consultation, so I'd definitely try out a few. Like I said, I lucked out - when I went for my free consult, he suggested working with another trainer at first but when I told him my goals he really paid attention and came up with a plan that fit them, even though they were maybe kind of unusual. If you don't feel like they're listening or like they're pushing a one-size-fits-all plan on you, I wouldn't bother going back.

The only downside is that now I wish I had a trainer to motivate me for everything else. "You can do it! Print that TPS report! Come on, two more! Coversheet! Coversheet!"
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I will be in search of someone who is medically knowledgeable and affordable, come January or Feb when finances permit.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com

Use the free 12 week trainers. Teach you the basics and gives you a plan... FOR FREE. I'm on Week 10 of the Kris Gethin 12 week trainer and I've seen amazing results. Regardless of whether or not you have a trainer, you MUST do the work.

I'm looking into this. I had a personal trainer that I loved but it got really expensive. I want to do heavy lifting but will have to go it alone. All I do is join the site & that's it??? No hidden fees or costs??
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have one because is provided by my employer free of cost. It has been of great help for me.. Look at my profile stats... very staisfied with my results...

damn where do you work that gives you a personal trainer???? where can i apply
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have someone that I trust and we work on squat, deadlift and press form, and he's also teaching me some techniques that are more powerlifting oriented. Fun stuff.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have a Yoda, the internet, a pro I can run to if im alone and, thanks to MFP, many lifting friends of both genders.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily have to be the biggest guy or girl in the gym, but someone that genuinely cares about your progress and wants to train you to where you can carry on an effective workout on your own as well.

LOL my gym's trainer is this tiny little thing. She's like 5' 2" and MAYBE 110 pounds. Wealth of information and encouragement.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I had one many years ago.

Its not like he radically transformed me. What he did was set the tone early and often that with dedication, pushing hard, always pushing it that one last rep that you think you can't pull off, I could make and see progress. He gave me a routine and it was very hard to 'cancel' or 'postpone' our workouts because he wouldn't let me hear the end of it.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yep ... train with him 2x/week ... the other days are on my own ... He corrects poor form, introduces new exercises, identifies problem/weak muscle groups need to focus on, pushes me harder then I can push myself ... worth every penny ... ummmm but they Do cost alot of $pennies$ lol!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I started working with a trainer about a month ago. It is money well spent. I was approaching a year with doing this on my own. The last 12 lbs have been rather difficult to shed. I pushed myself & lost close to thirty pounds but, then came a cycle of losing & gaining the same 2 lbs. I looked very good with clothes but, without clothing my body was squishy. I was fearful to do strength training on my own for fear of injuring myself. I felt working with a trainer would help me tighten up, get correct form, shed the final 12lbs & look good with or without clothes.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started with my PT in February this year and I work out with him once a week. I chose to get a PT as I wanted to start strength training, did not feel comfortable in the weights room, and had no idea what to do. I will continue with my PT as he mixes up my work outs (I tend to do the same exercises) and I still think I have a lot to learn.

With regards to the cost, I believe its worth it, and in the past I probably would have spent the cost of a PT session in the pub.
  • elizcarman
    Options
    I belong to the local YMCA and they have programs where you can meet with a PT twice a week as part of a group. That makes it much more affordable. It is turning out to be some of the best money I have ever spent. Plus my PT lost 120 lbs before going to school to be a PT so he has been there.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a personal trainer but I totally would do it! I'm in a free 12-wk personalized weight training program through the Y and I have a coach for that. I'm also in a challenge at the Y and have another coach for that, my instructor is the best and I can get great advice from everything from yoga to weights, from cross fit classes to running. If you can't afford a trainer check into what your local ymcs offers with a membership.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    At my gym we are suppose to get one free session a month with a PT but so far my experience has been very poor. The first trainer I had was 1/2 my age and I don't know where he got his training but he did not listen to me, then would be texting while I was doing the work, then the next one was just interested in me buying more training sessions. Now it seems all the trainers are booked up for 'paying' customers. I pay for that membership and feel I should be able to get what I pay for...ok done venting.

I would love to have a trainer just show me the proper way to lift
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have two friends that are personal trainers, but I can't afford to pay them. :frown:
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Best money I have ever spent in my entire life!!! I agree that not all are created equal but do the work to try and find one that is. Just look at my results...that's all from the amazing motivation, accountability and knowledge that I received from my trainer. I would live in my car before I'd stop training!
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks for the tip
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting a Trainer for the simple fact that I don't know the correct form for the machines and I really only want to do what will give me the best results I want. I don't want to waste time on machines or exercises that won't help a woman of 55 who just wants to look nice. I have put it off because of the cost involved.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm a PT.

I became a PT because trainers like Yoovie described exist, exercise and fitness has been my biggest interest for the longest time and I like helping people, but not as much as I hate people that sell nonsense.

This. I started studying for my certification as a back-up plan a few years ago between jobs. I have had a trainer in the past, he was great at motivating and teaching me new exercises - just not reliable (would cancel at the last minute, etc). But I also know now he was training me wrong - high reps/low weight, rather than the opposite, which has transformed my body over the past 2 months. Also, in the long run it's been cheaper for me to get certified and learn more reading on my own and train myself now.

But with that said, I still do some of the same exercises he showed me then. And I also saw a trainer at my gym in the past few weeks doing some of the exercises I do, with her clients now.