Hot Yoga - Does Heat Really Make a Difference? Good or Bad?

Options
Okay, I've been hearing about Hot Yoga. Some folks recommend getting the DVD as a good travel exercise video. Others talk about going to the classes and having it be an amazing experience. My thing is this... it is supposed to be done in a room that is 105 degrees? Really? So, you turn a heater on in a small room if you have the DVD or what? Does the heat really make that much difference? Wouldn't that stress you out? Couldn't that also be bad for you? Just curious. I've done some regular yoga in my time. I'd like to know what folks who are familiar with both versions think.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think you are asking fo trouble there as hot yoga rooms are properly vented and air fed to keep oxygen levels up. Is anyone around to check in on you should you faint?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think you are asking fo trouble there as hot yoga rooms are properly vented and air fed to keep oxygen levels up. Is anyone around to check in on you should you faint?

Valid point. Not trying it right now... just posing the question. I can't imagine how I would even heat the place up and why I would want to, but I am willing to learn new things. <g>
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think it is the kind've thing you would go to a studio for rather than do at home as the cost alone would be prohibitive.

An old idea which still works, was to warm one room up where you can do your yoga and go soak in a hot bath for a while until the heat has penetrated your muscles.

You will find your yoga session is more rewarding as your muscles will be so much more supple and giving.

Or go and book into a hot yoga session to see if you like it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I don't do hot yoga. I have low blood pressure and heat can cause me to get dizzy, light headed and pass out/throw up. I also break out in hives from high temperatures. I get warm enough from regular yoga and sweat a lot.

Hot yoga is probably nice during the cold winter or for people that feel cold easily. I'm always warm (when I am indoors and moving).
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The heat doesn't make you burn more calories - you just lose more water (you sweat more).
    Once you rehydrate you gain that water back.

Being cold and shivering on the other hand does burn more calories since shivering = moving = burning calories. Not enough to matter of course, but in a hot vs. cold battle cold would win calorie wise. Haha.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I never heard of hot yoga at home:ohwell: Doesn't sound safe. I've done a handful of hot yoga classes at a studio and although I'm not sure I buy into the burning a whole a lot extra calories claim....all I know is it feels like a great workout and I enjoy it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, I don't like hot yoga. I live in a hot climate, and I don't mind doing yoga outside when it's over 90 - but I don't get heating up a room to such a temp.

I've never done the 105 degree yoga. The hottest I've ever gone was a 90 degree Ashtanga class with David Swenson (he's yoga famous, you can google him). I figured if I didn't like that, I wouldn't like Ashtanga. He's a great guy and teacher, but it wasn't for me.

If you like to run outside in the heat and really work up a sweat, hot yoga might be for you.

You will go further in a hot room - your muscles will stretch more easily. The downside is that it is easier to go too far when your very warm and injure yourself - a pulled hamstring is pretty common. That's really the only difference I know of.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to do Bikraim yoga (or hot yoga) quite regularly. The room is not heated to assist you in losing weight, the room is heated to improve your flexibility during the workout. When I did bikraim I didn't do it to lose weight, I did it to gain endurance and flexibility and enjoyed the quietness and focus through the breathing and movements. Now, don't get me wrong the moves are not easy and the classes last 90 minutes so you are getting a workout. I honestly don't think you'd get the same benefits by trying to heat up a room in your house. I say if your interested go check out a real class. To get back to your question, Yes the heat makes a difference; however, just now all that sweating is water you will only lose weight if you are burning less calories than you are consuming.

edit: the only reason I no longer do it is because it's hard to find classes in the new city I live in, but I loved it